ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
May 31, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #2,551 of 4,752
Because I only want to spend money on one of these, and it had to be the best one! Whew, so glad I made the right choice.
The best one does not exist.
There is the one that you like the most, the one that someone else likes the most ...

May 31, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #2,552 of 4,752
The best one does not exist.
There is the one that you like the most, the one that someone else likes the most ...
That's what I mean - I was able to pick the best sounding one to my ears, without having to try/buy them all..! ^ ^ It's just coincidence, though; don't ask me how I did it.

May 31, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #2,553 of 4,752
Initial impressions using CP100 & Mojo @ 24-bit 192KHz ...

Very clear, crisp treble that's well-controlled. Right now they get rather fatiguing with electric guitar(Buckethead), even with Spiral Dots or fomes. These seem to provide very clear treble, but not very high resolution treble. I'm pretty sure I get more resolution/refinement with FD5 and DM8, if not A7 as well. I'm finding cymbals a little splashy with Buckethead.

Imaging, speed, sense of space, and depth are excellent. Better than Tea, at least. These do a nice job(=sound best?) on recordings with space and reverb effects, like Weird Al - Money For Nothing, Floex, Stevia Sphere, C418. Piano and solos sound very nice.

Sub-bass is nicely beefy, but I'm not feeling much bass presence most of the time. Regular bass guitar, for example, lacks the beef. FH3 does not so much. Mids and the rest have good weight, though. Quality of bass seems very good. I can't it impresses me more than FD5 or FH3 bass, though. I want to say mid/upper bass is just barely there.

Vocals are quite clear and detailed. Very high quality, but more digital/filtered than smoothly/organically natural sounding(same for the treble).

I'd say these sound like a direct upgrade of the Tea, with brighter, less natural treble. I find it a pretty "standard" sort of sound, with some extra treble edge/bite. I don't think these have any stand-out wow factor, and they did not impress me like FH3, L3, YBF, FD5, AS10, or ZAX did, or headphones like HD660, HE-6, LCD-3. The cheap shell material certainly didn't impress me... Why didn't they use the material L3 or Lokahi uses? To save money, I know, I know. What IEM sounds like a L3 super upgrade? That's what I want.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #2,554 of 4,752

Very clear, crisp treble that's well-controlled. Right now they get rather fatiguing with electric guitar(Buckethead), even with Spiral Dots or fomes. These seem to provide very clear treble, but not very high resolution treble. I'm pretty sure I get more resolution/refinement with FD5 and DM8, if not A7 as well. I'm finding cymbals a little splashy with Buckethead.

Imaging, speed, sense of space, and depth are excellent. Better than Tea, at least. These do a nice job(=sound best?) on recordings with space and reverb effects, like Weird Al - Money For Nothing, Floex, Stevia Sphere, C418. Piano and solos sound very nice.

Sub-bass is nicely beefy, but I'm not feeling much bass presence most of the time. Regular bass guitar, for example, lacks the beef. FH3 does not so much. Mids and the rest have good weight, though. Quality of bass seems very good. I can't it impresses me more than FD5 or FH3 bass, though. I want to say mid/upper bass is just barely there.

Vocals are quite clear and detailed. Very high quality, but more digital/filtered than smoothly/organically natural sounding(same for the treble).

I'd say these sound like a direct upgrade of the Tea, with brighter, less natural treble. I find it a pretty "standard" sort of sound, with some extra treble edge/bite. I don't think these have any stand-out wow factor, and they did not impress me like FH3, L3, YBF, FD5, AS10, or ZAX did, or headphones like HD660, HE-6, LCD-3. The cheap shell material certainly didn't impress me... Why didn't they use the material L3 or Lokahi uses? To save money, I know, I know. What IEM sounds like a L3 super upgrade? That's what I want.

Thanks for your impressions and your video. Sounds quite disappointing. Not really surprising regarding to the bass. From the frequency response and description from the linsoul website there shouldn't be a lot of bass. This is ok, everyone has a different taste. I'm really curious to the first Excalibur reviews. I think the Oracle isn't interesting for my taste.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #2,555 of 4,752
Thanks for your impressions and your video. Sounds quite disappointing. Not really surprising regarding to the bass. From the frequency response and description from the linsoul website there shouldn't be a lot of bass. This is ok, everyone has a different taste. I'm really curious to the first Excalibur reviews. I think the Oracle isn't interesting for my taste.
I’m pretty sure the Excalibur has a lot of bass, including mid bass. The Clairvoyance has a lot of bass, not bass head levels, but with a little EQ, it can reach bass head levels, though not with massive amounts of mid bass. The Clair is definitely sub bass biased, and the Monarch is Extremely sub bass biased. I need to break out my L3 to compare the bass with the Clair. I’m not completely certain which has more quantity, though I think the Clair has the edge. The Clair Definitely has much better bass quality though.

