ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Aug 31, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #287 of 4,814
Hello everybody!
Being a new, more of a reader than a writer, I must start by sending out a big "Thank You" to y'all Head-fiers for being such an entertaining and precious resource!

Now, I'm looking for a way to upgrade my current iBasso DX160 or FiiO M11Pro + ThieAudio Legacy 3 commuting combo and call it a year for 2020.
As far as my rookie status in the IEM vast world stretches, I'm currently happy with the L3 already to a certain extent (lucky set, as I read?).
I'm willing to give ThieAudio another chance based on my L3 impressions, looking for more detail, better separation and extension in both lows and highs, so here I am: cracked torn between the Monarch and the Clairvoyance!
Mostly listening to all kind of electronica (house, techno, IDM, lo-fi, ambient).
Since I won't be able to "color" the tuning with tubes and fancy amps with my DAPs, that "light" mid-bass (I need the *thump*!) in the Monarch and general lack of note weight is worrying me, despite the superior technicalities.
I might prefer trading a little detail and separation for thickness, so I'm leaning towards the Clairvoyance lately. They too should be a noticeable step up in detail, separation and stage compared to the L3 no matter what, don't you think?
With the utmost respect for Crin's opinion, BGGAR also plucked the right string with the L3 for me, so... Who am I not to trust his preference again?. =)

Do any of you think I should think twice before opting for the Clairs, based on all of this?
Thanks a lot in advance for any incoming thought.

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #288 of 4,814
Hello everybody!
Being a new, more of a reader than a writer, I must start by sending out a big "Thank You" to y'all Head-fiers for being such an entertaining and precious resource!

Now, I'm looking for a way to upgrade my current iBasso DX160 or FiiO M11Pro + ThieAudio Legacy 3 commuting combo and call it a year for 2020.
As far as my rookie status in the IEM vast world stretches, I'm currently happy with the L3 already to a certain extent (lucky set, as I read?).
I'm willing to give ThieAudio another chance based on my L3 impressions, looking for more detail, better separation and extension in both lows and highs, so here I am: cracked torn between the Monarch and the Clairvoyance!
Mostly listening to all kind of electronica (house, techno, IDM, lo-fi, ambient).
Since I won't be able to "color" the tuning with tubes and fancy amps with my DAPs, that "light" mid-bass (I need the *thump*!) in the Monarch and general lack of note weight is worrying me, despite the superior technicalities.
I might prefer trading a little detail and separation for thickness, so I'm leaning towards the Clairvoyance lately. They too should be a noticeable step up in detail, separation and stage compared to the L3 no matter what, don't you think?
With the utmost respect for Crin's opinion, BGGAR also plucked the right string with the L3 for me, so... Who am I not to trust his preference again?. =)

Do any of you think I should think twice before opting for the Clairs, based on all of this?
As I see, most of your listening is within the electronic and ambient genres. So you should have no problem with the bass on the Monarch opting for the more technical. Those genres works mostly with the sub bass impact and rumble, and both has them in spades.

Now if you were going to listen to Rock, 80/90s pop and metal, as I do, maybe the Clair would be a better choice if you like more (mid) bass presence and warmth on your music.

Though I will still go with the Monarch because I listen to a lot of complex tracks and need that better instruments separation and definition... And later I'm being into jazz and classical, which also benefit a lot from it.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #289 of 4,814
Hello everybody!

IMHO, based on your stated preferences, I think the Clairvoyance is probably going to suit you better. For me, instrument separation and detail are really important, yet if it weren’t for the 20 Ohm resistor mod, I’d also go for the Clairvoyance, just due to the tuning preference I have. Unfortunately, this is speculation on my part. I would appreciate it if those with the Clair would opine.

Aug 31, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #290 of 4,814
So the Monarch will it be for commuting, let's see when Amazon restocks.

I don't think Amazon ever had a "stock." Linsoul just uses Amazon as a storefront. The shipment dates for their "stock" was literally months away. There is a slight advantage in dealing through Amazon in terms of facilitating returns, but even there all they are doing is providing you a shipping label to send your IEMs to China. You can purchase these items through ebay, as well, and ebay does have some buyer protections. Actually, I don't think the issue is with "protections," as Linsoul seems reputable and tries its best. I just think they are dealing with a lot of demand for products they can only produce so fast, and with some QC issues that come from ramped-up production.

Aug 31, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #291 of 4,814
Shipping cost and VAT are a thing in Germany.
While they provide the same price on Amazon.de like on Linsoul, it's inclusive VAT and customs won't charge while they would if i buy from a non Germany based platform.

I know chinese stealth bombers against customs exist (declaring wrong value of purchase), but i don't want to take a risk.

Aug 31, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #292 of 4,814
Shipping cost and VAT are a thing in Germany.
While they provide the same price on Amazon.de like on Linsoul, it's inclusive VAT and customs won't charge while they would if i buy from a non Germany based platform.

