ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Nov 6, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #136 of 1,211
Fits issues? I'm clearly appreciate my Mk2 after apply custom tips :relieved: ...
I did tip rollings. For 1k IEM, and only a tad bit improvement to my KBear Believe, that does not sit right with me.

I was dumbfounded and disappointed, I started to thinks for every two folds of price will only getting 5% improvement.

Granted Aure Elixir is $2000, but I got it with the same price as Monarch… and it was mindblowing. It was not 5%, but a whole different class altogether.

Now, I am contemplating whether to get past $2000 price point to hear those majestic sounds.

Nov 6, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #137 of 1,211
I did tip rollings. For 1k IEM, and only a tad bit improvement to my KBear Believe, that does not sit right with me.

I was dumbfounded and disappointed, I started to thinks for every two folds of price will only getting 5% improvement.

Granted Aure Elixir is $2000, but I got it with the same price as Monarch… and it was mindblowing. It was not 5%, but a whole different class altogether.

Now, I am contemplating whether to get past $2000 price point to hear those majestic sounds.

What kind of music do you listen to? Curious to see what genres they came across as disappointing on

Nov 6, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #138 of 1,211
I’m surprised by half of these responses to the MMKII. I’ve had mine for a solid 6 months now and they’re by far the best set I own. I also do not understand the talk about the lack of bass - either mine has the incorrect tuning or I’m just not as picky. My set has thumpy sub bass, with decent enough punch in the mid bass. But for me, the star of the show is the mids. It’s so natural and clear, with a life-like reply that none of my other sets can give me. Female vocals on the MMKII sound absolutely incredible, it gives me chills every now and again still to this day.

I guess I must be one of the lucky ones where my ear anatomy links up with the Monarch’s in a way where they just *click*.

Nov 6, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #139 of 1,211
I’m surprised by half of these responses to the MMKII. I’ve had mine for a solid 6 months now and they’re by far the best set I own. I also do not understand the talk about the lack of bass - either mine has the incorrect tuning or I’m just not as picky. My set has thumpy sub bass, with decent enough punch in the mid bass. But for me, the star of the show is the mids. It’s so natural and clear, with a life-like reply that none of my other sets can give me. Female vocals on the MMKII sound absolutely incredible, it gives me chills every now and again still to this day.

I guess I must be one of the lucky ones where my ear anatomy links up with the Monarch’s in a way where they just *click*.
No seal, no thumpy sub-bass... fit is important :thumbsup:

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #140 of 1,211
No seal, no thumpy sub-bass... fit is important :thumbsup:
You’re definitely right about that. The Monarch’s are the best fitting and sealing IEM I have and it’s not even close. I can wear them for hours without discomfort. Changing the cable to a lighter cable with shorter 2 pin connectors helped a ton btw. I also use the translucent cylinder style tips that came with the Timeless, and those are so soft and pliable that the mediums are both super isolating and comfortable. I guess I just got lucky? Some people really dislike the MMKII and it’s sad to see - I wish they had the same experience as me because they’re a special set to my ears.

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #141 of 1,211

I see Crinacle gave it a B- and not even high on the technicals. Oof. There are obvious objective factors that may result in differences (source, tips, memory issue rating in-between iems, etc.) but sound is also a lot like food preferences. Unsurprisingly, out of the lengthy rankings floating around, there is a lot of variation between them.

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #142 of 1,211
I see Crinacle gave it a B- and not even high on the technicals. Oof. There are obvious objective factors that may result in differences (source, tips, memory issue rating in-between iems, etc.) but sound is also a lot like food preferences. Unsurprisingly, out of the lengthy rankings floating around, there is a lot of variation between them.
Maybe quality control issue. For Monarch OG, love the bass, but very dry and two dimension.

Now Mkii came in, improved everything else, but yet, they killed the bass.

Nov 6, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #143 of 1,211
Maybe quality control issue. For Monarch OG, love the bass, but very dry and two dimension.

Now Mkii came in, improved everything else, but yet, they killed the bass.
I had a similar experience when I tried it. Mids and vocals were fantastic, but bass was just "ok"; I was certainly expecting way more texture and oomf to it, and treble lacked air/extension. It may be QC, but precog had a similar experience with the bass and treble so idk anymore.

Nov 6, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #144 of 1,211
I had a similar experience when I tried it. Mids and vocals were fantastic, but bass was just "ok"; I was certainly expecting way more texture and oomf to it, and treble lacked air/extension. It may be QC, but precog had a similar experience with the bass and treble so idk anymore.

