ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Nov 9, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #3,258 of 4,753
47DFC7FB-3985-4CF7-882C-5F7151AA146E.jpeg

They look and sound perfect. Highly highly recommended

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #3,260 of 4,753
If you have the Cayin N3 Pro, firmware 2.3, try these settings. DSD Output >DOP,DSD Digital filter> Wide Band, Gapless> on, No EQ, Filter setting>short delay slow.

My OG Monarch sounds extremely transparent and balanced with excellent instrument separation like I've never heard before. Been listening to can't slow down Album by Lionel Richie and I'm in musical heaven. I've known these songs since I was a kid and I've never heard this much detail + sound stage expansion with these settings.

Love this pairing so much I gave the ZX500 to my wife :xf_cool:

Nov 10, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #3,261 of 4,753
My Monarch MKIIs arrived today. It is way too early to give a deep dive on these but just few quick reactions for those patiently waiting. Keep in mind these are out of box reactions prior to any brain or actual burn-in listening out of my Fiio M11 Plus LTD:

• These probably should have been their own IEM as opposed to a Monarch "MKII"
  • They are far more balanced in a very good way than either the Clair or Monarch
  • Treble is for more refined and detailed then either of the twins
  • You can hear what the the sound is reverberating off of in your music
  • Those looking for Monarch OG levels of bass will be disappointed
  • Incredible sub bass AND slight mid bass (note I did not say amount) quality- no thin-sounding mids here
  • The shells are shallower than the twins but much wider- very likely going to be a problem for those with smaller ears
  • Most cohesive tribrid tuning I have heard
  • Incredible timbre
  • Those looking for the best tuned and most balanced tribrid under $1k (that I have heard) should not hesitate to give these a try- as someone who prefers a more neutral and balanced but engaging and dynamic sound, I am impressed- easily worth the price premium over the Clair and Monarch OG and dare I say still a good value at $999.

Picture for size reference:

PXL_20211108_195037781.jpg

PXL_20211108_155216649.jpg
The monarch 2 looks huge compared to variations

Nov 10, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #3,262 of 4,753
My Monarch MKIIs arrived today. It is way too early to give a deep dive on these but just few quick reactions for those patiently waiting. Keep in mind these are out of box reactions prior to any brain or actual burn-in listening out of my Fiio M11 Plus LTD:

• These probably should have been their own IEM as opposed to a Monarch "MKII"
  • They are far more balanced in a very good way than either the Clair or Monarch
  • Treble is for more refined and detailed then either of the twins
  • You can hear what the the sound is reverberating off of in your music
  • Those looking for Monarch OG levels of bass will be disappointed
  • Incredible sub bass AND slight mid bass (note I did not say amount) quality- no thin-sounding mids here
  • The shells are shallower than the twins but much wider- very likely going to be a problem for those with smaller ears
  • Most cohesive tribrid tuning I have heard
  • Incredible timbre
  • Those looking for the best tuned and most balanced tribrid under $1k (that I have heard) should not hesitate to give these a try- as someone who prefers a more neutral and balanced but engaging and dynamic sound, I am impressed- easily worth the price premium over the Clair and Monarch OG and dare I say still a good value at $999.

Picture for size reference:

PXL_20211108_195037781.jpg

PXL_20211108_155216649.jpg
How is the soundstage. I heard quite a few saying that its a bit closed in, even if imaging was ok. This is a big one for me.

Nov 10, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #3,263 of 4,753
How is the soundstage. I heard quite a few saying that its a bit closed in, even if imaging was ok. This is a big one for me.
I’m not super good at determining soundstage, I have solaris and tinhifi p1 and clairvoyance as well as mk2, all I can say is mk2 sounds best. Solaris might be a touch larger soundstage, but mk2 so much more detailed and clarity. Only a small reduction in sound stage to my ear. P1 also planar so supposed to have that holographic 3D soundstage, but to me clairvoyance and mark 2 both just sound better than p1 or solaris. Mk2 exceeds clairvoyance on details in addition to everything else.

