ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Oct 20, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #121 of 1,211
For those who don’t know this yet: IEM measurements are more art than science at this point. There are quite a few different couplers (the thing the IEM is inserted in that’s attached to the microphone). You CAN NOT directly compare measurements taken with different couplers. Which is why almost all graphs mention what coupler was used (unless you’re Crinical and most know).

And,… ALL of these couplers (especially the older ones that were TOTL when Crinical started his site [which he’s kept using because otherwise one wouldn’t be able to compare measurements taken with the new coupler to those taken by the old one]. If he did he’d have to start over again and/or have 2 different data bases) are notoriously inaccurate in the higher frequencies. Due to sound waves in a metal tube ().

There is less than nothing wrong with Crinical’s measurements. But they can NOT be directly compared to measurements taken by anyone else. Unfortunately that’s just where we’re at in the IEM world. It’s stone age tech compared to what’s used for measurements in the rest of the audio reproduction world.

Oct 20, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #122 of 1,211
For those who don’t know this yet: IEM measurements are more art than science at this point. There are quite a few different couplers (the thing the IEM is inserted in that’s attached to the microphone). You CAN NOT directly compare measurements taken with different couplers. Which is why almost all graphs mention what coupler was used (unless you’re Crinical and most know).

And,… ALL of these couplers (especially the older ones that were TOTL when Crinical started his site [which he’s kept using because otherwise one wouldn’t be able to compare measurements taken with the new coupler to those taken by the old one]. If he did he’d have to start over again and/or have 2 different data bases) are notoriously inaccurate in the higher frequencies. Due to sound waves in a metal tube ().

There is less than nothing wrong with Crinical’s measurements. But they can NOT be directly compared to measurements taken by anyone else. Unfortunately that’s just where we’re at in the IEM world. It’s stone age tech compared to what’s used for measurements in the rest of the audio reproduction world.
Absolutely.

Its system is only interesting in the context of its own ecosystem.

And again, because it uses a lot of offsets. Which we are not sure are always calibrated in the same way (according to the models measured, over the years)...

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #123 of 1,211
Just got these and prelim experience with my Hiby R6 2020 is wonderful (via balance out). Sounds like a satisfying upgrade to my blessing 2.

Update:
So far it's been extremely enjoyable using these. Will do a side by side with the Blessings and let y'all know. I've never tried the u12t so I won't be able to weigh in on that

Also for comfort, the stock tips are harsh. Either the new spinfit w1 ear tips (if you prefer deeper seating) or JVC spiral dots (if you prefer shallower seating) make a nice positive impact

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #124 of 1,211
I did a quick comparison and the Monarch and Blessing 2 were very close in performance on teh two tracks i tested. The monarch was a little cleaner and more resolving but surprisingly the bass notes had more punch on the blessing 2s. The only rationale I can come up with for that is that the B2s transition from upper bass to lower mids is more gradual which aids in carrying more weight to the bass notes?

I really like the Monarch Mk2 but if you are strapped for cash you really arent missing out. It also is a testament to how good the B2s are for the price.

Oct 26, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #125 of 1,211
Just got these and prelim experience with my Hiby R6 2020 is wonderful (via balance out). Sounds like a satisfying upgrade to my blessing 2.

Update:
So far it's been extremely enjoyable using these. Will do a side by side with the Blessings and let y'all know. I've never tried the u12t so I won't be able to weigh in on that

Also for comfort, the stock tips are harsh. Either the new spinfit w1 ear tips (if you prefer deeper seating) or JVC spiral dots (if you prefer shallower seating) make a nice positive impact
I fully agree with you on the Monarch MKII's tips. I upgraded to the SpinFit W1s, which made a world of difference in comfort. Somehow the stock tips (even the smallest ones) were too tight for me, and I felt a noticeable pressure, tightness, and discomfort in my ears after 30 mins or so. With the SpinFit W1s, this discomfort has been reduced, and I can go for much longer listening sessions. I do feel the presence in my ears though because it is a big IEM after all, but it is much more comfortable. It's worth upgrading to the SpinFit W1s in my opinion as this is a small investment that gives huge returns in terms of comfort and makes the overall MKII experience much more enjoyable!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #126 of 1,211
I fully agree with you on the Monarch MKII's tips. I upgraded to the SpinFit W1s, which made a world of difference in comfort. Somehow the stock tips (even the smallest ones) were too tight for me, and I felt a noticeable pressure, tightness, and discomfort in my ears after 30 mins or so. With the SpinFit W1s, this discomfort has been reduced, and I can go for much longer listening sessions. I do feel the presence in my ears though because it is a big IEM after all, but it is much more comfortable. It's worth upgrading to the SpinFit W1s in my opinion as this is a small investment that gives huge returns in terms of comfort and makes the overall MKII experience much more enjoyable!
Just got myself a set of W1 spinfit tips as well, they work so well with the Monarch Mk2!
On the stock tips i had to use Small for left side and Medium for right side. It would fit snugly but over time (30 minutes onwards) it sort of feels like it’s coming off.
After using the W1 i can just leave them in and not worry about them coming lose at all. The small pair worked for both sides.