May 31, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #2,556 of 4,752
I’m pretty sure the Excalibur has a lot of bass, including mid bass. The Clairvoyance has a lot of bass, not bass head levels, but with a little EQ, it can reach bass head levels, though not with massive amounts of mid bass. The Clair is definitely sub bass biased, and the Monarch is Extremely sub bass biased. I need to break out my L3 to compare the bass with the Clair. I’m not completely certain which has more quantity, though I think the Clair has the edge. The Clair Definitely has much better bass quality though.

Thats the same what i thought. The Clair could be the best for me, because I like a bit more bass and good bass quality. I think the Excalibur is not on the same level, but would be interesting how close the Excalibur comes to the Clair.

May 31, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #2,557 of 4,752
Poor Oracle :frowning2: I tried to like you, little buddy. I tried!! :broken_heart:

If Crin is right about Clair having only slightly more resolution, the other 3 are still not for me, for my perception/expectation of price vs performance. Tri Starlight 4 had vastly more resolution, and not so digital sounding, from memory. That really impressed me.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #2,558 of 4,752
Poor Oracle :frowning2: I tried to like you, little buddy. I tried!! :broken_heart:

If Crin is right about Clair having only slightly more resolution, the other 3 are still not for me, for my perception/expectation of price vs performance. Tri Starlight 4 had vastly more resolution, and not so digital sounding, from memory. That really impressed me.
I certainly hope you find what you are looking for!

May 31, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #2,559 of 4,752
I certainly hope you find what you are looking for!
At this point, I'm going back to venture deeper into the headphone realm, and also KZ AST ^ ^

Jun 1, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #2,560 of 4,752

From what you comment and the preferred headphones you mention, your sound preferences seem clear - it seems you like a warm, dark sound.

As I said in my last post in this thread, there is no better IEM or worse IEM in general. It will always depend on the preferences of each person.

For example, for me the Legacy 3 is the worst I have heard in my life, it had no treble, it was nonexistent. I repeat: for me. All the chifi IEMs that I currently have, as cheap as the KZ DQ6 or the CCA CSN (this last costs € 13) seem infinitely better than the Legacy 3.

Jun 1, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #2,561 of 4,752
For example, for me the Legacy 3 is the worst I have heard in my life, it had no treble, it was nonexistent.
Do you like Grados? o_o I like lighter sounds, too, like AD900X, HD660, but they have to be very good with positional accuracy and space. Arya might be like that, but probably with more bass.
As I said in my last post in this thread, there is no better IEM or worse IEM in general. It will always depend on the preferences of each person.
Hm. Well, I'm sure I picked the best one!! If you need help choosing better, I can offer an overseas palm reading service on Saturdays!

Jun 1, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #2,562 of 4,752
Hm. Well, I'm sure I picked the best one!! If you need help choosing better, I can offer an overseas palm reading service on Saturdays!

Since you said you liked the FH3 or the L3, I thought that warm and dark profile was your favorite. Of course, that profile is nothing like any of these ThieAudio tribrid.

I could use that hand reading service very well :smile: , because I have also bought many IEMs that I did not like at all (not only the Legacy 3) :deadhorse:.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #2,563 of 4,752
Since you said you liked the FH3 or the L3, I thought that warm and dark profile was your favorite. Of course, that profile is nothing like any of these ThieAudio tribrid.
I concur.

I just listened to the L3 (0,0 setting) and compared it to the Clair. FWIW, I do enjoy the L3 sound, but it is quite a bit darker than the Clair, and the Oracle seems to perhaps even have more treble overall than the Clair. While my L3 set has nicely extended upper treble air (not quite like the Clair, but not too far behind), the lower treble is subdued, and thus as a whole, it sounds darker.

The sub bass of the Clair and L3 are similar in quantity, but better defined, and more extended on the Clair. The mid bass is quite a bit more pronounced on the L3, as the Clair is definitely sub bass biased. Because it has more mid bass, and the upper mids/lower treble are relatively more subdued, the L3 sounds like it has more bass as a whole, and it also sounds warmer.

After listening to the L3 again, I have to say, none of the 4 Signature tribrids will fit that tuning mold. The Excalibur is the only one that likely has similar warm, potent bass, but the Excalibur seems to have a lot of treble, more than any of the other 3 tribrids (based on the graph, as I have not heard it), with prominent lower treble, and crazy upper treble extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back