ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jul 4, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #811 of 1,778
Unfortunately, I don’t have the UF yet. I ordered it directly from Linsoul with a gift card. Seeing as Amazon actually has it in stock right now, you’ll almost certainly get it before I do. I think you made the right choice, b/c if you don’t love it, it’s an easy return since it’s fulfilled by Amazon. The BL03 is $12 more on Amazon vs directly from Linsoul with free shipping. It’s impressive that there is no increase in price for the UF on Amazon.
I ask you because I love my L3's but I am use to the sound. I wanted something with better mids. Hopefully YBF-ISS014 is what I was looking for.

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #812 of 1,778
I ask you because I love my L3's but I am use to the sound. I wanted something with better mids. Hopefully YBF-ISS014 is what I was looking for.
If it’s specifically midrange that you’re after, one of my favorites is still the Tin T2, though it is not a very detailed IEM technically. The new T2 Plus hopefully has better technicalities than the original T2, and the tuning looks like it has great sounding mids as well.

The UF seems to be more famous for its bass and treble, though I haven’t read negative reports on the midrange. I think @Slater will be able to answer this question really well. He can even differentiate between the sound of the beryllium and the noble metal drivers.

Edit: It does seem that opinions on the UF are quite scattered though. Maybe due to significant unit variation with poor QC?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #813 of 1,778
If it’s specifically midrange that you’re after, one of my favorites is still the Tin T2, though it is not a very detailed IEM technically. The new T2 Plus hopefully has better technicalities than the original T2, and the tuning looks like it has great sounding mids as well.

The UF seems to be more famous for its bass and treble, though I haven’t read negative reports on the midrange. I think @Slater will be able to answer this question really well. He can even differentiate between the sound of the beryllium and the noble metal drivers.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/urbanfun-ybf-iss014.24066/reviews

Found my answer. Thank you.

Jul 4, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #814 of 1,778
I have the Urbanfun and Blon03, (and blon05 as of 2 days ago). Like L3 over all of them, by a good margin.
The Urbanfun is definitely punchy with good bass (better sub than blon03 and not as bloomy with the mid bass), and while not lacking in mids or treble, I just found it a bit grainy sounding. It's a better fit than 03, as is 05. In fact 05 fits great, is very comfortable, but does not have the 03s magic sauce. Bass is less and more controlled, but lower highs are kind of harsh to me. It's a shame, as I would've liked the midbass of 03 tamed a bit, but would've rather kept the 03 tuning with the new shell that does have less fit issues. I don't think either the 03, 05, or urbanfun are bad for their price though, but find L3 a good bit more of a mature tuning. There is more resolution but also a smoothness that is better developed. Mids are absolutely the best on L3 to my ears...
There are QC issues talked about with urbanfun, but mine seem fine in terms of build, just lack the tuning that I feel L3 has.

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #815 of 1,778
I have the Urbanfun and Blon03, (and blon05 as of 2 days ago). Like L3 over all of them, by a good margin.
The Urbanfun is definitely punchy with good bass (better sub than blon03 and not as bloomy with the mid bass), and while not lacking in mids or treble, I just found it a bit grainy sounding. It's a better fit than 03, as is 05. In fact 05 fits great, is very comfortable, but does not have the 03s magic sauce. Bass is less and more controlled, but lower highs are kind of harsh to me. It's a shame, as I would've liked the midbass of 03 tamed a bit, but would've rather kept the 03 tuning with the new shell that does have less fit issues. I don't think either the 03, 05, or urbanfun are bad for their price though, but find L3 a good bit more of a mature tuning. There is more resolution but also a smoothness that is better developed. Mids are absolutely the best on L3 to my ears...
There are QC issues talked about with urbanfun, but mine seem fine in terms of build, just lack the tuning that I feel L3 has.
I'm considering on canceling my order. I love my L3's but want a different more boomy with good vocals sound signature. I own the TFZ T2's but find them to be too warm in the bass department. If the TFZ T2's fit as good as my L3's; I wouldn't be looking for another tune. After getting the L3's I hate the fit of my TFZ T2's.

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-07-04-20-58-50.png
    Capture+_2020-07-04-20-58-50.png
    822.4 KB · Views: 0
Jul 4, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #816 of 1,778
I have smallish ears and I cant stand wearing the Final E-series. The bores with tips on them just dont stay in my ear. The only IEM of that type that fits well is the Etymotic series of IEMs, but they are deeper fit. That said, you get used to it, and they are still, outstanding performers for their price. I still highly recommend them as very few IEMs sound as clean, detailed and capable as they do. Their only drawback of course is their style of fit, and perhaps if you are a basshead.

