Thinking about Cowon J3...
Jul 5, 2011 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MicroNik

Head-Fier
Hi!

So I'm fed up with iPod right now. It's not a matter of sound quality or lack of FLAC support; that's the least of my worries here. My problem is the software and firmware. I'm sorry but iTunes is a b***h to work with. For some reason it randomly rejects my music files at times. And for some reason after I sync my iPod, I unplug it and take it out with me and it says I have no songs. It deleted everything from my iPod!

I'm looking for a new, easy to use player and Cowon are really given props here. The J3 looks really nice and I hear the quality is excellent. I was looking at the C2 but my budget can support something..better(?). It just seems that the J3 is an upgrade to it. I like that it has a super HD screen and all of that. But how is the firmware? Is it quick and responsive? Do you have advanced EQ options? I also saw the the S9 fits my budget (under $200) as well. Although I can't see much difference besides the more attractive feature on Cowon's website, what are the benefits of each? The S9 seems a bit newer, does that necessarily mean its better?

So Cowon S9 or J3? The prices on Amazon seem roughly the same when I found the lowest prices.

I should also note that I'm not scrounging for every tiny bit of audio quality. I read somewhere that the S9 has slightly less sound quality from the J3 due to a different amp, but that wont make a difference to me considering I'm using an un-amped iPod and cheap headphones.

Oh and one more thing, do Cowon players support drag-and-drop through Windows Explorer so I can avoid clumsy software?

EDIT: oh yeah, Micro SD card slot means nothing to me. Im mostly worrying about firmware.

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
Hi!

So I'm fed up with iPod right now. It's not a matter of sound quality or lack of FLAC support; that's the least of my worries here. My problem is the software and firmware. I'm sorry but iTunes is a b***h to work with. For some reason it randomly rejects my music files at times. And for some reason after I sync my iPod, I unplug it and take it out with me and it says I have no songs. It deleted everything from my iPod!

I'm looking for a new, easy to use player and Cowon are really given props here. The J3 looks really nice and I hear the quality is excellent. I was looking at the C2 but my budget can support something..better(?). It just seems that the J3 is an upgrade to it. I like that it has a super HD screen and all of that. But how is the firmware? Is it quick and responsive? Do you have advanced EQ options? I also saw the the S9 fits my budget (under $200) as well. Although I can't see much difference besides the more attractive feature on Cowon's website, what are the benefits of each? The S9 seems a bit newer, does that necessarily mean its better?

So Cowon S9 or J3? The prices on Amazon seem roughly the same when I found the lowest prices.

I should also note that I'm not scrounging for every tiny bit of audio quality. I read somewhere that the S9 has slightly less sound quality from the J3 due to a different amp, but that wont make a difference to me considering I'm using an un-amped iPod and cheap headphones.

Oh and one more thing, do Cowon players support drag-and-drop through Windows Explorer so I can avoid clumsy software?

EDIT: oh yeah, Micro SD card slot means nothing to me. Im mostly worrying about firmware.

I have both the S9 and the J3 and I would say that if you are looking to buy, go for the J3.  First off, you may not think you need the micro SD now, but when your library gets larger than the on-board memory can hold (like with videos), it comes in handy.  The J3's sound quality is better than the S9, but we are talking subtle differences as opposed to major changes in sound quality.  Both players are quick and responsive but the J3 has a much better interface (I modded my S9 with the J3 interface).  Files can definitely be dragged and dropped.  I rip my CDs as flac to my desktop's music directory, then copy and paste the ones I want on my J3 (or even S9)...and both support gapless playback.

Overall, I'd say the J3 is a better player; it's expandable, has a better interface than the stock S9, and sounds better.  FYI: The last S9 firmware update was 2 August, 2010.  The last J3 update was 29 March, 2011.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Coming from an ipod, you won't find the s9 or j3 "quick and responsive", but it does the job

Correct...not nearly as smooth and responsive as an iPod touch based player at all, but sounds significantly better, especially if you like to mess with the EQ.  There is an outstanding set of presets (BBE) and you can tweak them as you wish.  

I also second the recommendation of the J3 over the S9 if prices are similar (I've used both).  The form factor is better on the J3...the buttons on the side are a lot easier to use than the buttons on the top of the S9 and then there is the "option" of adding a MicroSD at a later date if you want to.  No sense in not having the option if even you don't see yourself using it now.  Oh, and the battery life is a bit better on the J3 as well.

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 13
Wow thanks! I don't have an iPod Touch but I've used one before, thats why I was wondering about responsiveness. So coming from a Nano to a J3 would be good.

Now I just have to find a White version in 16gb...I can't seem to find one anywhere..!

Edit: Is this a good place to buy it from? The picture seems a bit strange. http://www.exportprive.com/pack-cowon-sleek-white-16gb-cowon-jelly-case-cowon-screen-protection-p-12774.html

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #7 of 13
If you must have white and If you're in the US...just buy an 8gb white and a 16gb micro SD card from Amazon.  Same price, more storage.  Once you load up the SD card, the device combines the storage so you just think you've got one big 24gb player.  No difference to the interface on the player.  That's a much safer option than buying from random sellers online that may or may not be shady.

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
just buy an 8gb white and a 16gb micro SD card from Amazon.  Same price, more storage.  Once you load up the SD card, the device combines the storage so you just think you've got one big 24gb player.

So meaning you can fit up to two microSD's on the J3?
For example, can I get
2 x 32gb microSD cards and have 64GB total

Thanks a lot, just bought the 8GB one to see how it compares to the iPhone 4 sound. 

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 13
interface on J3 is sluggish as heck compared to an ipod touch/iphone or even a higher end android phone (like my nexus 1). My N1 is running cyanogenmod with all sorts of bloatware right now but it still reacts faster than the J3 did in the various youtube videos i watched.

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
interface on J3 is sluggish as heck compared to an ipod touch/iphone or even a higher end android phone (like my nexus 1). My N1 is running cyanogenmod with all sorts of bloatware right now but it still reacts faster than the J3 did in the various youtube videos i watched.

You must be referring to the D3, which is the newer Android based Cowon.  The J3 from last year is not sluggish at all...running Cowon's own software or any of the modifications/skins that people like to use.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
You must be referring to the D3, which is the newer Android based Cowon.  The J3 from last year is not sluggish at all...running Cowon's own software or any of the modifications/skins that people like to use.

I agree. The interface is as slick as can be. My iPod Touch actually lags more, which is understandable because it can do more, but still.

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 13
Just to answer back to my question for those who want to know, you can only add 1 (one) SD card.

So for example if you have the 8GB and you buy the 32GB card you get 8 + 32 = 40 GB maximum.
If you have the 16GB then 16 + 32 = 48GB maximum

So if you don't mind the black version, that gives you the maximum space possible, with 32GB + 32GB = 64GB.

Hope that clarifies everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back