Thinking about picking up the Eastsound CD-E5
Apr 11, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #16 of 1,228
I love Babelfish - here's a translation from a portion of the Eastsound CD-E5 website:

"Sound of the Eastern is the domestic first success warm makes up the clock to apply the end product CD machine design the factory, this E5 is not naturally exceptional, the left side is the value Philippines warm does not make up the clock, right side is the improvement has revised digital contact surface IC, has the higher operating speed and the precision."

OK, got that?

Mike

Apr 12, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #17 of 1,228
LOL... yeah, I thought it was pretty funny too
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #18 of 1,228
I emailed Snowy from Cattylink for an update on my package today. He asked me earlier if I would rather he send the CD-E5 right away or if I would like him to send me the newer upgraded CD-E5 when they arrive. Naturally I went for the upgraded version at no additional charge.
cool.gif

He said that they are coming in some time this week before Saturday. I also asked if he had any more information about the upgrades. He responded with the following. Quote:

Originally Posted by Cattylink
The enhancement will be done on the transport mechanism only and this will provide even more accurate imaging and better bass resolution.

Sounds promising.
wink.gif

I wonder if it will still be using the same Phillips transport with some changes to the way it is mounted or to its PSU... or maybe they are putting in a completely new transport of higher quality? Either way I figured it was worth the wait.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #19 of 1,228
Here is a very nice review of the CD-E3, its predecessor. If they like it that much I am even more excited about getting my CD-E5.
biggrin.gif

They also seem to like the CD-E5 here... ummm, at least I think they do.
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #20 of 1,228
Please update us when you've had a chance to listen. I'm very interested in this same cd player and would also love to know if anyone has the lowdown on any well-made, chineese, solid-state 2 channel amps.

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #21 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
Please update us when you've had a chance to listen. I'm very interested in this same cd player and would also love to know if anyone has the lowdown on any well-made, chineese, solid-state 2 channel amps.

I suggest you send an email to Cattylink and ask their opinion. I've found Snowy's suggestions and advice very helpfull. I get the impression that he actually has experience with all of his gear and is not just looking to make a quick sale.

The CDP is supposed to arrive some time before Saturday this week and he will send it to me after a quick QA test. I'll let you know as soon as it arrives.
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #22 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703

I'm not sure what kind of price range you're looking for but there has been a bit of a buzz about the new Eastern Electric M520 integrated amp and the MiniMax also seems to be fairly well regarded. The Prima Luna Prologue One has also garnered quite a bit of praise.

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #23 of 1,228
Hello,
My name is Andrew and I couldnt help but notice, my comments about the cd e5 were pasted by Snowy Law on this board. Yes I have a cde5 mated to the Korsun v8i and I have to say this cd player is very very good for the price and I really can actually listen to my cd collection which I havent listend to over 6 years. My turntable front end of a Pink Triangle PT TOO has been my main source for a long time, but sometimes you cant find albums on the vinyl side of things, so I am glad I picked up this cd player from cattylink.

The player is musical and surprisingly is quite involving, it has timing unlike my old primare cd player and it excels at playing jazz vocals such as dana krall, norah jones (I have her on both vinyl and cd, and yes the vinyl is still the better medium but the cd is pretty okay too)

I do recommend cattylink, they are reliable and they provide honest advice in my humble opinion.

Furthermore, I have compared their analog research silver raincoat cable against a Van Den Hul D103 MKII interconnect, and after several blind audio tests where my wife did he swapping out of the cables, I preferred the supplied interconnects!

I can provide more comments on the cd player, as I have listened to it for now over 3 months.

thanks,

andrew

Apr 14, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #24 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by awhyu
I can provide more comments on the cd player, as I have listened to it for now over 3 months.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for all your comments on Cattylink and your experience with them. That makes me feel better about my order with them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Any other impressions that you can give of the CD-E5 would be greatly appreciated.
cool.gif

Thanks,

Jason

Apr 15, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #25 of 1,228
If you've read posts on Audio Asylum about the E5 chances are their mine
smily_headphones1.gif
You won't be disappointed guaranteed. I've had mine since last September. It is everything it is said to be and more.

Most of this is a duplicate of what I have posted on AA, but for those who might be interested.

Tube midrange but with slam, bass and extension. Exceptional with every type of music. Audiocostruzioni (who uses the E5 as their reference player) had a shootout with the Jolida and Cayin tubed CDP's. Actually a very good choice of opponents even thought the Eastsound as you already know is all Solid State. Eastsound won hands down. The importer who distributes to Sekei. Ohio Valley Audio and many other found out my CD5 was in the shippment and asked to borrow it for a few weeks. Andy from Sekei shipped it from here in Indiana back to his distributor in Florida. The importer absolutely hates Solid State. He compared it to his Shengya and Jolida tube CDP's and was shocked when he found out there were no tubes in the E5.

On a European Forum the E5 was compared to a $2800 Copland CDP that had been modified. The owner of the Copland said the Eastsound "disintigrated" his Copland. And you've already read where the $300 Cattylink Cd-E3 equaled or bettered a $1500 Creek CDP and $3500 Lexicon universial player.

