ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jul 2, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #781 of 1,778
So I tried the switches in the double up position as opposed to down down. I must agree that this is also a pleasant combo. I have not really formed a true opinion of up up vs down down. I will say that the up up combo was very pleasing to the ear with acoustic rock and prog; but that is all I was playing last night. Yes Fragile on Amazon HD (ultra HD; sounded to me like the most updated mastering) and a new streaming service only 50th anniversary release of Workingman's Dead working tapes by the Grateful Dead. The latter is fairly acoustic and had a terrific "you are there" feeling to the whole effort.

Say, does anybody remember where in this thread the graphs are that show up up and down down? I want to take a look. This might help me figure out what sound signatures to look for in the future. Though I may just stand pat for now. I now how two IEMs I really like (the other is the FLC8D). I imagine there are many more I might like (and even more I would not) but two winners is pretty good. For that matter, I have a bunch of others lying around that are darned good but not quite as good as my favorites (guess that is why they are favorites....).

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #782 of 1,778
I should update my opinions on the switches with the L3. I now like both (0,0) and (1,1) equally, but the 1,1 position is even more ear tip dependent to me. I really like the 1,1 position in particular with the ePro horn tips and the SpinFit CP145 tips. Those tips make the sound very lively and percussive, treble is very clear and extended, and bass is deep and focused. The up,up switch position boosts the midrange broadly, from the upper bass to the upper midrange frequencies. This lends greater midrange clarity, and after listening with these setting a lot more, with the above mentioned ear tips, I do think it does actually increase midrange micro detail a little, not just tuning-based clarity.

To me, the switches are counter-intuitive. I would think that the first switch boosts the bass and the second switch boosts the treble. In reality, though, both switches down has a more U-shaped sound (relatively), and with both switches up, it‘s more neutral (again, relatively). When looking at graphs, by flipping both switches up, I think the mids are boosted very slightly, while the sub bass and treble are decreased very slightly, but the cumulative effect is a boost in mids.

I haven't spent much time listening with only one of the switches up (0,1 or 1,0), but with what limited listening I did, I found the 1,0 position just kind of wonky, and found the 0,1 position to be a bit shouty in the upper midrange.

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #783 of 1,778
I'm in total agreement with you! Some seem to think they can't bother to find the best tips for them, others think an IEM should only be reviewed/listened to with the stock tips even.
Getting the right tip (seal) is absolutely essential in my thinking (hearing) as well.
This happens all the time IMO. Inexperienced people get caught up in the hype and spend "big" bucks on their first proper IEM without understanding what a proper seal is or feels/sounds like. They think all that's needed is to spend the money and they're guaranteed mind-blowing audio quality. 4 out of 5 times with new IEMs the first thing I do is go to my eartips box because I know the included ones are all too small for my ears.

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #784 of 1,778
This happens all the time IMO. Inexperienced people get caught up in the hype and spend "big" bucks on their first proper IEM without understanding what a proper seal is or feels/sounds like. They think all that's needed is to spend the money and they're guaranteed mind-blowing audio quality. 4 out of 5 times with new IEMs the first thing I do is go to my eartips box because I know the included ones are all too small for my ears.

This happened to me. My first mistake was to aim at the most expensive one in KZ brand naming KZ BA10 without considering the shape of the earpiece itself and the harsh treble it produces. As a newbie, who started from sony products, I became complacent that all earphones are one size fits all.

Jul 2, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #785 of 1,778
It‘s not ideal but, a reviewer can opt to be a “purist” who reviews an IEM only with the included accessories (ear tips, cable, etc). If a reviewer chooses to do so, they need to state it explicitly though, and ideally should also comment on other ”reports” whether that particular IEM has been viewed as particular ear tip dependent, etc. You also can’t have a detailed review without mentioning the source and the music listened to. If you don’t believe in burn-in or even breaking-in dynamic drivers, it should be known as well. The problem is reviews that are misleading, perhaps even intentionally so, because of what is NOT stated. I can make the greatest IEM ever created sound terrible by surrounding it with terrible gear. Likewise, I can make a very average IEM sound quite good with unrealistic pairings, or even EQ tweaks.

Whether this is actually true or not, the point still holds. There is a well known speaker/audio manufacturer that had a HT in-a-box solution, and they built it it’s own dedicated demo rooms. I remember it being impressive. Of course the size and shape of the room, as well as the room treatments, etc. were all engineered to make the system sound very good. There were reports of some people glancing behind cabinets and seeing hidden TOTL equipment, such as Krell amplifiers, running the system, while the little head unit was prominently on display. The more I thought of it, it was a well choreographed, programmed, demo, just like an automated show at Disney World would be. I didn’t actually see the store employee walk in with a DVD, stick it in the head unit, and press play. If I were to write a review on those speakers, based on that experience, if I didn’t mention all of the surrounding information, it would be essentially completely false.

How often is lack of information equivalent to false information? Sorry, this really wasn’t supposed to be a soap box post. Also, I really don’t expect us average members to go into detail about every facet of the equipment used when posting impressions on a product. These comments are for professional reviewers that have a stake in the game.

Jul 2, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #786 of 1,778
It‘s not ideal but, a reviewer can opt to be a “purist” who reviews an IEM only with the included accessories (ear tips, cable, etc). If a reviewer chooses to do so, they need to state it explicitly though, and ideally should also comment on other ”reports” whether that particular IEM has been viewed as particular ear tip dependent, etc. You also can’t have a detailed review without mentioning the source and the music listened to. If you don’t believe in burn-in or even breaking-in dynamic drivers, it should be known as well. The problem is reviews that are misleading, perhaps even intentionally so, because of what is NOT stated. I can make the greatest IEM ever created sound terrible by surrounding it with terrible gear. Likewise, I can make a very average IEM sound quite good with unrealistic pairings, or even EQ tweaks.

