ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Apr 13, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #601 of 1,203
I got the v16 yesterday. I also have mkii and z1r. I'll do a comparison later.

Apr 13, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #603 of 1,203
And im also interested in the fit on the ier-z1r vs the Monarch. The MMk2 fits me very well but is on the edge of being uncomfortable. I have medium/larger ears and mainly use L sized tips. With the MMk2 im using M sized Azla Ear Fit.
Some people posted that the Sonys fit them better than the MMk2, very curious.

Apr 13, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #604 of 1,203
And im also interested in the fit on the ier-z1r vs the Monarch. The MMk2 fits me very well but is on the edge of being uncomfortable. I have medium/larger ears and mainly use L sized tips. With the MMk2 im using M sized Azla Ear Fit.
For whatever it's worth, I's say I have medium ears, and the MMk2 is a better fit for me than the z1r. For me the z1r is bulky and it fits but is just kind of awkward. The MMk2 is perfect in one ear, and in the other a little snug but also pretty perfect (though I could see it feeling a little sore after an hour or so, not sure). In any case I feel like the MMk2 stays in place and basically fits very well. I also like the sound of the MMk2 a whole lot more but that's another story.

Apr 13, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #605 of 1,203
V16 vs monarch mkii. Monarch is a tri-brid while v16 is all BA. I've never been an all BA fan, but this is a good set. Monarch comes off more well rounded. It's a bit rounder/wetter with more splash and energy in the treble, and a bit fuller bass. The v16 bass sounds a bit duller by comparison, even if it is bassier. It's slightly blunted vs monarch. Monarch is also more mid focused while V16 feels more recessed by comparison in the mids. Between the 2, I prefer the monarch though the v16 is certainly very good. In terms of drivability, using my SHanling m7 on medium, I have monarch at 28 volume and v16 at 18, so very easy to drive.

Comparing v16 to z1r, volume pops back up to 30. Treble feels a little splashier. Bass feels about the same in terms of prominence on z1r. Resolution feels pretty similar. Needs further testing, but I like them about equally, but z1r is still
"wetter" than v16. Not certain I will keep v16 yet. Really curious about Prestige but there is not a lot of info available.

Comparing Mmkii, mmkii definitely has more treble energy than z1r. More mid focused, less bass. It has sub bass impact ultimately, but it the least bassy of the 3, and the most treble-centric of the 3. It's not the Xenns Up with that upper treble bump (I actually love the Xenns treble; wish I had kept them). Stage is pretty similar, but I think mmkii has better separation and a fuller mid section. z1r bass can bleed in and overwhelm the overall sound. Doesn't bother me as I love my bass, but some won't love that. Mmkkii is my preferred iem at this point.

Between the 3, I prefer mmkii for its holographic stage and separation. Pairs super well with Ibasso dx320, which also has a crazy holographic stage. It's almost too holographic/3D, but I love it.

I decided to list the Z1R earlier this week. Asking $1100 shipped if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #606 of 1,203
For whatever it's worth, I's say I have medium ears, and the MMk2 is a better fit for me than the z1r. For me the z1r is bulky and it fits but is just kind of awkward. The MMk2 is perfect in one ear, and in the other a little snug but also pretty perfect (though I could see it feeling a little sore after an hour or so, not sure). In any case I feel like the MMk2 stays in place and basically fits very well. I also like the sound of the MMk2 a whole lot more but that's another story.
I think they are both kinds awkward. Fit wise, v16 fits me the best of the 3.

Apr 13, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #607 of 1,203
The Z1R is more comfy for me. 1/ the shell is smaller, strange in shape, with some edges, but smaller; 2/ I use a Fiio cable with interchangeable connectors that has supreme hooks; 3/ the nozzle is short, like MMk2's thickness but when I put the Moondrop"s sticky tips from the Chu (size S) they keep it firmly in.

Apr 13, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #608 of 1,203
Thank you guys very very much! You are all insanely helpful.
Ive decided to skip the ier-z1r, Mest 2 and couple others.
Will be aiming at a used u12t in a good price. Seems like i strongly agree with Crinacle's taste and praise the most what he praises. End of blank shooting :wink:

Apr 13, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #609 of 1,203
Will be aiming at a used u12t in a good price. Seems like i strongly agree with Crinacle's taste and praise the most what he praises. End of blank shooting :wink:
fyi crinacle ranks both the U12t and Z1R as S tier and personally owns the Z1R.

I own both the Monarch MKII and Z1R, and my U12ts are being delivered to me shortly. I will let you know my thoughts then. But given that I much prefer the Z1R to the Monarch I think our tastes are very different.

Apr 13, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #610 of 1,203
Wait, wait, you think Crinacle praises U12t more than Z1R!?

Apr 13, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #612 of 1,203
fyi crinacle ranks both the U12t and Z1R as S tier and personally owns the Z1R.

I own both the Monarch MKII and Z1R, and my U12ts are being delivered to me shortly. I will let you know my thoughts then. But given that I much prefer the Z1R to the Monarch I think our tastes are very different.
Yeah tastes seem to be a decisive factor here. Will wait for your impressions!

Apr 13, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #613 of 1,203
If someone feels like the bass on the Monarchs is too weak for him, i encourage you to try them with the Dethonray Pegasus Gold. It reaches almost basshead levels. Its super deep and rumbling, i almost feel it in a chest. Dont know why but this combo is purely fantastic. The level of dynamics and power which are delivered to the MMk2 through this source really wake them up.
Also a slight analytical nature of the MMk2 is mixed with a very musical and warmish nature of the Gold.

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #615 of 1,203
Well, he doesn't have 2 special videos for U12t! Neither one.
Well Zeos claimed the Kinera Nanna 2 the best iems he has ever heard. Meanwhile he dedicated to Monarch half of a video. Does it mean that the Nannas are better? They are inferior to the MMk2 in every possible way (ive had them and returned after 2 days).
Crinacle loves the ier-z1r the most but he puts the u12t slightly higher in his ranking, because they are slightly better in his objective scale. Thats my guess at least.
If i sell the MMk2 and buy the Mest 2 for example, i will never say that the Monarchs are now inferior to the Mests. I can just pick something because it simply gives more fun :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back