ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Apr 23, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #1,187 of 1,203
Yep, I have compared those. So, you wrong, again..
Tanchjim Space measurements
Mojo 2 measurements

The Mojo has worse SINAD, (SNR, THD+S), Dynamic Range. It also has much worse Jitter and it has lower power and is bigger.

Does it make it a bad device? No, its basically transparent. But it is comparatively worse, so while I am not saying your device is bad, I am saying that you are wrong that it is better than the Tanchjim Space. 😉👍

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #1,188 of 1,203
Help
Mk2 or mk3 or save cash and go Mega5est or hype 4? Use B2D.. tried variations and ie600 and didnt like them. Guess i like forward vocals.
Do you prefer more punch and correct weight to lower frequency instruments like bass guitars, piano, electronic bass? If you do go for the MMk3, if you prefer a cut between the bass and mids then go for the MMk2.

The Mega 5est sounds and plots like the new Dusk (default mode) but costs way more.

5est mids clearly loose to the Monarchs.

The so called technicalities go to the MMk3, the MMk2 is close, the 5est is less "resolving" with less "micro details". I don't hear any decent stage in any iems so don't see much importance to comment on it, but it is quite similar on all 3.

Hope this gives some comparison points, but you should absolutely try yourself, this matter is extremely subjective. And $1k ain't cheap.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #1,191 of 1,203
Tanchjim Space measurements
Mojo 2 measurements

The Mojo has worse SINAD, (SNR, THD+S), Dynamic Range. It also has much worse Jitter and it has lower power and is bigger.

Does it make it a bad device? No, its basically transparent. But it is comparatively worse, so while I am not saying your device is bad, I am saying that you are wrong that it is better than the Tanchjim Space. 😉👍
Yanec, I closed that topic with you by sending you a link to show you that an amp can have U-shaped reply. It looks like it took you time to find the two links for me. And you know - OOOOO my god, Space is so good, that is just close to RME ADI-2 and a step behind from Hugo TT2. Don't get blinded by science!

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #1,192 of 1,203
Yanec, I closed that topic with you by sending you a link to show you that an amp can have U-shaped reply. It looks like it took you time to find the two links for me. And you know - OOOOO my god, Space is so good, that is just close to RME ADI-2 and a step behind from Hugo TT2. Don't get blinded by science!

So you don't want me to provide the ASR reviews that show how the Space outperforms the Mojo 2 in all aspects? Because this makes your claim that the Mojo 2 is much better baseless. 😉

No need to repeat your usual claim that dac/amp measurements mean nothing, just because you advised the worse device since it's the one you own. My post just provides the facts, this is useful for the person who asked unless you oppose people reading facts. Now let's stop the offtop.

To that HTA200 video, it's a machine with a lot of distortion and incorrect, not transparent frequency response. Of course there are devices that are not correct. Not all devices can be. I have discussed it with Erin personally when he made the video that you tried to open my eye with, and what we talked about is that there are types of music that just don't work with such amps, classical is completely intolerable fir example.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #1,193 of 1,203
Do you prefer more punch and correct weight to lower frequency instruments like bass guitars, piano, electronic bass? If you do go for the MMk3, if you prefer a cut between the bass and mids then go for the MMk2.

The Mega 5est sounds and plots like the new Dusk (default mode) but costs way more.

5est mids clearly loose to the Monarchs.

The so called technicalities go to the MMk3, the MMk2 is close, the 5est is less "resolving" with less "micro details". I don't hear any decent stage in any iems so don't see much importance to comment on it, but it is quite similar on all 3.

Hope this gives some comparison points, but you should absolutely try yourself, this matter is extremely subjective. And $1k ain't cheap.
" I don't hear any decent stage in any iems so don't see much importance to comment on it, but it is quite similar on all 3."
So you don't want me to provide the ASR reviews that show how the Space outperforms the Mojo 2 in all aspects? Because this makes your claim that the Mojo 2 is much better baseless. 😉

No need to repeat your usual claim that dac/amp measurements mean nothing, just because you advised the worse device since it's the one you own. My post just provides the facts, this is useful for the person who asked unless you oppose people reading facts. Now let's stop the offtop.

