ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Jul 22, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #3,842 of 4,754
I own both... The Monarch MKII definitely has more sub-bass and mid-bass compared to the Oracle, in fact the Monarch MKII actually has more mid-bass than my preference.
Some people have said the mid-bass on the MKII is a bit light but definitely not on the set I have.

I actually think because of the lower mid-bass on the Oracle that vocals are more forward, prominent and clear which I love. The vocals on the Monarch are great too but I think at times the higher mid-bass does overshadow them a bit with a thicker sound.

I definitely prefer the tuning of the Oracle much more but the Monarch MKII fits my ears better so I am thinking of selling my beloved Oracles...
Whattt are we listening to same monarch 2? Yours sounds like my old Clair, but my monarch 2 has that thin midbass and absolute stunning clarity of vocals /mids

Jul 24, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #3,843 of 4,754
I own both... The Monarch MKII definitely has more sub-bass and mid-bass compared to the Oracle, in fact the Monarch MKII actually has more mid-bass than my preference.
Some people have said the mid-bass on the MKII is a bit light but definitely not on the set I have.

I actually think because of the lower mid-bass on the Oracle that vocals are more forward, prominent and clear which I love. The vocals on the Monarch are great too but I think at times the higher mid-bass does overshadow them a bit with a thicker sound.

I definitely prefer the tuning of the Oracle much more but the Monarch MKII fits my ears better so I am thinking of selling my beloved Oracles...
I asked for comparison because Oracle bass is at times rather too potent for my taste especially with tips that constrict the nozzle opening. The rub is, those tip types increase stage, separation, clarity. Great iem for sure

Jul 24, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #3,844 of 4,754
I asked for comparison because Oracle bass is at times rather too potent for my taste especially with tips that constrict the nozzle opening. The rub is, those tip types increase stage, separation, clarity. Great iem for sure
Everything depends on tips and ear anatomy with the Mk2s. I had a difficult time finding the right tips to give a good seal but after I did they have plenty of slam and punch and pretty decent bass texture. I’d advise Comply Isolation Plus TX-500 Memory Foam or (if you don’t get on with foams Azla SednaEarfit Xelastics.

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #3,845 of 4,754
Everything depends on tips and ear anatomy with the Mk2s. I had a difficult time finding the right tips to give a good seal but after I did they have plenty of slam and punch and pretty decent bass texture. I’d advise Comply Isolation Plus TX-500 Memory Foam or (if you don’t get on with foams Azla SednaEarfit Xelastics.
I’m getting excellent fit from pretty much any tip I use. I tend to avoid foams but maybe give ‘em a try. Trying to find a narrow sweet spot without increasing bass

Jul 25, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #3,846 of 4,754
Whattt are we listening to same monarch 2? Yours sounds like my old Clair, but my monarch 2 has that thin midbass and absolute stunning clarity of vocals /mids
Maybe there is a bit of unit variation because what I am describing is what I hear with my set...

Jul 25, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #3,847 of 4,754
I’m getting excellent fit from pretty much any tip I use. I tend to avoid foams but maybe give ‘em a try. Trying to find a narrow sweet spot without increasing bass
The best tips for me on the MKII are the Azla SendaEarfit short (the black ones with the blue inners) but I am currently using the Azla vivid extra light which have a 3mm inner which does actually fit with a bit of effort and never come off and these may well be my new favourite...

Jul 25, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #3,848 of 4,754
The best tips for me on the MKII are the Azla SendaEarfit short (the black ones with the blue inners) but I am currently using the Azla vivid extra light which have a 3mm inner which does actually fit with a bit of effort and never come off and these may well be my new favourite...
I tried them on Oracle. Signature sounded too diffuse for my taste. Great tips though.
I attached the new Spin Fit W1 tips last night and was pretty satisfied. It all came together sonically. W1 is like Azla crystals, I believe, but narrower bore and less prone to losing shape. Cheers

Edit: not Crystals—Xelastics. I’ve read crystals are much better holding shape over time than Xelas