Otherwise, the Dunu series are quite small and fit nicely to me.
Thanks.. Still trying to figure out what could work for her. Will look at a few of these options. Her outer ear is tiny, seriously like a child, but her ear canal is also so tiny not sure she can wear any actual In-Ears.
May try a final audio (from Amazon) just to see if it would even fit.

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #817 of 1,778
I'm considering on canceling my order. I love my L3's but want a different more boomy with good vocals sound signature. I own the TFZ T2's but find them to be too warm in the bass department. If the TFZ T2's fit as good as my L3's; I wouldn't be looking for another tune. After getting the L3's I hate the fit of my TFZ T2's.
Yeah, dont want to say urbanfun is bad, but definitely think mids are better on L3.
There was talk of the different beryllium driver in the first productions, so maybe it sounded different/better than later version I have, just can't say. At least with Amazon you could send it back. Got mine several months ago from Linsoul.
I stopped listening to blon03 after getting urbanfun, mostly for better fit, but honestly still think the bl03 have something special with the smooth warm sound, despite the mid bass bleed and lack of technicalites. The L3 to me are a lot better with resolution and the FR tuning, but still share some of the smoothness of blon03...which is why I love them a lot. So many iems to me have a graininess that I hear, sorry but can't really explain it in terms better than grainy vs smoothness.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #818 of 1,778
My urbanfuns do not sound grainy in the slightest. To be honest I have the fh7 and the urbanfun i have is the only budget iem i have that run it very close. While i am a fan of the legacy, i do prefer the urbans a lot more

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #819 of 1,778
My urbanfuns do not sound grainy in the slightest. To be honest I have the fh7 and the urbanfun i have is the only budget iem i have that run it very close. While i am a fan of the legacy, i do prefer the urbans a lot more
Yesterday I cancelled my order, the urban's seem like a luck game, and also I don't think I'll like the fit. If I knew they'll be as tight of a fit as my L3's I'll jump on them in a heart beat again. For my birthday I'll probably buy myself a pair of FH5's. I'm also getting myself a LG V60.

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #820 of 1,778
Yesterday I cancelled my order, the urban's seem like a luck game, and also I don't think I'll like the fit. If I knew they'll be as tight of a fit as my L3's I'll jump on them in a heart beat again. For my birthday I'll probably buy myself a pair of FH5's. I'm also getting myself a LG V60.
Well, the FH5s are a safe bet. I’m sure you’ll really like them.

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #821 of 1,778
I bought my LG v60 half expecting that I would not being using it as my main phone and as a streaming dap. I thought I wouldn't be able to leave my 90hz phones behind for long.

Didn't happen. The lg v60 is their best phone to date and the screen feels really fast. I think they beefed up the input latency ala iPhone. I can still tell it's 60hz but it feels much faster than my note 10.

**edit: one thing I'm doing differently this time around is using the system eq with my Bluetooth earphones.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #822 of 1,778
If you want something with even more delicious bass and more coherent sound-stage with forward vocals - Hidiz MS4 is my all-time favorite, albeit it's rather large & heavy. But IMHO L3 outperforms both! Only FH7 can be considered an upgrade to L3 (or L9).
I didn't know Thieaudio was a Linsoul company. Bravo Linsoul :clap:. For my endgame TOTL - I'll be watching it...

Jul 5, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #823 of 1,778
If you want something with even more delicious bass and more coherent sound-stage with forward vocals - Hidiz MS4 is my all-time favorite, albeit it's rather large & heavy. But IMHO L3 outperforms both! Only FH7 can be considered an upgrade to L3 (or L9).
I didn't know Thieaudio was a Linsoul company. Bravo Linsoul :clap:. For my endgame TOTL - I'll be watching it...

It is hard to find something that out prefroms the L3's. I hope whatever I decide to get fits as good as the L3's. I do want to upgrade though so I'll consider the FH7.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #824 of 1,778
I don’t have either, but it was my understanding that the FH5 and FH7 are two different flavors. While the FH7 is technically superior, some may prefer the sound of the FH5, with it’s higher quantity of bass. Is this accurate? I really haven’t read where fit has been an issue with either, since they have the custom-universal shape. The FH7 does have that huge beryllium DD though.

Jul 5, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #825 of 1,778
I don’t have either, but it was my understanding that the FH5 and FH7 are two different flavors. While the FH7 is technically superior, some may prefer the sound of the FH5, with it’s higher quantity of bass. Is this accurate? I really haven’t read where fit has been an issue with either, since they have the custom-universal shape. The FH7 does have that huge beryllium DD though.
Oh, yes, you're correct. FH7 is very different sound, in fact L9 looks like logical upgrade path. For me that's going to be Monarch probably...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back