Things to consider before getting your custom IEM impressions done. The perfect fit.
Feb 22, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #136 of 202
  from my experience, i used the biting block as suggested by the audiologist...
it seems you have a fit issue...does your ciem sits freely in your ear or you can feel the pressure in it? 

I would suggest give it 2 weeks first, maybe you are still adjusting to it...
but definitely its a fit issue...some people incur alot of ear movements when the mouth is open or closed...some people don't...it depends thats what my audiologist said.

My right ear has a little bit of pressure but not uncomfortable in any way. It just feels more "plugged" than the left ear. The left ear seems to have a good seal but not as much of a plugged feeling compared to the right ear. If I open my mouth slightly then the sound seems to "open up" in my right ear. Seems I get more details in the highs, especially reverbs and reflections.

Since these are so minute adjustments I'm worried if I get the fit corrected it'll just never be perfect because it's hard to pinpoint exactly what needs to be changed. Sometimes I can get the improved sound if I press firmly on the right-side IEM and wiggle it around a bit until it suctions/seals into the proper place almost.

You asked about feeling pressure, what should it be (sit freely or feel pressure)?

I could also get new impressions made. What do you guys think? I'm not sure what the success rate is on fit correction and I don't want to be making all these minute corrections when it's something that you'd just nitpick with. Again, these are my first custom IEMs so I have no experience otherwise. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #137 of 202

My right ear has a little bit of pressure but not uncomfortable in any way. It just feels more "plugged" than the left ear. The left ear seems to have a good seal but not as much of a plugged feeling compared to the right ear. If I open my mouth slightly then the sound seems to "open up" in my right ear. Seems I get more details in the highs, especially reverbs and reflections.

Since these are so minute adjustments I'm worried if I get the fit corrected it'll just never be perfect because it's hard to pinpoint exactly what needs to be changed. Sometimes I can get the improved sound if I press firmly on the right-side IEM and wiggle it around a bit until it suctions/seals into the proper place almost.

You asked about feeling pressure, what should it be (sit freely or feel pressure)?

I could also get new impressions made. What do you guys think? I'm not sure what the success rate is on fit correction and I don't want to be making all these minute corrections when it's something that you'd just nitpick with. Again, these are my first custom IEMs so I have no experience otherwise. 

ciem must sit freely on your ears...no pressure at all...but not too loose that it will come out or bass is gone...

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #139 of 202
Those impressions aren't the worst I've ever seen, but I have some concerns about the area I've circled here (1):

This area is absolutely critical for the CIEM to form a reliable seal, in the ear, as I've illustrated with the (also inadequate) ear impression pictures I Photoshopped, in the following image. I appreciate that it may look trivial, but I promise you, the tiniest inadequacy in your ear impressions, in these critical areas, really can make the difference between listening pleasure (and correct bass response) and frustration with poor seal and poor sound quality:

Look how perfectly these areas have been moulded in the following impressions. This is the kind of impression quality you should try to aim for:

Ideally, the audiologist should also have used more silicone on the areas I've drawn lines on (2, in your picture).

Look how much more of the ear has been successfully moulded - both in the innermost part of the ear (past the 2nd bend), and in the outermost part of the ear, in the yellow, pink, and blue impression pictures I've posted. The outermost portions have, admittedly, been moulded even more than necessary, in the yellow, pink, and blue impressions, but this is so that the CIEM-maker definitely has as much information as they could possibly need, rather than having barely enough, or slightly less than they need. Yours are, IMO, a bit less than they need, for the outermost parts of your ears, and a bit less than they need for the innermost portions of your ears.

It's a pity, because the rest of the impressions look OK.

However, if they were my impressions, I would not be willing to risk using them, because it's a major hassle and expense for the customer and for the CIEM-maker, if re-fits turn out to be necessary.

Consequently, if they were my impressions, I would make the effort to go and have another set of impressions done.