What finally made me pull the trigger were the comments of a Canadian Audiophile who owned the E5. Turns out he owns a high end audio store. He refused to name what he had compared it to since he was a dealer, but said it sounded as good as any CDP he sold. Some priced as high as $9000.

Two pieces of advice. Give it a good 100+ hours of break in. Although it sounds great out of the box it will only improve, but the overall sound will remain the same.

Second use the RCA outputs rather then the balanced. RCA bypasses the Opamps and has dual class A output. Balanced goes thru the opamps. Background noise thru the RCA's is dead quiet. You may hear a slight hum with the unit but once you hit play its tomb quiet. I believe the balanced was maybe a after though or possibly found to be inferior. When Eastsound came out with their S8A integrated amp (which is cosmetically identical to the E5) they did not bother to include balanced inputs on the amp. If you really want to use balanced, one poster stated he got great results using Burr Brown OPA627? but it took 8.

Finally using babelfish you can find out a good amount of info on Eastsounds own forum.

Enjoy BW Maxx

Apr 15, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #26 of 1,228
Some one mentioned interest in Chinese amps. Cattylink has some excellent amps listed on their website. I would forget those. One word: Jungson. Available from several dealers here in the states and with warranty.

Besides the BFS review there will be another review of 2 Jungson amps coming out within a few months. I have no idea what it will say but the reviewer bought both amps!

They also have a $400 integrated that is giving many amps at 4X the price some serious competition.

BW Maxx

Apr 15, 2005 at 10:45 AM Post #27 of 1,228
Hi Phildox,
Yes I would agree with the others, the eastsound e5 is really quite an astounding player and for a player which is only around £350 quid it must be quite a bargain, it is well made, and there are some nice touches for example small metal spikes/studs that allow you to fit them under the rubber feet, the overall feel of the unity is quality. Admittedly, it doesnt win any awards for looks, but interms of sonic ability, this is no doubt a good player!

Yes I have good experience with cattylink and snowy law, and they do endeavour to deliver quality customer service.

Regards,

Andrew

Apr 15, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #28 of 1,228
Interesting the looks were the thing that first caught my eye with the Eastsound. Of course I live in the States and we tend to love big and bold styling. My integrated is massive and the large size and style of the E5 make a really good looking package.

I might add one more thing. Cattylink probably is the best option. Even though I got mine from Andy at Sekei it was a special order. Since then Eastsound has been aquired by Sendsound a Chinese company that primarily builds speakers. Sendsound perty much shut down direct distribution in North America so you've got to import.

Curious they will make 110v versions but don't have direct distribution. Another Audio Enthusiast friend of mine has been aggressively trying to find a E5 here in the states since last October and has had no luck. The message he got from Cattylink was total price for a E5 (110V North American version) was about $750 with shipping. Cattylink also offers the option of running in the E5 for 120 hours before shipping at no additional charge. I would take then up on the 120 hour offer with any equipment . Cheap insurance.

BW Maxx

Apr 15, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #29 of 1,228
Hey Maxx,

Nice to see you posting here, your comments at the asylum were part of what helped me arrive at this decision. Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxxC
It is everything it is said to be and more.

That is exactly what I like to hear.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Give it a good 100+ hours of break in. Although it sounds great out of the box it will only improve, but the overall sound will remain the same.

They will be pre-burning it in for me, but I will be sure to give it a fair amount when it arrives as well. I will also be burning in my new headphone amp, so it works out well.
wink.gif
Quote:

Second use the RCA outputs rather then the balanced. RCA bypasses the Opamps and has dual class A output. Balanced goes thru the opamps. Background noise thru the RCA's is dead quiet. You may hear a slight hum with the unit but once you hit play its tomb quiet. I believe the balanced was maybe a after though or possibly found to be inferior. When Eastsound came out with their S8A integrated amp (which is cosmetically identical to the E5) they did not bother to include balanced inputs on the amp. If you really want to use balanced, one poster stated he got great results using Burr Brown OPA627? but it took 8.

This is interesting. I was planning on using the RCA's in any case, but it is a little strange that they would have the opamps only on the balanced output isnt it?
confused.gif

None of my other components are balanced in any case, so the RCA's are much preferable for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Admittedly, it doesnt win any awards for looks, but interms of sonic ability, this is no doubt a good player!

Actually, I quite like the look of it and I think it should pair pretty well with my new headphone amp [follow the veda audio dynahi link in my sig]. Quote:

Yes I have good experience with cattylink and snowy law, and they do endeavour to deliver quality customer service.

Yeah, I have nothing but good things to say about Snowy Law. He was very helpfull and set my mind at ease.

I appreciate you both posting here on head-fi about this player as there is little known of it on the english speaking internet. I hope to see you here more often... who knows, maybe we will trick you into buying some crazy headphones.
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #30 of 1,228
Another quick question... In the logo shown in this picture in the upper left corner of the faceplate, is that an LED between the 'E' and 'sound'? If so what colour is it? Do you think it would be hard to remove that logo without damaging the case? I just think that the red looks a little tacky and if the LED is not green I may replace it with a green one.

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back