Yep, sold it… if you have not tried the champs IEM sub $500, you might think that Monarch is awesome. But if you tried Mangird, Believe, Blessings and other top notch IEM sub $500… it is nothing special.

Lack of spatial audio for sure.

Like I said, I hit the jackpot getting Aure Elixir which is crazy good IMO.

Elixir to me = Monarch Mkii x2 with livelier timbre and deep bass of Monarch OG. For $1000 new Monarch Mkii, it’s a disappointment.

You could get gently used IEM upward $2000 for the same price of Monarch. Would do that instead. For example, Empire Ear lineups.

Nov 6, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #145 of 1,211
My experiences and views are related to the few posts above: sound signature preferences and in-ear seal, fit, and comfort are all very subjective.

I own the Monarch MKIIs (which I love) and was looking to upgrade. Based on the availability in my city, my budget, research, and reading of various forums I had zeroed in on the 64Audio U12t. Everyone was raving about them, and I had 99% made up my mind that I would like them as an upgrade. When I went for my pre-purchase listening session, I tried the 64 Audio lineup while A/B listening to my Monarch MKII as a reference. I did this to try and understand how much of an upgrade I was getting. To my surprise, I didn't like the 64Audio U12t. To me, it didn't feel like an upgrade over the Monarch MKII, and more so considering that it was 50-60% more expensive. I give full marks to the MKIIs for punching above their weight! I then listened to the 64 Audio Trio and absolutely fell in love with it. I thought that this was an upgrade that indeed justified the extra money I would be paying. I also realized that maybe I personally prefer hybrid IEMs more than pure BA ones.

My point is that while we share our views, opinions, and experiences, one must always try and listen to gear before buying it. In my case, had I gone with the majority opinion (u12t), I would be suffering from major buyer's remorse right now. Thankfully, this didn't happen. We all will have different opinions and views based on our personal preferences, likes, and dislikes and hence may not always understand or be convinced of someone else's choice. This is ok! :)

One more thing- out of the box, I found the MKIIs stock ear tips too large for my tastes. Even the smallest size tips felt too tight and uncomfortable after 20-30 mins. I upgraded to the SpinFit W1 Silicon Eartips and found that the seal and comfort improved a lot. It was like a night and day difference for me and now I am enjoying my MKIIs to the fullest! My 64 Audio Trio of course complements them extremely well!

Nov 7, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #146 of 1,211
You’re definitely right about that. The Monarch’s are the best fitting and sealing IEM I have and it’s not even close. I can wear them for hours without discomfort. Changing the cable to a lighter cable with shorter 2 pin connectors helped a ton btw. I also use the translucent cylinder style tips that came with the Timeless, and those are so soft and pliable that the mediums are both super isolating and comfortable. I guess I just got lucky? Some people really dislike the MMKII and it’s sad to see - I wish they had the same experience as me because they’re a special set to my ears.

Good that the MKIIs work fine for you!
Out of the box, I found the MKIIs stock ear tips too large for my tastes. Even the smallest size tips felt too tight and uncomfortable after 20-30 mins. I upgraded to the SpinFit W1 Silicon Eartips and found that the seal and comfort improved a lot. It was like a night and day difference for me and now I am enjoying my MKIIs to the fullest!

Nov 7, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #147 of 1,211
That’s the problem. How do you audition an IEM?

Nov 7, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #148 of 1,211
I agree. It's difficult, especially if you do not have an audio store nearby that offers auditions. I live in India and have two ways to audition IEMs and headphones:
1. There is a local store that allows me to fix an appointment and go in for auditions of the gear they have.
2. There is another online store that organizes yearly audiophile events in various cities during which they offer a wide range of headphones and IEMs for trial. They charge a very nominal fee for attending this event.

Other than these, if there's some sort of an audiophile connect/community going on in your city (e.g., Facebook or WhatsApp Groups), then that could help too.

Nov 7, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #149 of 1,211
How is the bass response with the spiral dot tips? I have small ears and a narrow ear canal. I like the CP 155s, but they jut out in my ears. I'm looking for a shorter tips and was recommended the jvcs.
i don't see any differences in bass, but the treble is more smoother

Nov 7, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #150 of 1,211
I just pay the 15% restocking fee but I'm lucky to have the money to be able to do that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back