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #3,849 of 4,754
I tried them on Oracle. Signature sounded too diffuse for my taste. Great tips though.
I attached the new Spin Fit W1 tips last night and was pretty satisfied. It all came together sonically. W1 is like Azla crystals, I believe, but narrower bore and less prone to losing shape. Cheers

Edit: not Crystals—Xelastics. I’ve read crystals are much better holding shape over time than Xelas
Definitely true that Xelastics lose their shape after a while. For me, that is when they start to work best, as they conform to my inner concha and provide a better seal over the ear canal. While a tighter fitting tip that is snug inside the canal (foams or certain silicones - though I can achieve this with very few silicones ) may be preferable, I find the ‘relaxed Xelastic’ provides a good balance between bass impact (on tbe one hand) and treble extension/technicalities on the other. Once again- it’s very personal. In all things tips, it seems we are all just sharing what has worked for us in case others may benefit. “YMMV”.

Aug 3, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #3,850 of 4,754
Anyone else here thinks that Monarch MK2 has this 'dry' timbre? I can't describe it well but the decay feels weird

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #3,851 of 4,754
The Oracle is just about perfect for me. It beats alot of iems that are more expensive imo because it's so good tonally and in the timbre aspect. Instruments just sound incredibly realistic w a hint of laser precision crispness from the EST driver. Bass is no slouch either by the way when called upon. It is also very comfortable to wear. It has a perfectly portioned shell that does a whole lot better than the gen 1 Clair and Monarch and even the Monarch Mk 2, which are all kind of dumb big. I may try the brother of the Oracle just for shiggles, the Excalibur. Oracle is an underrated gem

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #3,852 of 4,754
The Oracle is just about perfect for me. It beats alot of iems that are more expensive imo because it's so good tonally and in the timbre aspect. Instruments just sound incredibly realistic w a hint of laser precision crispness from the EST driver. Bass is no slouch either by the way when called upon. It is also very comfortable to wear. It has a perfectly portioned shell that does a whole lot better than the gen 1 Clair and Monarch and even the Monarch Mk 2, which are all kind of dumb big. I may try the brother of the Oracle just for shiggles, the Excalibur. Oracle is an underrated gem
Reassuring remarks re Oracle.
I am astonished by its sound quality especially for the price. I like it so much the temptation has been there to buy Monarch 2. Can’t help but wonder how good can it get. I’m gonna resist though. It’s partly flawed thinking on my part. Rather than being content, moving up the model-price ladder for a vaguely specified more or better. I have seldom found satisfaction in that pursuit.

What cable do you use with Oracle?
I’ve settled for the time being on PW No. 10.

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #3,853 of 4,754
Reassuring remarks re Oracle.
I am astonished by its sound quality especially for the price. I like it so much the temptation has been there to buy Monarch 2. Can’t help but wonder how good can it get. I’m gonna resist though. It’s partly flawed thinking on my part. Rather than being content, moving up the model-price ladder for a vaguely specified more or better. I have seldom found satisfaction in that pursuit.

What cable do you use with Oracle?
I’ve settled for the time being on PW No. 10.

I heard the Monarch Mk2 briefly at canjam nyc and wasn't wowed by it. Not close. Fit didn't mesh well w me either. Oracle is where it's at for me. Using a Black Dragon cable for iems from Moon Audio. Really great combo.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #3,854 of 4,754
Anyone else here thinks that Monarch MK2 has this 'dry' timbre? I can't describe it well but the decay feels weird
I would not call it dry but simply ‘unexciting’ The sub-bass and bass: OK, punches good, good texture- not exciting. Mids: not too forward, not too recessed, clarity is ok, not exciting,. Treble- ok extension and treble detail retrieval, some sparkle, but nothing about which to get excited. Stage, imaging, detail retrieval; above average, but nothing to get excited about. For $1000 (especially) it’s nothing to get excited about. If it was $100 —different story. Then we could talk about the cable/switchable 2.5/3.5/4.4 mm ends (all good). But the fact is: for $1000, there should be something really exciting and there just isn’t- for me at least. @Precogvision says it has better detail retrieval in mids than almost any IEM- I want to listen again…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back