I know chinese stealth bombers against customs exist (declaring wrong value of purchase), but i don't want to take a risk.
I did not find the Clairvoyance and Monarch on amazon.de yet :frowning2:

Aug 31, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #293 of 4,814
Can anyone comment on the pressure venting of the Clairvoyance and Monarch? I see that there is a vent hole on the side but I'm not sure how exactly that equalizes the pressure. I'm usually fine as long as there is a vent hole on the front end, either on or near the nozzle, but I have the Legacy 3 which has a single vent on the top near the 2 pin connector and it doesnt seem to equalize pressure in the same way, causing me discomfort

Aug 31, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #294 of 4,814
Can anyone comment on the pressure venting of the Clairvoyance and Monarch? I see that there is a vent hole on the side but I'm not sure how exactly that equalizes the pressure. I'm usually fine as long as there is a vent hole on the front end, either on or near the nozzle, but I have the Legacy 3 which has a single vent on the top near the 2 pin connector and it doesnt seem to equalize pressure in the same way, causing me discomfort
I would guess that it is the same as with the L3. These are tubed systems, where the drivers are all connected to the nozzle via separate tubes. The vent depressurizes the DD, but the air connection between your ear canal and the vent flows through the DD. The advantage of this is it has the potential to provide amazing isolation. The downside is slow equalization of pressure.

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #295 of 4,814
Having had the Monarch for all of 2 hours, I can say that it has plenty of bass. Especially for someone like me coming from the Mangird Tea which is also mostly neutral with some sub-bass boost. People talking about EQ the Monarch for more or using a 20ohm resister to crank up the sub ... I don't get it. That would be a TON of bass.

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #296 of 4,814
Having had the Monarch for all of 2 hours, I can say that it has plenty of bass. Especially for someone like me coming from the Mangird Tea which is also mostly neutral with some sub-bass boost. People talking about EQ the Monarch for more or using a 20ohm resister to crank up the sub ... I don't get it. That would be a TON of bass.
Whenever you’ve had a chance to listen to them for a while, I would appreciate a comparison to the Mangird Tea. TIA.

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #297 of 4,814

That is an important comment to me, I have Mangirds and love them incl. the quantity of bass so if I get a little more than that but not crazy bass head levels in exchange for more details then that sounds good to me. Speaking of, how would you compare mids and trebs briefly between the two sets?

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #298 of 4,814
Whenever you’ve had a chance to listen to them for a while, I would appreciate a comparison to the Mangird Tea. TIA.

Disclaimer - I use the deep-insertion method for wearing the Tea. Also, I'm not a trained reviewer - just a random dude on the internet.

I'll go into some depth later, because I think they are trying to do similar things with their presentation. What I can say now is that the Monarch has both more extension on the highs and is also, somehow, smoother and cleaner. Absolutely no harshness at all. Doing a quick A-B the Tea sounds muted up top in comparison. That's what stands out the most right now. Well, that, and the fact that the sub-bass has truly excellent slam on the Monarch. The mids (especially vocals) on the Tea are exceptional, so that will take some time for me to determine which does it better, though vocals are remarkably clear and life-like on the Monarch.

It's hard to compare them directly, since unlike say the Moondrop Starfield and S8 which have the same tuning target, these do sound different. I'd say, though, that if you generally like what the Tea does, and would enjoy something with more treble that is extremely clean (like, WOW listening to solo harpsichord on the Monarch is just nuts), I think you'd like the Monarch. There's about the same amount of bass to my ears, but with a touch more oomph down at the lowest reaches.

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #299 of 4,814
Disclaimer - I use the deep-insertion method for wearing the Tea. Also, I'm not a trained reviewer - just a random dude on the internet.

I'll go into some depth later, because I think they are trying to do similar things with their presentation. What I can say now is that the Monarch has both more extension on the highs and is also, somehow, smoother and cleaner. Absolutely no harshness at all. Doing a quick A-B the Tea sounds muted up top in comparison. That's what stands out the most right now. Well, that, and the fact that the sub-bass has truly excellent slam on the Monarch. The mids (especially vocals) on the Tea are exceptional, so that will take some time for me to determine which does it better, though vocals are remarkably clear and life-like on the Monarch.

It's hard to compare them directly, since unlike say the Moondrop Starfield and S8 which have the same tuning target, these do sound different. I'd say, though, that if you generally like what the Tea does, and would enjoy something with more treble that is extremely clean (like, WOW listening to solo harpsichord on the Monarch is just nuts), I think you'd like the Monarch. There's about the same amount of bass to my ears, but with a touch more oomph down at the lowest reaches.
Thanks a lot! Enjoy the Monarch, and please let us know if you have any additional updates in the future.

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #300 of 4,814
Free skull massages :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back