ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jun 29, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #766 of 1,778
I can definitely tell the difference between Spotify in comparison to Tidal or Quboz. In terms of resolution. But the differences are minute. My girlfriend prefers Spotify. Think it sounds way better than either of them. All a matter of opinion...
I'm a dj. When I listen to mp3 vs Wavs I can tell the difference when listening on my laptop. In a nightclub, it's not so night and day and to be honest you would have to be listening really carefully to hear the difference. Which defeats the purpose of going out to party !

Jun 29, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #767 of 1,778
Absolutely. The quality of the original recording and the mastering is more important. Which is one reason I think people like vinyl, because the mastering to the lacquer was better than the mastering to some of the early CDs. Some recordings just sound like crap on my studio system, whether they are straight from a CD or a ripped mp3. Which is why I think iems like blon03 are so loved, they impart a more forgiving toning with the added mid-bass warmth, and don't have the resolution needed to hear imperfections or compression as well.
100%. The Blons sound like listening to vinyl. The warm analogue sound is addictive. A lot of djs hate digitized sound and refuse to play cds or usbs. I love the blog 03. I don't find the bass muddy, it's just very warm and velvety to my ears. The slightly slow decay gives off a great tonality when listening to drum and bass, jazz or dub music. Probably not ideal for rock or anything where you need fast transient response but for what I listen they are special

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #768 of 1,778
Absolutely. The quality of the original recording and the mastering is more important.

+1

I think that music recorded as bad/flat/post-processed will sound accordingly regardless of file format/quality one listens to.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 29, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #770 of 1,778
@Tristan88 If you're planning on getting the LG G8 don't hesitate. It's a great device. My experience was great. Oddly enough the background in six of the five songs was more present, only song that had me scratching my head was Ways To Go by Group Love. On my V35 theres bass, but in this song on the G8 seems like the bass effects the detail. There's a bubble noise that is louder on the V35 than the G8. I think it's because the bass added on the G8. All of this might be a placebo, because I was expecting an improvement. I couldn't have both side by side to compare, because I only own one micro SD. If I had two micro SDs probably it would've been another story. Here's some interesting links.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-measurement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/

https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-quad-dac-1115577/

I'm sure stand alone DAPs are better, but the G8 is a bargain of function for the price. I found it to be extremely snappy too.

Edit: What I mean by background noise isn't noise outside of the buds. The G8 seems to have a different tuning even though it is the same dac. Again might be placebo.

Attachments

• 20200629_172801.jpg
    20200629_172801.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #771 of 1,778
I still think the LG v-series have the best audio for a phone period. My v20 was getting old, and I got a great deal on a used Note9, which is a good phone and I like having a stylus, but the audio SQ is nowhere near the LG. I didn't get the dx160 until I stopped using the v20 as a phone. The LG phones are great DAPs if you don't want/afford/need a standalone music player.
Back to L3... Something I didn't think of much before, but I'm loving the lighter and more comfortable (plastic) housing vs the metal buds. Lighter, and they don't take on the cold temps or static issues as well. Plus I don't worry about them clanging together. Seems trivial I know, but it is nice. :wink:
Still enjoying the sound, most importantly. 😁

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #772 of 1,778
I still think the LG v-series have the best audio for a phone period. My v20 was getting old, and a I got a great deal on a used Note9, which is a good phone and I like having a stylus, but the audio SQ is nowhere near the LG. I didn't get the dx160 until I stopped using the v20 as a phone. It's a great DAP if you don't want/afford/need a standalone music player.
Back to L3... Something I didn't think of much before, but I'm loving the lighter and more comfortable (plastic) housing vs the metal buds. Lighter, and they don't take on the cold Temps or static issues as well. Plus I don't worry about them clanging together. Seems trivial, I know but it is nice. :wink:

I am in love with the L3's fitment. The first few weeks I hated the fitment, but now that I know which size tips I am it feels like a ciem. That's why I'm not interested in buying ciems. Love the fitment.

Jun 29, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #773 of 1,778
After 2 weeks of listening to the L3, I've settled with kz starline tips, silver plated 8-wire cable 4.4 mm, and ZX300. Started with the sedna light tips but sound didn't capture me. The deeper seal of the starline tips brought the bass right into focus while allowing a fuller more engaging sound. I've been shuffling my collection for the past 2 days and its been a blast. L3 is very easy to sink into the music.

Tried the L3 with one switch up then both. The treble was too sharp for my taste. Both switches down gave a better balance.

I see this Nano-Membrane dynamic driver is the same the L9 uses. This bass is clean and deep with controlled rumble. The bass just matches so well with the signature here. L3 is the type of iem I can turn up and enjoy because it still stays composed. Bravo for making L3 play as one united sound.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #774 of 1,778
Hi guys, for those of you that live in US and are interested in buying the L3, I have a pair of Mystique for sale. Thank you!

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #775 of 1,778
Hi,

I kind of want to conduct an experiment with Legacy 3 users because I found variance between my first set which had channel imbalance and my new set. I bought one with serial ID 317 that had channel mismatch. One had a huge dip after 3K as shown in orange line below. 13dB dip in that range. The other channel didnt but had elevated bass. Then I got a replacement sent that looks like the red line and sounds a lot better, in my opinion. The new serial is 413. When I looked at hawaiibadboy's review graph his looked like the orange graph pretty closely, while if I looked at Crinacle's, it looked closer to the red line -- like my new set.

I then asked @Precogvision to perform a test tone listen at 3K and 4K because he didn't like the tuning of his and he said there was a big difference in volume between going from 3K and 4K -- 4K is quieter, which potentially could line up with the orange graph (my old set). His serial ID on the loaner he has is 285. I also asked @Titienne to do this test and his serial is 541 and he did not experience a noticeable volume change between the two test tones.

So, it would be interesting to hear from people if they can hear a difference between playing two test tones at 3K and 4KHz, and how you describe the tuning in general. :)

Here are two YT vids of test tones -- make sure you turn volume down first and then turn it up to something comfortable.

3K Test Tone

4K Test Tone

and/or try these two sets of video test tones:

Mine finally arrived after waiting around 3 months. My serial number is 20.

Fit and isolation is quite good for me.

Tested above tones and volume is about equal.

Overall signature is little darker than I expected as treble feels little muted coming from non-stop listening of the NF Audio NA2 last few days. (Blessing 2 before that) Also L3 sounds bit coloured.

I think L3 will be good genre specific IEM for me.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #778 of 1,778
Would anyone have comparative thoughts between the L3 and Shozy 1.4 by any chance?
Complete
I still think the LG v-series have the best audio for a phone period. My v20 was getting old, and I got a great deal on a used Note9, which is a good phone and I like having a stylus, but the audio SQ is nowhere near the LG. I didn't get the dx160 until I stopped using the v20 as a phone. The LG phones are great DAPs if you don't want/afford/need a standalone music player.
Back to L3... Something I didn't think of much before, but I'm loving the lighter and more comfortable (plastic) housing vs the metal buds. Lighter, and they don't take on the cold temps or static issues as well. Plus I don't worry about them clanging together. Seems trivial I know, but it is nice. :wink:
I have the note 10. When paired with dragonfly red they sound really good when I'm on the road. As good as a lower tier DAP

Jul 1, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #780 of 1,778
Got my L3 yesterday and today when using them both sides have driver flex, should I be worried? they're totally fine yesterday
I can only comment on my experiences, but it seems that some days the driver flex is quite noticeable, but other times, there is none. My habits tend to cause a lot of driver flex though. Many others have commented that they haven’t noticed driver flex with theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back