ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Sep 20, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #3,888 of 4,773
@leo5111, I agree with @BKJarvis, none of those sets are what I'd call Basshead level. I currently have the Hook-X and had the Excalibur and while they are elevated in the lower frequencies, they are not Basshead level of IEMs. If you still want a pick from those then I'd say either go with Variations & Excalibur as they have almost similar level of Bass elevation with some minor differences in Bass presentation between them.

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #3,889 of 4,773
for basshead people Thieaudio Excalibur or Dunu Vulkan or Moondrop Variations?
https://crinacle.com/2021/07/27/the-best-500-tribrids-oracle-excalibur-variations-est112-ej07m/

He reviews the Variations and Excalibur in that link, he appears to think the former comes out on top for bass (but it’s very sub bass focused, Variations bass shelf levels off exactly at 200hz, technicality it starts to dip there. Excalibur zeros out at ~400hz [but it’s a very shallow slope down to that]).

So, if you just care about sub bass the Variations has a couple dB more than Excalibur, but no boast to midbass. In fact it has a slight cut just after 200hz. If you also care about midbass Excalibur would unquestionably be the way to go (but that is disregarding everything other than bass).

I’ve not seen reviews or graphs for the Vulkon so I’ll leave it at that. If it needs to be said this is all based on graphs and reviews, I’ve not heard either of these IEMs.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #3,891 of 4,773
One thing Theiaudio could consider is releasing these iems with a recessed 2 pin. Some cables get a little loose after some wear and i fear they may come out whilst in my ear or during transfer from ears to case. Some cables are tight as a drum when connected tho. It's hit or miss.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #3,892 of 4,773
Sep 23, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #3,895 of 4,773
both on same EQ setting the Dunu Vulkan has harder hitting BASS then the Excalibur, i thought it might be because the Excaliburs are Power Pigs i tried on my Cowon Plenue S and R2, then tried with Hiby R6 Pro same result Vulkans hit harder/more fuller

Sep 23, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #3,897 of 4,773
Monarch MKII nozzle (max. diameter) is 6,3mm and Variations 6,5mm.
Wow! Really, nozzles shouldn't be wider than 5,5mm since the bigger size will be a problem for most people. I have extreme pain in my ear canals if I have to stick nozzles deep inside them. I prefer a short nozzle and a body with a size and shape that makes it sit securely in the ear. Unfortunately, not too many of the IEMs I've bought through the years fit that description.

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #3,900 of 4,773
I own the Oracle, it's great because it's very complete, always very fair in tone, balanced and open. nevertheless it is not a basshead, and it is difficult to mount the extreme bass because it always remains stable.

It's not unpleasant, on the contrary, the HP is kept under control, moreover its firmness comes from there. I assume closed chamber tuning quite high, unlike bass reflex tunings. We can make a fairly low chord in a closed room, but it gives softness, it goes down lower but it's less tense. "Firm" chords are impossible to adjust in basshead. The loudspeaker behaves as with an amp that has strong damping.

This corresponds to the philosophy of this balanced, powerful but firm IEM. We can assume that the MK 2 will make the bass less tight, go lower. The exercise seems difficult to me, nevertheless we will see.... ?

Nb :
sorry for my english, i have to translate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back