ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Nov 13, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #3,286 of 4,771
Thanks for the response - also I agree 100% regarding EQ on the Monarch, I have a similar EQ bump in mid-bass and it REALLY helps especially with rock. It was my only major issue with the Monarch and was a borderline dealbreaker so I was very happy it could be EQ'd away for the most part, and very easily at that.

I am already quite happy with resolution on the Monarch, in fact I would say in detail retrieval it actually compares favorably to the electrostat headphones I've had that were in its same price bracket. But the big thing would be coherence - that is certainly an area that could improve moving to the VX.

My biggest concern really is losing that subbass though. God I love it so much. Here is my go-to test track for subbass since in general I love this song and the subbass is such an important part of the mix here:

I couldn't believe my ears the first time I played this on the Monarch after doing my initial EQ setup. "Holy cow THAT sound is coming out of these little IEMs?!"

@hlee227 If I pick them all up to compare I'll definitely post impressions in this thread!

Hi!
So, i have both Monarch OG and MK2 and looove Massive Attack and mostly all trip hop artists (portishead, ect.).
I played the "Angel" song on my new "Fiio K9 pro", powered by an audioquest Y3 power cable, to compare both iem
IMG_20211108_193835.jpg

IMG_20211112_160126.jpg

Unlike in the picture, i used the 6.5mm jack with both Monarch.
So, basically the OG as a more V-shape sound so it works really well with this track. You can "feel" the subbass a bit more and the treble is more forward, so it feels more exciting listening to "Angel" with monarch OG.
However, Monarck MK2 is more full sounding. There is still enought subbass but there is also mid-bass. The treble stands out less than OG but there are more delicate i would say.
Conclusion both sounds great with this song. I couldn't peak a winner. OG sound more exciting but MK2 sound more delicate and full. I love both :)

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #3,287 of 4,771
Ok, yeah, I'm not going to sugar coat it. You will not get the same rumble out of that song with the Anole VX. At comfortable listening volumes the Anole gets maybe 80% of the way there WITH the bass boost switch flipped on. But after cranking the volume up with the Monarch it feels as if you have your head against the floor near a subwoofer and then the Anole gets MAYBE 70% of the rumble power (again, with the bass boost). Without the bass boost switch on there is no comparison.

So now I definitely see why the Monarch is king of sub-bass. Neat song! Thanks for introducing it to me! Would also be super cool for someone to use that song to compare the original vs the MKII.

Edit: on a side note, have you looked into the U12t? It's supposed to have the best sub-bass for an all-BA set. I may have one coming in soon and so would be cool to use this song to compare against.
Thank YOU for the very helpful impressions! I'm glad I could introduce you to the song too, the entire album ("Mezzanine" by Massive Attack) is awesome too, maybe even a top 10 album for me. @sm0rf @azertyproxy Thanks a lot for these impressions of Monarch OG vs. VX and vs. Monarch MkII respectively as well!

So this sort of tracks with what I was expecting, which is that the VX (maybe by extension the V14 too? Though I've heard that one actually has a bit more subbass than the VX) can't really be a strict upgrade to the Monarch in terms of being an IEM bass cannon. Which to me is arguably the single thing that is the most special about the Monarch - there are a lot of highly-resolving, neutral-tuned, excellent IEMs, but not many that are all of that with a random slab of massive subbass attached. I like the way it was described in this thread a few pages back - they feel like a "statement" piece with a unique audio vision, rather than an arms race to the highest detail with the most natural tuning.

But like you mentioned in your edit, the U12t is also on the table as a subbass-focused upgrade and I've been looking into that a bit as well. And then of course there's the Monarch MkII with similar subbass but apparently dialed back a bit and in exchange, a bit more resolution and technical performance across the board (along with fixing the midbass wankery on the Monarch out of the box, which to be fair can already be EQ'd away).

If I can swing it, the solution might be not "upgrading" the Monarch at all, but rather keeping it as a side-piece specifically for genres that sound great with bass cannons, and then having another companion daily driver that has better technical performance.