To that HTA200 video, it's a machine with a lot of distortion and incorrect, not transparent frequency response. Of course there are devices that are not correct. Not all devices can be. I have discussed it with Erin personally when he made the video that you tried to open my eye with, and what we talked about is that there are types of music that just don't work with such amps, classical is completely intolerable fir example.
Hi,
The ASR reviews are OK. I do not challenge the precision there. Second, it is a bad assumption of yours to think that I do not follow him and do not know about these reviews. But I would advice you to not get blinded by science - many measurements are far below the threshold that we can hear or will make a difference in a non-ideal system. And also, check this:

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #1,194 of 1,203
I need some help with my next purchase, this after 10 years with a Lehmann Black Cube Linear and an HD800. It's been a month, and everyday I'm reminded how at how poorly the HD800 compares to the MK2.

I got a Moondrop Dawn Pro two weeks ago, it sounded better than the RME, the bass was more textured I thought and it had more power.

Comparing the BLC vs the Dawn Pro's amp section:
I've been using the single ended out on the Dawn set to my preferred volume level, the BLC is volume matched as best I can, on it's 20v or 18v tap, the volume is just shy of 12 o' clock on the BCL dial.

This allows me to reliably switch as fast as I can but no blind test obviously. I've been trying to understand what a desktop amp can bring to the table, keeping the IEM and DAC the same.

Been testing two tracks:
Vivaldi, 4 seasons, Janine Jansen - Concert 2 III presto.
Shoot To Thrill, ACDC back in black.

I find the BLC to be lush, smoother, yet detail, wider soundstage, less congested in the mids, it has a weight with heft and more musical.
The Dawn pro, is mid prominent, not shouty by itself but a lot more pokey, I like it too.

This is confusing me as the BLC is clearly coloring the sound as it's fed from the same single ended output post Dawn Pro amp section.

The only thing I can take away from this is a desktop class amp is my preferred delivery with my tiny sample of gear I have available to test with. The BCL has a liquidy thing going on that the Dawn doesn't by itself, it's more analytical, narrow, maybe even clearer which can amount to sounding cold.

My takeaway is that the old gal BCL has some life left in her and maybe I should look into another portable Amp/Dac. One that will give me some of that desktop amp quality on the go with a decent DAC. I don't know how much more a better DAC will sound, I previously returned an ddHiFi TC44Pro thing with the same chip that this Dawn Pro uses, that ddhifi thing was disgustingly shouty, unbearable.

Long story short I want to get that effortless heft and soundstage on the go, I've been looking at the Mojo2, H7 etc, and the more I look the more confused I get.

Would love to hear more advice on this, I'm not looking for a DAP like I was. I want a device that will not show it's age with android etc over time, hell I'm an android dev in my day job. I don't mind a larger box that I can velcro to my phone case, I was worried about the H7 lower bass rolloff.

Also do these bigger portable amps start to approach the desktop class amps? Thanks and I apologise for the long post.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #1,195 of 1,203
I need some help with my next purchase, this after 10 years with a Lehmann Black Cube Linear and an HD800. It's been a month, and everyday I'm reminded how at how poorly the HD800 compares to the MK2.

I got a Moondrop Dawn Pro two weeks ago, it sounded better than the RME, the bass was more textured I thought and it had more power.

I've been using the single ended out on the Dawn set to my preferred volume level, the BLC is volume matched as best I can, on it's 20v or 18v tap, the volume is just shy of 12 o' clock on the BCL dial.

This allows me to reliably switch as fast as I can but no blind test obviously. I've been trying to understand what a desktop amp can bring to the table, keeping the IEM and DAC the same.

