ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Jan 11, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #3,661 of 4,753
Hey guys, coming from Fir Audio M5 CIEM, looking to expand my "arsenal". Anyone have experience with the M5's and the Monarch MK 2? If so, what would it bring to the table?

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #3,662 of 4,753
I'm curious if the Monarch Mk.II with a retune in the bass makes the Clairvoyance essentially obsolete? I can't find any comparisons between the new Monarch and the Clairvoyance...

I'm looking to pick up a new IEM after coming back to audio and taking a look at the market. I'm looking to pick up an IEM around the kilobuck range, but I'm having a HELL of a time finding a product that doesn't have some major misgiving at this price-point that isn't also super analytical.

The Monarch Mk.II looks really interesting, but it seems very clinical, and Im looking for something at least somewhat warm and fun sounding.

I'm also looking at the Kinera Nanna, and a used MEST Mk.II.

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #3,663 of 4,753
I'm curious if the Monarch Mk.II with a retune in the bass makes the Clairvoyance essentially obsolete? I can't find any comparisons between the new Monarch and the Clairvoyance...

I'm looking to pick up a new IEM after coming back to audio and taking a look at the market. I'm looking to pick up an IEM around the kilobuck range, but I'm having a HELL of a time finding a product that doesn't have some major misgiving at this price-point that isn't also super analytical.

The Monarch Mk.II looks really interesting, but it seems very clinical, and Im looking for something at least somewhat warm and fun sounding.

I'm also looking at the Kinera Nanna, and a used MEST Mk.II.
I had the new monarch and the clairvoyance. I sold the clairvoyance. New monarch is better in all manner of ways. However- it has less quantity of mid bass. If you want to make the new monarch sound like the clairvoyance, you can absolutely do that and you get much more detailed sound with the new monarch. All you have to do is eq the mid bass (125-250hz) up by 4-6db. Enjoy your better clairvoyance.

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #3,664 of 4,753
I had the new monarch and the clairvoyance. I sold the clairvoyance. New monarch is better in all manner of ways. However- it has less quantity of mid bass. If you want to make the new monarch sound like the clairvoyance, you can absolutely do that and you get much more detailed sound with the new monarch. All you have to do is eq the mid bass (125-250hz) up by 4-6db. Enjoy your better clairvoyance.
This is more or less exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the tip.

I have the Fearless S8F which can definitely be fatiguing, but I also have the Focal Clears so I'm pretty immune to it by now, but how do you feel about the treble?

Soundstage?

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #3,665 of 4,753

I have the Fearless S8F which can definitely be fatiguing, but I also have the Focal Clears so I'm pretty immune to it by now, but how do you feel about the treble?

Soundstage?
Can’t go wrong with the MKII. I have mine eq’ed for slightly more mid bass and it’s frikkin amazing. Treble is smooth and detailed at the same time. Soundstage varies on what tips you’re using. I found that the Azla SednaEarfit (long stem) has the best soundstage out of everything that I’ve tried. And I’ve tried a lot of different tips….

Also I just learned today that my E1DA PowerDACv2 blows away my Qudelix 5K in terms of …. Everything really. The synergy with the PowerDAC and the MKII is amazing. Stellar pairing for sure.

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #3,666 of 4,753
Agree- however the Nanna question intrigues me. I strongly considered the Nanna after reading DMS and Zeos reviews (unfortunately there were none by the Headphone Show crowd) and it seemed to do a lot of what Monarch Mk2 does but then the latter came along and I took the bait - but no regrets at all, it is fantastic. I do EQ when using Roon at home, agree with you that a small bass shelf helps; however, I also subtract 1 db with a narrow Q at 2k and 5k and this takes a bit of the edge off the peaks at those points. But on my Hiby R8 I just turn on Turbo and High Gain and nothing else. I think I may try the Eq settings to pair with IFi XBass that @drummguy26 suggests for a lark. Thinking too of acquiring a C9 and wondering what that will add. But the Mk2s are definitely worth the kilobuck, IMHO!

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #3,667 of 4,753
Can’t go wrong with the MKII. I have mine eq’ed for slightly more mid bass and it’s frikkin amazing. Treble is smooth and detailed at the same time. Soundstage varies on what tips you’re using. I found that the Azla SednaEarfit (long stem) has the best soundstage out of everything that I’ve tried. And I’ve tried a lot of different tips….
Interesting. Can you define how you experience the soundstage? I ask because I've heard one of the criticisms of the MK.II is weak/2D staging versus what's described as a more "triangular" stage in something like the MEST Mk.II. However, this is always hard to determine before you hear it yourself because...well...it's an IEM.

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #3,668 of 4,753

Soundstage?
I have a pair of clears on the way- looking forward to hearing them soon. As for monarch mk2 treble- its total perfection to me. Absolutely flawless silky liquid est driver treble. It’s amazing. And the details are just outrageous. Soundstage I am not very good at measuring for some reason, but to me it sounds moderate size. Not huge but plenty big enough. It has tricked me to think I am hearing a sound from somewhere in the room more than once.