It appears, to me, that the audiologist you went to is probably not familiar with doing impressions for CIEMs, and generally tends to do impressions only for hearing aids. It was a good effort, but not really good enough for a reliable CIEM fitting. Hearing aids generally tend not to extend as deeply into the ear canal as CIEMs, and tend not to protrude as far to the outside of the ear as CIEMs. I suggest you take along some print-outs of the yellow, pink, and blue impressions I've posted, as an easy example to the audiologist, of your specific requirements. If you read the following post, you will also find links to some instructions to guide your audiologist. This isn't about offending your audiologist by teaching him/her to suck eggs. It's just that you need to be very explicit about how your needs for CIEM impressions are not the same as people's needs for hearing-aid impressions.

www.head-fi.org/t/578855/things-to-consider-before-getting-your-custom-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit#post_7871678

I suggest you get a second opinion, by emailing your impressions pictures to the company you are buying your CIEMs from. They will tell you if they are happy with them, or not.

Good luck with your CIEM buying experience
beerchug.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #141 of 202
Those are a vast improvement. They mostly look very decent.

However, it is a little difficult to tell, from the photograph resolution, if the area around the 2nd bend of the right ear has been successfully moulded.

Can you take some close-up photos of the area (on both impressions) that I've circled?

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #142 of 202
The 2nd bend for the right ear is not complete. It just ends at the second bend. I think that's what the audiologist told me. I showed her the UM Mage CIEM that I am going to reshell and she said you will be fine. I will post the  close-up images in sometime. In class now. :D

And yes there are few cracks similar to the last impressions around second bend.

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #143 of 202
OK. I'll wait to see your close-up pics.

Although Unique Melody don't tend to make their CIEM shells go past the 2nd bend (I myself used to own a pair of UM Miracles, BTW), it is still vital that the area immediately before the bend is fully-moulded. It's not just about the length of the impression - it's also about the accuracy of the impression, throughout the entirety of whatever length it may be.

If just a few tiny areas are even half a millimetre shy of fully-moulded, at that critical point, then the seal can fail when the CIEM is inserted.

When impression-silicone does not fully-reach past the second bend, it has a tendency to also not fully press against the ear canal in the region just before the second bend, so it can result in a slight taper, which absolutely ruins the seal of a CIEM - this is why even CIEM-makers who do not create CIEM shells that go past the second bend still ask customers to provide impressions that do go past the 2nd bend. In other words, the sponge safety dam and the silicone need to go a bit further, past the 2nd bend, so that there is some back-pressure to encourage the viscous silicone to fully press against the ear canal in the region less-deep than the 2nd-bend, whilst it is curing.

Again, because many audiologists are unfamiliar with CIEMs, they may not fully appreciate how absolutely critical this apparently-trivial part of the impression is, in order to ensure correct bass-response and seal. Your audiologist has done well with the second set of impressions. They're a nice job - but the devil is in the detail...

I'm not (yet) saying your new impressions fail in this area - I just need greater photo resolution in order to see, one way or the other.

Please understand that none of this is me being pedantic or OCD - I'm trying to save you a lot of hassle and expense with your CIEM fitting, and I know, from first-hand experience, how tiny shortcomings in impressions can painfully cost, in terms of time, frustration, and money
beerchug.gif

Also please note that some CIEM-makers actually do build the final CIEM shells to extend right up to, or slightly past, the second bend, so it is doubly-important to get impressions with accurate moulding even at the region just past the 2nd bend, in such instances.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #145 of 202
  Here are the pic's.
Let me know if you need more or another angle or more clarity.

for me, it seems ok, no bubbles and reached the second bend...should be fine maybe...

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #146 of 202
I've just enlarged your pic, and I can now see that yeah - it should be acceptable for a UM shell, because UM generally (except for a chamfered 2-3mm) wouldn't go past where I've drawn a line, and the moulding is just OK there, on your impression. It really is borderline but probably OK. Am I correct in assuming that you're going to have UM do the re-shelling?

If the shell was being done by a company like Noble, then their shells tend to extend a bit deeper, though. (SpiralEar do deep silicone shells, too, and, for them, your impressions would not be adequate - I'm only mentioning that, in case it is relevant to someone else reading this thread, who may be buying a new CIEM).

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #149 of 202
is it ok if the audiologist takes the impressions out of my ear , 1-2 minutes after he has put the mold and pressed it inside my ear ?

should he have waited longer or it doesn't really matter ?

also ,do i need to send them over with the cotton on the edge of them , like i have seen in some pics ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back