ThieAudio Legacy 9
Apr 10, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #106 of 689
Same question I would've loved to ask. Plus how does its resolution compared with fearless audio s8pro and s8z?

A comparison between the ThieAudio V14 vs L9 vs L3 vs Fearless S8Z is what I would really like to see. These are the sets that I’m most interested in right now. Was thinking of eventually getting one hybrid and one all-BA IEM with OCD detail.

Apr 11, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #107 of 689
When did everyone order and get the L9? I ordered it on March 30th, but it is still being customized. It's too hard to wait.

Apr 11, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #108 of 689
When did everyone order and get the L9? I ordered it on March 30th, but it is still being customized. It's too hard to wait.
I ordered mine on March 27th. The only people who have received them are the ones who opted for resin instead of wood I believe. If you ordered wood shells it may be a bit longer to wait, but hopefully worth it!

Apr 11, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #110 of 689
Rolling out new products like this can be exciting, but also frustrating for a lot of people. The uncertainty drives us crazy. I think higher end ChiFi IEMs should be given a hard start date, when they can have a good stock, at least for their typical designs.

Apr 11, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #111 of 689
Rolling out new products like this can be exciting, but also frustrating for a lot of people. The uncertainty drives us crazy. I think higher end ChiFi IEMs should be given a hard start date, when they can have a good stock, at least for their typical designs.

Supply chains have been under stress since end of February because of the virus and still are. Other iem companies like 64 Audio have completely stopped their production lines for at least a month. And then you get delivery delays because cargo planes are prioritising medical supplies (as they should). Delays are just part of the game these days unf.

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #112 of 689
I have the S8P and V14.
I think the V14 is a more refined S8P, especially with switchable tuning. V14 presents more details.
The S8P is a better deal though, especially preowned for under $400.

I have the S8F and I like it very much, I think it's incredibly fun, and I love the high bass compared to he S8P, but comparing to other DD IEMs I have, I sometimes miss the depth of the DD bass.

So I am thinking of Legacy 9 as my next option. Maybe am I wrong?

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #113 of 689
I have the S8F and I like it very much, I think it's incredibly fun, and I love the high bass compared to he S8P, but comparing to other DD IEMs I have, I sometimes miss the depth of the DD bass.

You are not wrong.
only BA bass that comes close to DD is from the 64audio U12t.

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #114 of 689
Supply chains have been under stress since end of February because of the virus and still are. Other iem companies like 64 Audio have completely stopped their production lines for at least a month. And then you get delivery delays because cargo planes are prioritising medical supplies (as they should). Delays are just part of the game these days unf.
Oh, certainly. That’s very true, especially now. Shipping delays are not under the manufacturer’s/seller’s control. I’m more thinking that in general it’s more impressive if they don’t hurry the launch, but rather have a mature product, with proper packaging, etc. At least for the non-budget items.

Apr 11, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #115 of 689

Good chance these would be what you are looking for base on the graph, extending mid bass from V14 to higher sub bass area.

You are not wrong.
only BA bass that comes close to DD is from the 64audio U12t.

You dont like the bass on V14? I find these to be the closest to DD bass from BA bass, just lacks the extended sub bass compared to what U12T does which elevates from 100hz to give more energy in the sub bass instead of mid bass.

And I am slight temped by these L3 day by day as well

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #116 of 689
Good chance these would be what you are looking for base on the graph, extending mid bass from V14 to higher sub bass area.

You dont like the bass on V14? I find these to be the closest to DD bass from BA bass, just lacks the extended sub bass compared to what U12T does which elevates from 100hz to give more energy in the sub bass instead of mid bass.
The bass is awesome on the v14. I just think the U12t does it better.

Apr 12, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #117 of 689
Today I did some cable rolling with the L9 and a few things came up:

- I don't find that stock cable brings the best out of the L9 DD. Although it seems to be a good quality cable, other copper cables have made bass a bit tighter and made the whole experience much better for me. I was worried yesterday that the bass would get loose and overwhelm everything, and I am happy to report it's not the case at all. I can listen to my whole library now with L9, not just EDM (it's still a cracking EDM performer). Note that received a 3.5mm cable by mistake. Things could be better with the 2.5mm version, I will report again when I receive it.

- