ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Aug 2, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #151 of 4,816
If it was a fluke, and is the same IEM that Crinacle listened to and measured, then we can‘t trust the current graph on Crinacle‘s site? I was actually hoping for a sub bass monster, but those that own the Monarch can opine. I was wondering how the sub bass could be so prominent on the Monarch, yet BGGAR found the bass somewhat lacking. I do realize he felt that the mid bass specifically was perhaps lacking some in comparison to the Clairvoyance, but if the sub bass were THAT prominent, I would think that it would in part make up for it.
I think Crin's site is one of the more honest place to look at reviews and graphs. Even on BGGAR graph, both Monarch and Clair have same sub bass, I think his main complaint was from mid bass that was bit lacking compared to Clair.

Aug 2, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #152 of 4,816
I feel like it doesn't bode well that these are already showing unit variation, given what has occurred with the Legacy 3. Don't think I'm willing to gamble $700+ on this brand just yet.

Aug 2, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #154 of 4,816
I feel like it doesn't bode well that these are already showing unit variation, given what has occurred with the Legacy 3. Don't think I'm willing to gamble $700+ on this brand just yet.
That'll be as mistake 😉

Aug 2, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #155 of 4,816
I think Crin's site is one of the more honest place to look at reviews and graphs. Even on BGGAR graph, both Monarch and Clair have same sub bass, I think his main complaint was from mid bass that was bit lacking compared to Clair.
Yikes! Is that the way my comments came across? Please let me clarify.

I’m in no way criticizing Crinacle’s graph/s. In fact, I view his site as the standard. I’m familiar with how his graphs look, making it much easier to quickly interpret. My “trust” comment was regarding IF Crinacle may have inadvertently received a copy that wasn‘t truly representative of the final production tuning. Like what happened with the T2 Plus.

If it was a preproduction unit, that doesn’t equate to sample variation either. I didn’t mean to stir up so much speculation. Like Toranku said, lets wait and see if there’s even anything there.

Aug 3, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #156 of 4,816
how they can make one tuning, put it out there and after that change it ? why brah?
yeah, this practice became acceptable when fir audio did this with kilobuck IEMs and it didn't seem to bite into their sales or get their card pulled by consumers. I'm with @jibberish on this.

Aug 3, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #158 of 4,816
yeah, this practice became acceptable when fir audio did this with kilobuck IEMs and it didn't seem to bite into their sales or get their card pulled by consumers. I'm with @jibberish on this.
Unfortunate events do happens and for Thie this is one of the case. Even with the top quality QC, products do fail (eg. My Ipad pro came out bent and had to go through dumb shenanigan with the genius bar to get it replaced), tho I am sure Thie is putting more effort to the QC from bunch feedbacks...
It a rough start... but S rank or not Monarch/Clair would get their spotlight.
Furthermore, I think for L3, I think there was deeper story than just having different unit variation and been discussed at the thread.
Def not saying to jump in and gamble but lets wait for more impressions and reviews :D

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #159 of 4,816
According to Tork it was a fluke unit. No indication that Thieaudio is changing the tuning across the board.

Yes. It may be a fluke. Reason being that it should not have such a massive subbass shelf and that the bass shelf should start at 150hz, which led to some people suspecting that the unit had some issues. Some are guessing wrong RC values.

Edit: Personally I am hoping that it is indeed a fluke. If they can reduce the shelf down to 7-8dB regardless of where the shelf starts (150 or 200hz), it would fit right into my preferences and would shape up to be a monster.

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Aug 9, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #162 of 4,816
Aug 12, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #164 of 4,816
There is a new measurement of the Monarch from Crinacle. I took a screenshot a day ago in comparison to the S8F. The first measurement of the Monarch is red and the new one is blue (above). Green is the S8F. So the Monarch have a little less sub bass as expected.
Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-12 um 15.48.22.png

And here is the comparison between Monarch (blue) and the Clairvoyance (yellow)
Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-12 um 15.56.05.png

The Clair graph looks tempting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back