ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Aug 31, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #301 of 4,814
Checking back in with impressions of the Monarch with the DX220 MAX... I like it more than I do pairing it with the N6ii E02. I’m not sure that’s going to surprise anyone. I spent the weekend with Odin on the MAX and the Monarch does not feel like a letdown after that. I still prefer electronic music to rock on the Monarch and suspect the Clairvoyance will handle rock music better for my taste.

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #302 of 4,814
I definitely like the Monarch better than the Valkyrie, which I liked a lot but sold along with the Solaris 2020. I should be getting the PWA 4-wire no 10 this week and will be able to compare that pairing to the Monarch with the Leonidas II 4-wire.

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #303 of 4,814
Checking back in with impressions of the Monarch with the DX220 MAX... I like it more than I do pairing it with the N6ii E02. I’m not sure that’s going to surprise anyone. I spent the weekend with Odin on the MAX and the Monarch does not feel like a letdown after that. I still prefer electronic music to rock on the Monarch and suspect the Clairvoyance will handle rock music better for my taste.
How does the MONARCH hold up next to the Odin? Curious because Odin and Valkyrie cost so much more. Thanks in advance. 😃

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #304 of 4,814
How does the MONARCH hold up next to the Odin? Curious because Odin and Valkyrie cost so much more. Thanks in advance. 😃
I’m curious about this too. Just looking at the graph, I like the Monarch tuning a lot more, but of course the graph tells only part of the story, and the Odin is getting universal acclaim.

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #305 of 4,814
I still prefer electronic music to rock on the Monarch and suspect the Clairvoyance will handle rock music better for my taste.
That's an interesting opinion for me, being 99% an electronic music listener... Thank you for sharing this!
Big thanks also fly out to @DeadpoolRJ and @IEMusic for sharing theirs!
I'm still kind of worried about not getting that mid.bass "thump" I need with the Monarch when compared to the Clairvoyance...
Besides, pairing the Monarch with a DAP I'm regarding as rather analytical than warm - FiiO M11 Pro - might result in excellent imaging but a little too much of a "thin" presentation, which I wouldn't like. Just thoughts turning to "first-world fears"?!
:rolling_eyes:

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #307 of 4,814
That's an interesting opinion for me, being 99% an electronic music listener... Thank you for sharing this!
I'm still kind of worried about not getting that mid.bass "thump" I need with the Monarch when compared to the Clairvoyance...
Besides, pairing the Monarch with a DAP I'm regarding as rather analytical than warm - FiiO M11 Pro - might result in excellent imaging but a little too much of a "thin" presentation, which I wouldn't like. Just thoughts turning to "first-world fears"?!
I have been waffling over the same decision myself. I listen to mostly very dynamic electronic music (Aphex Twin etc...). I was inititally drawn to the Monarch as I relish that detail but I already have that in my Moondrop S8. The S8 leaves me wanting a tad more bass at times so I finally decided to go for the Clairvoyance. Really looking forward to trying it!

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #308 of 4,814
I have been waffling over the same decision myself. I listen to mostly very dynamic electronic music (Aphex Twin etc...). I was inititally drawn to the Monarch as I relish that detail but I already have that in my Moondrop S8. The S8 leaves me wanting a tad more bass at times so I finally decided to go for the Clairvoyance. Really looking forward to trying it!
come to daddy

Sep 1, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #309 of 4,814
I’m curious about this too. Just looking at the graph, I like the Monarch tuning a lot more, but of course the graph tells only part of the story, and the Odin is getting universal acclaim.
I like the Monarch a lot. Enough so that I also purchased a custom faceplate/shell UIEM version of the Clairvoyance. The tuning is clean and coherent. The imaging is impressive. It is resolving, incredibly detailed, and possesses a muscular handle of the sub bass frequencies. I am still experimenting with cables. I’ve been using the Leonidas II and will be trying the PWA no. 10 to try to flesh it out. It is easy to recommend at the $700 mark. Comparing it to the Odin is probably not fair since the Odin paired with the DX220 MAX is the best presentation I’ve ever heard from a portable/IEM system (and it is priced accordingly). I recall someone offering the opinion that a well driven Odin is comparable to a quality 2-channel floor speaker system in a properly treated room and I can totally relate to that.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #310 of 4,814
@wizzman121 and I have discussed this over on the Discord Thieaudio thread. I am @headphone_easyrider over there. I listened to the Aphex Twin Collapse EP last night with the Monarch and DX220 MAX and I was very impressed. I especially like how hip hop sounds on this pairing as hip hop (along with electronic music) is low frequency emphasized to begin with and the Monarch throws a clean and clear image to complement that. The treble is crisp. The sub low frequencies are muscular. The mid range content is clear and lean. There is no lower mid-range/upper bass frequency “bloom.” I will be trying the Monarch as a studio monitor, paired with a THX 789. I think it will do well in that role. I do feel that a more analytic source with the Monarch would be too clean and crisp for my taste. I don’t love it with the N6ii E02, and I don’t think that fits anyone’s definition of analytical or sterile. I’m still experimenting with cables and Crinacle has posted very interesting information regarding the use of a 20 ohm 3.5mm resistor in tandem with the Monarch to fill out the low frequency content a bit.

Sep 1, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #311 of 4,814
I look forward to comparing notes once we both get our Clairvoyance. “1st 44” off the Collapse EP has become one of my audio gear test tracks.

Sep 1, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #312 of 4,814
I look forward to comparing notes once we both get our Clairvoyance. “1st 44” off the Collapse EP has become one of my audio gear test tracks.

That song has a lot of very deep tones. Whoa.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #313 of 4,814
Might sound laughable but I am jumping to the clairvoyance or the monarch from my bl03s (leanign toward the clairs since I loved the bass on the blons so much but wouldve liked a more controlled and resolving sound)...I would REALLY appreciate if someone can educate my ignorance on what I should expect. TIA!

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #315 of 4,814
Might sound laughable but I am jumping to the clairvoyance or the monarch from my bl03s (leanign toward the clairs since I loved the bass on the blons so much but wouldve liked a more controlled and resolving sound)...I would REALLY appreciate if someone can educate my ignorance on what I should expect. TIA!

BLON BL-03 has a much bassier sound than the Monarch, so if you like the BLON bass, you'd probably appreciate the Clairvoyance more.

But that's an awfully big jump in price. Is there any way you could find a Clairvoyance to try out and see if what it does better actually matters to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back