Been testing two tracks:

I find the BLC to be lush, smoother, yet detail, wider soundstage, less congested in the mids, it has a weight with heft and more musical.
The Dawn pro, is mid prominent, not shouty by itself but a lot more pokey, I like it too.

This is confusing me as the BLC is clearly coloring the sound as it's fed from the same single ended output post Dawn Pro amp section.

The only thing I can take away from this is a desktop class amp is my preferred delivery with my tiny sample of gear I have available to test with. The BCL has a liquidy thing going on that the Dawn doesn't by itself, it's more analytical, narrow, maybe even clearer which can amount to sounding cold.

My takeaway is that the old gal BCL has some life left in her and maybe I should look into another portable Amp/Dac. One that will give me some of that desktop amp quality on the go with a decent DAC. I don't know how much more a better DAC will sound, I previously returned an ddHiFi TC44Pro thing with the same chip that this Dawn Pro uses, that ddhifi thing was disgustingly shouty, unbearable.

Long story short I want to get that effortless heft and soundstage on the go, I've been looking at the Mojo2, H7 etc, and the more I look the more confused I get.

Would love to hear more advice on this, I'm not looking for a DAP like I was. I want a device that will not show it's age with android etc over time, hell I'm an android dev in my day job. I don't mind a larger box that I can velcro to my phone case, I was worried about the H7 lower bass rolloff.

Also do these bigger portable amps start to approach the desktop class amps? Thanks and I apologise for the long post.
I remember when i compared the MMk2 to a bunch of full sized headphones, powered by a quite expensive desktop sources and they destroyed Aryas, hd820-obviously, Abyss Diana v2 and they even beat the hd800s. You appreciate the Monarch 2 even more when you compare them to other iems and headphones. They are incredibly good.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #1,196 of 1,203
I remember when i compared the MMk2 to a bunch of full sized headphones, powered by a quite expensive desktop sources and they destroyed Aryas, hd820-obviously, Abyss Diana v2 and they even beat the hd800s. You appreciate the Monarch 2 even more when you compare them to other iems and headphones. They are incredibly good.
Compared to the HD800, it's like somebody ripped out the bass driver mounted the mid and tweeter on a plank of wood. It's shockingly lacking any body and realistic timbre. When I was trying to decide with IEM, I used Dan's Audio Reviews to help as I couldn't audition them. As someone who played drums, Dan's A/B tests it was the cymbals and high hat tones that sold me on the MK2, was listening to it on the HD800, but the relative difference was worth something to me.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #1,197 of 1,203

Been testing two tracks:

Mojo2+MMk2

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #1,198 of 1,203

Been testing two tracks:

If you use mostly pcm audio (as most do) for portable version of the type of sound you prefer I would advice you to try the HiBy FC6 (good r2r) in NOS mode.

For potential desktop upgrade the Ladder Schumann (excellent r2r) in NOS mode.

If your music isn't pcm but dsd don't use r2r with their bypass implementations, try Tanchjim Space. Only for dsd though - pcm through such a delta-sigma dac will have different sound signature compared to the one you described as preferred.

P.S. You cannot evaluate actual iem qualities based on Dan's mic recording all of them, then YouTube compressing that recording and finally listening to all through the very same drivers. It gives a limited comparative perspective but it is far from revealing actual sound, keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #1,199 of 1,203
Mojo2+MMk2
Looks like I have no options other than getting a Mojo2 at this point in my journey. Will order it today/tomorrow.

excellent r2r
Definitely see a flagship desktop R2R in the near future. I think the space one you mentioned may be near the Dawn pro territory. I'll try the mojo 2 and see for myself if the hype is real.

It gives a limited comparative perspective but it is far from revealing actual sound, keep that in mind.
Yes, I agree, limited comparative was better than nothing. I've had to do this for a decade with guitar gear, I know the pitfalls.

Thanks folks, looking forward to the mojo 2.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #1,200 of 1,203

Users who are viewing this thread

Back