thieaudio phantom information?
Oct 6, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #121 of 198
It's been a while since I heard the Sundara, but it was reminiscent of the Hifiman HE560, but a little bit smoother treble response, but not as well extended in both bass and treble. The HE560 was a bit more edgier, which people find bright (it's that drop in the 1-2K followed by a spike up in the upper midrange that can get you).

The orange line (Phantom) is much darker and drops off a cliff without all the mods.
With the elevated bass and the treble spikes on the graph it's no wonder that the Phantom can sound both dark and have a treble edge at the same time...

By the way, I did just move the large square foams from the pad side to the grill side (no foam on pad side, no nylon cover on grill). Does sound better. Still a very dark headphone. But I think I will keep it in this config (with my ZMF suede pads) and call it as good as I will make it...

Oct 6, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #122 of 198
I did have the square square foams from the ear pad side of the driver on the grill side (as seen on my last post with the new grills). But I took that foam out entirely and then attached some speaker cloth to the backside of my grills with double sided tape. Now it's foam free on both sides. Sounds great and keeps the driver protected. Here's a pic:

2019-10-06.jpg

Oct 6, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #123 of 198
I did have the square square foams from the ear pad side of the driver on the grill side (as seen on my last post with the new grills). But I took that foam out entirely and then attached some speaker cloth to the backside of my grills with double sided tape. Now it's foam free on both sides. Sounds great and keeps the driver protected. Here's a pic:

Thanks for the tip! I am basically following your path through the mods! :). When you say speaker cloth is that something I can just order by that name on Amazon, or is it something very specific?

Oct 6, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #124 of 198
Thanks for the tip! I am basically following your path through the mods! :). When you say speaker cloth is that something I can just order by that name on Amazon, or is it something very specific?

Happy to help. I'm not 100% sure about where I got the stuff I used, I've had it for so long. But it's thin, more similar to THIS one on on Amazon than like THIS thicker one.

Oct 6, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #125 of 198
Happy to help. I'm not 100% sure about where I got the stuff I used, I've had it for so long. But it's thin, more similar to THIS one on on Amazon than like THIS thicker one.

Great, thanks for the pointer!

Are you having any issues taming any of the treble peaks (the first question ought to be do you notice any)? I found that the square foam on either the pad or grill side SEEMS to tame these, at least to me... concerned that if I just go with cloth and no foam I will hear those. But no matter, the cloth is an awesome idea to cover the grill opening!

Oct 6, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #126 of 198
Great, thanks for the pointer!

Are you having any issues taming any of the treble peaks (the first question ought to be do you notice any)? I found that the square foam on either the pad or grill side SEEMS to tame these, at least to me... concerned that if I just go with cloth and no foam I will hear those. But no matter, the cloth is an awesome idea to cover the grill opening!

I haven't heard any peaks that bothered me, but to be fair, when I bought mine I bought them used. They were already broken in and had the foam removed from the ear pad side of the driver, but the small foam circles were still in the grill side. Maybe one day I'll put all the stock stuff back on to experience that baseline.

Also, if you find that the treble still needs a bit of taming after you remove the foam and add the speaker cloth, you can always double up the speaker cloth behind the grills, or even add a piece over the driver on the ear pad side. I did that on my M1060's ear pad side with my speaker cloth and it made for a nice change.

Oct 6, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #127 of 198

Bro hook me up. Is this the guy from the other forums?

Oct 6, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #129 of 198
I haven't heard any peaks that bothered me, but to be fair, when I bought mine I bought them used. They were already broken in and had the foam removed from the ear pad side of the driver, but the small foam circles were still in the grill side. Maybe one day I'll put all the stock stuff back on to experience that baseline.

Also, if you find that the treble still needs a bit of taming after you remove the foam and add the speaker cloth, you can always double up the speaker cloth behind the grills, or even add a piece over the driver on the ear pad side. I did that on my M1060's ear pad side with my speaker cloth and it made for a nice change.
I am thinking that in addition to removing the pad and adding the speaker cloth on the grill side, I might experiment with a little speaker cloth on the inside of the pad side... hmmmm...

Oct 7, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #130 of 198
Is this a good upgrade from the audio technica ath-m50x? As you can see in my signature I own a lot of Iems but only the m50x in headphones. My prefered sound is harman target/neutral, but do not want something that is similar in highs to the audiosense T800 as I find it too much for me. ( I am 19 so my hearing is good and probably why I find the t800 too much for me)

TIA

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #131 of 198
Yes these will easily feel like an upgrade to the M50X. I can only hear up to around 17khz and I don't find these to be sibilant, but they can get shouty if you're too used to more recessed highs.

At first I found them enjoyable but underwhelming, as the sound is noticeably veiled even if still detailed in the higher frequencies. After a bit of tinkering, I found they have pretty amazing headroom for bass (and really really high quality bass, at that) and they can open up significantly if you're into soundstage and dynamics as I am. After the usual mods (removed grill fabric and square foam on the ear side, swapped the two circles behind the grill with the square foam), adding ZMF oval suede pads, and EQing, the result is a very happy me who isn't even looking at other headphones. Here's a few examples of the type of music I like:

Source is SMSL SU8 (standard setting, fast linear) to a Burson Soloist SL MKII. Here's the EQ I use with Peace:

phantom EQ 2.PNG

phantom EQ.PNG

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #132 of 198
Yes these will easily feel like an upgrade to the M50X. I can only hear up to around 17khz and I don't find these to be sibilant, but they can get shouty if you're too used to more recessed highs.

At first I found them enjoyable but underwhelming, as the sound is noticeably veiled even if still detailed in the higher frequencies. After a bit of tinkering, I found they have pretty amazing headroom for bass (and really really high quality bass, at that) and they can open up significantly if you're into soundstage and dynamics as I am. After the usual mods (removed grill fabric and square foam on the ear side, swapped the two circles behind the grill with the square foam), adding ZMF oval suede pads, and EQing, the result is a very happy me who isn't even looking at other headphones. Here's a few examples of the type of music I like:

Source is SMSL SU8 (standard setting, fast linear) to a Burson Soloist SL MKII. Here's the EQ I use with Peace:

Sounds very nice, will I be able to drive it with my fiio m11? And do you think that if I attach an antlion modmic to it the magnetfield will be disturbed??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back