So I think the game plan here is:

1. Compare the Monarch to the Monarch MkII and if the subbass performance is still in an acceptable range on the MkII, replace the OG with it;
2. Compare the Monarch/MkII to the U12t and keep whichever sounds better to my ears, notably in terms of subbass extension and quality;
3. Compare the Monarch MkII to the VX and only keep the VX if it has a better technical performance to an extent that I feel is commensurate to the price premium.

This involves four IEMs and three of them are kilobuck+ so this will be quite expensive, but I'll see what I can do and I'll treat it as a longer-term thing. It's not like I'm desperate anyway, I could very much drop it all and just keep listening to the Monarch everyday, because it is awesome. But then again, if I could honestly do that, I wouldn't be on Head-Fi LOL.

If you do get a U12t and post any impressions of U12t subbass compared to the Monarch, I will read them with great interest and appreciation!

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #3,288 of 4,771
How well does the mk2 take eq? (Bass boost of course haha) I found when I tried to eq up the mid bass on the original, it started to feel flabby and undefined. Overall, while the sub bass was high I was kind of disappointed overall with the bass quality. If mk2 substantially increases the bass quality and can be eq’d that would be a good reason for me to upgrade.
Edit: And to be clear I'm not thinking of a crazy bass boost, but a low shelf filter starting at 150hz that would bring the mk2 subbass to the original's level.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #3,291 of 4,771
I’m not a big fan. Chunky and heavy. One guys broke already (in the discord group though he may have broken it?) the interchangeable tips are good quality though, but Cable way to stiff and chunky and heavy to me.
Yep the MK2 stock cable is a bit bulky. I replaced it with the 300$ Dunu Blanche modular cable and it s perfect 🙂

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #3,294 of 4,771
Is the Hiby R3 enough to get most of what Monarch has to offer ?

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #3,297 of 4,771
Good to see some MKII reviews/impressions starting to show up. I don't own the Monarch but I had a feeling that there would be some original Monarch fans that end up preferring the original in the end. Not enough feedback to draw conclusions yet I don't think but I'm curiously tagging along. For those who have/had both now, I'm curious whether the MKII takes a back seat to the OG in the details department?

I sold my Oracle. I couldn't find fault with the tuning. Impressed me how well it was tuned every time I listened. I described it as "boring" but in a good way. I think that held true (for me). Great iem but in the end, it was collecting dust so I sent it on it's way.

Nov 15, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #3,298 of 4,771
Good to see some MKII reviews/impressions starting to show up. I don't own the Monarch but I had a feeling that there would be some original Monarch fans that end up preferring the original in the end. Not enough feedback to draw conclusions yet I don't think but I'm curiously tagging along. For those who have/had both now, I'm curious whether the MKII takes a back seat to the OG in the details department?

I sold my Oracle. I couldn't find fault with the tuning. Impressed me how well it was tuned every time I listened. I described it as "boring" but in a good way. I think that held true (for me). Great iem but in the end, it was collecting dust so I sent it on it's way.
Consensus has been details have actually increased but some of the sub bass slam has been lost. Overall considered an improvement with better tuning and more detailed- I own clairvoyance and mk2, but have not heard mk1- I can confirm details on mk2 vs Clair are definitely improved. I Got this info from the discord discussion. Some are saying it is the most details ever heard- while others say U12t voyager 14 or anole vx are still detail kings (and probably divinity v16 of which there is practically no info as yet)

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #3,299 of 4,771
Consensus has been details have actually increased but some of the sub bass slam has been lost. Overall considered an improvement with better tuning and more detailed- I own clairvoyance and mk2, but have not heard mk1- I can confirm details on mk2 vs Clair are definitely improved. I Got this info from the discord discussion. Some are saying it is the most details ever heard- while others say U12t voyager 14 or anole vx are still detail kings (and probably divinity v16 of which there is practically no info as yet)
Interesting. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back