Whether this is actually true or not, the point still holds. There is a well known speaker/audio manufacturer that had a HT in-a-box solution, and they built it it’s own dedicated demo rooms. I remember it being impressive. Of course the size and shape of the room, as well as the room treatments, etc. were all engineered to make the system sound very good. There were reports of some people glancing behind cabinets and seeing hidden TOTL equipment, such as Krell amplifiers, running the system, while the little head unit was prominently on display. The more I thought of it, it was a well choreographed, programmed, demo, just like an automated show at Disney World would be. I didn’t actually see the store employee walk in with a DVD, stick it in the head unit, and press play. If I were to write a review on those speakers, based on that experience, if I didn’t mention all of the surrounding information, it would be essentially completely false.

How often is lack of information equivalent to false information? Sorry, this really wasn’t supposed to be a soap box post. Also, I really don’t expect us average members to go into detail about every facet of the equipment used when posting impressions on a product. These comments are for professional reviewers that have a stake in the game.
I actually really miss the signatures on this forum where people listed their gear and it was plainly visible below their posts. Now you have to kind of dig to see these and I think fewer people are doing it. I think it's very important what gear someone is using for how much faith I have in their opinions. We're all biased in some manner regardless, but it's good to have that frame of reference to know they're general approach.

For me. I listen to almost all of my gear, balanced on my HIBY R6 Pro and think that DAP gives me the best balance of sound quality, software and EQ/DSP abilities that I could need (currently at least). But posting all that with and my random views on burn in, cables, etc in each review or post about a product is information overload for a lot.

Jul 2, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #787 of 1,778
Got my custom L3 today
20200702_180234.jpg

I like really like them a lot (I love bass:)). They are different than the TSMR 3 I have. Different in a good way and I don't feel it makes the TSMR obsolete. I'm not going to go into detail because I also got the drop panda headphones this week and they are miles better than anything I've heard so it's hard to do a fair review of the L3 right now. Maybe when I can set a few days to just listen to the L3 I'll give my impression.

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #788 of 1,778
Got my custom L3 today20200702_180234.jpg
I like really like them a lot (I love bass:)). They are different than the TSMR 3 I have. Different in a good way and I don't feel it makes the TSMR obsolete. I'm not going to go into detail because I also got the drop panda headphones this week and they are miles better than anything I've heard so it's hard to do a fair review of the L3 right now. Maybe when I can set a few days to just listen to the L3 I'll give my impression.
Woah that looks beautiful and is that a normal female 2 pin?

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #789 of 1,778
Got my custom L3 today
I'm jelly and at the same time I feel like I need this color combo.

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #790 of 1,778

Well said! i buy most of my iems blind. 95% of the time I have to rely on reviews from reviewers I respect and seemingly have the same taste in music and hear music similar to what I hear. Luckily I have enough iems where I can tip roll. The legacy 3 are a perfect example. Without the right tips they can sound weak and tinny. With the right tips they can sound balanced and just right. Another problem is unit variation. Which is very common.. In fact even a giant manafacturer like apple will use expensive Samsung displays on some of their products or cheaper displays from LG or Sony. I had to pair of Blon 03s. The first pair I bought sounded neutral with a linear tuning. I couldn't believe the second pair sounded much more bassy and v shaped... Anyway the point I'm getting at is this a very expensive and risky business. Reviewers have an obligation to give as much info as possible... They are the lifeblood of all amateur audiophiles like myself.

Jul 3, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #792 of 1,778
Anyone who has Audiosense t800? Is it a good upgrade from legacy 3?Thanks
The T800 is definitely on my radar as my next IEM purchase.

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #794 of 1,778
Anyone who has Audiosense t800? Is it a good upgrade from legacy 3?Thanks

The Audiosense T800 is on another level than the ThieAudio Legacy 3. (In my opinion)
I've had the ThieAudio Legacy 3 for a week, and gave it away to a friend. There is no reason to get the L3 if you already own the T800, and if you own the L3, the T800 will be a huge upgrade.

However keep in mind that the T800 is VERY source dependant, and it's almost certain that you will need to buy knowles filters/dampers to use along side the T800.

If i had to sum it up:
The ThieAudio Legacy 3 isn't that good, but it's rather convenient, just "plug and play".
The Audiosense T800 really needs the proper gear/filters, but once you have it setup properly, the L3, doesn't even come close to it.

Just my opinion!

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #795 of 1,778
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but you guys are a great group to get some help from...
My wife has tiny ears and basically can't wear ANY of my iems, including L3. She loves music like me, and I've been searching for awhile for some buds for her. She's not an audiophile, but think she could appreciate good sound if it'd fit her ear (she loves good percussion, bass, and her father was a musician-drummer-which she was taught and always noticed drumming most in music). Seriously, her ears are TINY. The outer pinna and the canal. To the point that she had to have tubes in her ears as a young child. Any suggestions? I just recently saw the Final Audio E1000 (and 2/3000) and thought maybe something along that line might possibly go in her ears (with the smallest tips on them). Anyone have any experience with those or know of something else that small that might still sound decent?
Thanks guys for any help or direction!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back