ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Apr 9, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #587 of 1,203
Anyone have a right angle 4.4 cable they can recommend? Thinking about Dunu Hulk mini, but would prefer black (and less expensive)

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #588 of 1,203
Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #589 of 1,203
Apr 9, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #590 of 1,203
Anyone have a right angle 4.4 cable they can recommend? Thinking about Dunu Hulk mini, but would prefer black (and less expensive)
dunu s2

Apr 12, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #592 of 1,203
New member of the club...

20230413_131133.jpg

Tried these out of curiosity against a number of higher priced IEM's.

While I had the $$$ spare there was nothing these could not cover with ease.

I was worried initially about the fit but luckily these fit me like a glove. Snug as a bug...

Really impressed!!

20230413_131346.jpg

Apr 13, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #593 of 1,203
New member of the club...

Tried these out of curiosity against a number of higher priced IEM's.

While I had the $$$ spare there was nothing these could not cover with ease.

I was worried initially about the fit but luckily these fit me like a glove. Snug as a bug...

Really impressed!!

Agree, these are still the best ive heard so far, including some high end full sized. Im angry at the same time because these completely destroyed my future audio journey.
The problem i have is that i dont even like the MMk2 that much as they lack some fun factor for me but everything else sounds just off compared to them IMHO hah!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #594 of 1,203
Guys could someone please compare the MMk2 to the Sony ier-z1r?
I know that mids are better on the MMk2, its a blind statement but quite obvious. I also know that the bass is amazing on the z1r.
Im mainly curious about the treble response. There seem to be more forward treble on the z1r but are they smooth and non fatiguing?
I dont like the balance on the Mest 2 in this area, were the trebles are boosted in comparison to high mids which can give a sharp response, especially when listening on higher volumes, willing to bring the vocals more forward.
Is the z1r better than the Mest 2 here?

Apr 13, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #595 of 1,203
The problem i have is that i dont even like the MMk2 that much as they lack some fun factor for me but everything else sounds just off compared to them IMHO hah!
I have the same problem! Thought of selling them several times already, but they always pull me back.
I know that mids are better on the MMk2, its a blind statement but quite obvious. I also know that the bass is amazing on the z1r.
Im mainly curious about the treble response. There seem to be more forward treble on the z1r but are they smooth and non fatiguing?
I dont like the balance on the Mest 2 in this area, were the trebles are boosted in comparison to high mids which can give a sharp response, especially when listening on higher volumes, willing to bring the vocals more forward.
Can't comment on Z1R, but I can comment on mest 2. I was looking for fun IEM but mest 2 had too much treble in certain areas (i'm sensitive to treble). Problem gets exacerbated due to suppressed high-mids. Luckily I saw good listing on mest indigos and pulled the trigger. If you look at the FR graphs they are very similiar to mest mk2, but with less treble. Gotta say blind buy paid off. Good fit, very fun IEMs to listen to and they really spice up certain songs. Do note that they can sound a bit incoherent at times, especially if you are used to neutral gear like monarch mk2.

Apr 13, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #596 of 1,203
I have both and last night spent 3 hours with then, one after another.
So, Z1R has less treble. It is not less detailed and it has some sparkle (not to the level of MMk2) but mainly it is not that prominent. I believe that it is not only because of the balancing from the bass but because of no big peak b/n 10khz to 16khz.

Apr 13, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #597 of 1,203
I have the same problem! Thought of selling them several times already, but they always pull me back.

Can't comment on Z1R, but I can comment on mest 2. I was looking for fun IEM but mest 2 had too much treble in certain areas (i'm sensitive to treble). Problem gets exacerbated due to suppressed high-mids. Luckily I saw good listing on mest indigos and pulled the trigger. If you look at the FR graphs they are very similiar to mest mk2, but with less treble. Gotta say blind buy paid off. Good fit, very fun IEMs to listen to and they really spice up certain songs. Do note that they can sound a bit incoherent at times, especially if you are used to neutral gear like monarch mk2.

I have both and last night spent 3 hours with then, one after another.
So, Z1R has less treble. It is not less detailed and it has some sparkle (not to the level of MMk2) but mainly it is not that prominent. I believe that it is not only because of the balancing from the bass but because of no big peak b/n 10khz to 16khz.
Thank you guys!
In my post by MMk2 i meant the Monarch of course.
I compared the MMk2-Monarch to the Mest 2 and i felt this inbalance on the Mest between upper mids and trebles and it caused sharpness at times. No such problems on the MMk2.
But was very curious about the z1r as graphs show even slightly more boosted trebles when compared to the Mest 2. This is my main concern because im thinking of getting the z1r as a compliementary, fun pair for the Monarchs.

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #598 of 1,203
Thank you guys!
In my post by MMk2 i meant the Monarch of course.
I compared the MMk2-Monarch to the Mest 2 and i felt this inbalance on the Mest between upper mids and trebles and it caused sharpness at times. No such problems on the MMk2.
But was very curious about the z1r as graphs show even slightly more boosted trebles when compared to the Mest 2. This is my main concern because im thinking of getting the z1r as a compliementary, fun pair for the Monarchs.
I do recommend Z1R like one of the best for fun:
1/ you will not get better bass - quantity, quality, texture, attack, decay - all is supremely matching;
2/ stage and layering - if you have a good source vocals are not pulled back that much as many say - they are just on a stage that is in a hall and not in front of your face;
3/ stage is so wide and deep that they are better than some open-backs (let me not quote the Senn models :wink: )

Mest an Mest 2 are also fun but they are fun and fun, while Z1R despite the specifics of their replay have lots of fidelity.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #599 of 1,203

I would definitely audition the Z1R and gave a few different tips available when you do.

I use mine with xelastec extra small and I find both the bass and treble to be more enjoyable on them than the mmk2. I'll re listen with a few tracks in particular and give a more detailed reply if the treble response.

Apr 13, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #600 of 1,203
@RIGATIO

if there are any particular tracks I can a/b and give you me impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back