Nov 10, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #3,264 of 4,753
How are they compared to moondrop variations?
I haven't done a ton of A-Bing between them but they are in completely different leagues. The Variations is a very similar IEM to the OG Monarch. It is not a neutral IEM. Variations has incredible bass quantity and quality. The bass doesn't fall of a cliff like the Monarch OG and I actually think I preferred the Variations over the OG because of it. Variations has decent treble but not a strong sense of space and reverb effect (lacking extension). Monarch MKII is better on every front. Much more balanced just perfect bass quantity- so tight and incredible texture. You don't feel like there are any dips, nothing is recessed with the MKII. I think what is just stunning to me is how genre agnostic the MKII is. It warms up classic rock just enough to make it really enjoyable and not sound thin. But I listen to alot of modern electronic music (Aphex, Autechre, Jon Hopkins, Max Cooper Amon Tobin, Tipper etc.) and wow the MKIIs are just out of this world with modern music production. Insane sub bass rumble is there but they didn't just crank up the bass level to get it. MKII clearly has higher quality components and technical capabilities than the OG. Monarch is more of statement IEM, trying to be unique and different with its tuning. MKII is not that. It is an impressive execution of balanced tuning and incredible technical performance that enhances your listening experience with any genre.
That size comparison...That is one hefty boy 0.o

Sorry to go off topic for a sec but I have a question about the OG Monarch. It seems the chrome nozzle coverings (the part that the eartips go onto) on my pair have come loose from the plastic tube underneath and sometimes they slide off with my old eartips when I change them out. It hasn't affected the sound but I was wondering a) if this has happened to anyone else, and b) if trying to fix the issue with a tiny dab of super glue is a good or bad idea. It's annoying as is but a broken set of $730 IEMs would be more so.
The MKII is huge. The face is wider than the the OG Monarch but both the shell and nozzle are not as deep. Honestly the shape and fit is the biggest drawback of the MKII. It will not fit in small ears. The biggest miss for me is the nozzle angle. The Monarch OG nozzle angle was pretty spot on for me (Clair was totally different an unusable to me for some reason). I do not understand why Thieaudio uses a different shell and nozzle and for almost every IEM. Moondrop is really good at keeping fit consistent across their IEM lineup. The MKII is lacking angle on one axis and can be a bit finicky. I am having success with Spinfit tips that allow for some flex to accommodate for the angle that isn't quite right. This is not a deal breaker for me but a little disappointing. Once I hit play though it is easy to forget about.

I had a nozzle come off on the OG Monarch. The real issue is those lips they put on the nozzle. They make it pretty hard to remove some tips and all that pulling from frequent tip rolling can cause it to come lose. Super glue worked for me, but yeah, not impressed
I am baffled with anyone that would say the soundstage is closed in with the MKII. I have owned Starfield, FH7, Variations, S8, Clair, Monarch and now Monarch MKII and the MKII has far and away the widest stage of all the ones I have owned. What I will say is it does not artificially create a sense of soundstage depth and width. If the recording (think live) has reverberations bouncing off of things the MKII absolutely lets you hear the space. You certainly get that out-of-head experience which is no small feat with an IEM. Imaging is what the MKII really is amazing at. Incredible separation between sounds and where they are coming from.

Nov 10, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #3,265 of 4,753
I am baffled with anyone that would say the soundstage is closed in with the MKII
I had Monarch OG in Mind not MK2. But I honestly havent heard either of them, so cannot comment. But when i am saying good staging i am expecting something like closer to Mest or other staging benchmarks. So my expectations are abit different because that wide spacious staging and decent imaging what i am after. Tuning looks nice so its a step forward.
I have some other purchases aligned. Also considering to try helios symphonium. 1k mark is very competitive and there are few highly regarded released or to be release iems. So to consider Monarch 2 it has to pull its weight.
And i am not saying it will not. As it really is promising. I will just wait for some comparisons.

Nov 11, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #3,268 of 4,753
crap, I couldn't wait anymore

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211112-035838~01~01.png
    Screenshot_20211112-035838~01~01.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
Nov 11, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #3,269 of 4,753
crap, I couldn't wait anymore
I cant wait to hear your impression! Especially vs OG :D

Many left the impression of improvement and enjoyment over the predecessor but some seems to be missing that thick and massive subbass attack.

Nov 11, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #3,270 of 4,753
I cant wait to hear your impression! Especially vs OG :D

Many left the impression of improvement and enjoyment over the predecessor but some seems to be missing that thick and massive subbass attack.
Sure will do.
I hope that sub-bass is still there as it's one of the highlights of the OG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back