Oct 27, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #127 of 1,211
Just got myself a set of W1 spinfit tips as well, they work so well with the Monarch Mk2!
On the stock tips i had to use Small for left side and Medium for right side. It would fit snugly but over time (30 minutes onwards) it sort of feels like it’s coming off.
After using the W1 i can just leave them in and not worry about them coming lose at all. The small pair worked for both sides.
Good to know that you found a good fit. Enjoy your Monarch! It’s a lovely IEM!

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #128 of 1,211
I bought this monarch mk2 second with a 650usd price tag, and maybe this is my first and most expensive iem that I ever buy, and I am amazed by its sounds. Before I buy this, I tried u12t and mest mk2 too, but both of them don't have a good vocal like monarch mk2. The build quality is so-so for a 1000 USD iem, just like the usual chi-fi product. And the fit is not for everyone, it's so big that I can't handle it after listening to it for 2 hours, but after i change the ear tips to spiral dot++ now it's very comfortable that I can use it for easy 6 hours++.
How is the bass response with the spiral dot tips? I have small ears and a narrow ear canal. I like the CP 155s, but they jut out in my ears. I'm looking for a shorter tips and was recommended the jvcs.

Nov 3, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #129 of 1,211
How is the bass response with the spiral dot tips? I have small ears and a narrow ear canal. I like the CP 155s, but they jut out in my ears. I'm looking for a shorter tips and was recommended the jvcs.
Something else you might want to take consider are 64 Audio’s house silicone tips. They are quite a lot shorter than most and smaller in diameter, mediums are 10mm and small 8mm if I am remembering correctly. But they will change the sound noticeably due to their very short length.

https://www.64audio.com/collections/eartips/products/silicone-ear-tips

This is a photo of the medium 64 tips on the Clairvoyance to give an idea of length
F1026821-E7F4-4ABE-82D5-36402D25223F.jpeg

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #130 of 1,211
Something else you might want to take consider are 64 Audio’s house silicone tips. They are quite a lot shorter than most and smaller in diameter, mediums are 10mm and small 8mm if I am remembering correctly. But they will change the sound noticeably due to their very short length.

https://www.64audio.com/collections/eartips/products/silicone-ear-tips

This is a photo of the medium 64 tips on the Clairvoyance to give an idea of length
F1026821-E7F4-4ABE-82D5-36402D25223F.jpeg
Nice. I like the look of that, but I am concerned about how this changes the sound. CP155s made the bass more "focused" to my ears. How do these sound to your ears compared to the original tips?

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #131 of 1,211
Nice. I like the look of that, but I am concerned about how this changes the sound. CP155s made the bass more "focused" to my ears. How do these sound to your ears compared to the original tips?
The tips I was using before were CP360s, I used the CP100s before and I cant say I noticed a difference.

With those 64 tips it sounds, to my ears, more crisp and open. I haven’t A/Bed them so that’s just what sprang to mind, if they have had an affect on bass it wasn’t one I minded. But my main reason for using these tips over spin fits is with the latter I’d get uncomfortable pressure build up from putting them in most of the time. With the 64 tips that’s not an issue.

Nov 4, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #132 of 1,211
I went back and forth between those 64 tips and cp155s a couple times on the Clairvoyance. There does seem to be some minor impact on (at least) perceived bass but not enough to be able to tell if it’s because it’s attenuated or because there’s more of a focus on the higher frequencies. I’ll get out the RTA mic later and take some free air measurements (that’ll at least be okay for comparison), maybe even mess around with shrink wrap if I have time. I’ll post if there are notable repeatable differences.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #133 of 1,211
I am disappointed with Monarch Mkii, I think it’s a step backwards. Sold my Monarch OG and Mkii. Crinacle sucks IMO. Got lucky, getting a gently used Aure Elixir, that’s it never looked back at Monarch anymore.

Nov 6, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #134 of 1,211
I am disappointed with Monarch Mkii, I think it’s a step backwards. Sold my Monarch OG and Mkii. Crinacle sucks IMO. Got lucky, getting a gently used Aure Elixir, that’s it never looked back at Monarch anymore.
Fits issues? I'm clearly appreciate my Mk2 after apply custom tips :relieved: ...

Nov 6, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #135 of 1,211
Fits issues? I'm clearly appreciate my Mk2 after apply custom tips :relieved: ...
Doesn’t sound like it, what with the personal attacks on one of the reviewers most responsible for hyping it and all. I’m guessing we’re probably putting out food for trolls with these responses. I’m not sure what else would explain it unless they thought a $1k IEM was going to be 5x better than one for $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back