Jan 13, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #3,669 of 4,753
Interesting. Can you define how you experience the soundstage? I ask because I've heard one of the criticisms of the MK.II is weak/2D staging versus what's described as a more "triangular" stage in something like the MEST Mk.II. However, this is always hard to determine before you hear it yourself because...well...it's an IEM.
Soundstage on the MKII can sound very different, again, depending on the tips you’re using. If you’re using a narrow bore tip, bass will be enhanced sure, but soundstage is very muffled and narrow. The MKII needs wide bore tips to get the full experience. The soundstage with the Sedna’s are super wide from left to right. Also imaging and instrument positioning is spot on. Up down left right…. behind your ear. You can pinpoint exactly where any instrument is. But again, you need a wide bore to really maximize this.

Jan 13, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #3,670 of 4,753
Soundstage on the MKII can sound very different, again, depending on the tips you’re using. If you’re using a narrow bore tip, bass will be enhanced sure, but soundstage is very muffled and narrow. The MKII needs wide bore tips to get the full experience. The soundstage with the Sedna’s are super wide from left to right. Also imaging and instrument positioning is spot on. Up down left right…. behind your ear. You can pinpoint exactly where any instrument is. But again, you need a wide bore to really maximize this.
Spinfit CP145s larges make the perfect balance for me- good bass slam/extension and similar stage as above. To each their own re tips- a very individual experience, as are our ears and hearing.

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #3,671 of 4,753
With Mk2, I guess it will be hard to sell my OG. I will wait for one more year and buy the Mk2 when it is on sales. Chifi is really hurting me. While it is a blessing to consumers when there is tons of new IEMs coming out from so many companies each year, I feel like I will end up spending too much compared to the good old days where is only one endgame IEM from Sony for many, many years to come.

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #3,672 of 4,753
With Mk2, I guess it will be hard to sell my OG. I will wait for one more year and buy the Mk2 when it is on sales. Chifi is really hurting me. While it is a blessing to consumers when there is tons of new IEMs coming out from so many companies each year, I feel like I will end up spending too much compared to the good old days where is only one endgame IEM from Sony for many, many years to come.
Tell me about it, it feels like yesterday I only spend $300 on an IEM and thats all I needed but now my collections reaches few grands... and it feels like its not going to stop anytime soon.... :frowning2: especially when totl iem price ceiling have been jumping upward.

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #3,673 of 4,753
Spinfit CP145s larges make the perfect balance for me- good bass slam/extension and similar stage as above. To each their own re tips- a very individual experience, as are our ears and hearing.

Indeed -
This problem is easily solved with patience/self-control. Helps to wait and see what rises to the top in each price category instead of buying immediately upon release.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #3,674 of 4,753
https://www.linsoul.com/collections/thieaudio

Link for multiple comparison graphs, courtesy of Crinacle.
Post in thread 'ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrids: Clairvoyance & Monarch; Excalibur & Oracle'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thi...monarch-excalibur-oracle.936212/post-16383178

Including the Thieaudio Clairvoyance
$699.00 USD

Electrostatic Tribrid In-Ear Monitor with 1 Dynamic Driver + 5 Balanced Armature Drivers + 2 Electrostatic Drivers
  • Authentic American Knowles and Danish Sonion Drivers
  • 4-Way Passive Crossover Circuitry
  • 4 Sound Bores
  • Natural Tonality and Powerful Subbass.
Graph, per BGGAR:
1C5572A5-9B1F-4D79-AE2A-2E61A8EDA87F.png
0DEF9F83-5BAF-4C46-B89E-9898DE82C09D.jpeg
7351EE1C-7CCA-4394-AA26-26E7E0DD3119.jpeg
Graph, per Crinacle:
10C0650F-8595-4268-8ED9-83749CBA4E69.jpeg

and the Thieaudio Monarch
$729.00 USD

Electrostatic Tribrid In-Ear Monitor with 1 Dynamic Driver + 6 Balanced Armature Drivers + 2 Electrostatic Drivers
  • Authentic American Knowles and Danish Sonion Drivers
  • 4-Way Passive Crossover Circuitry
  • 4 Sound Bores
  • Natural Tonality and Powerful Subbass.
Graph, per BGGAR:
5C9E1C32-B207-4800-BA3F-492D5AADEEEB.png
1DC85DFA-37D0-4F02-8EA8-17C94A306E9B.jpeg
53604B29-3206-4144-9C8F-E8D34EB74913.jpeg
Graph, per Crinacle:
C99CF103-C43D-4F9A-9F52-9D2038D1E757.jpeg
Did you have the chance to listen to the ne MKII?

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #3,675 of 4,753
the good old days where is only one endgame IEM from Sony for many, many years to come.
i mean........the IER-Z1R exists now, so.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back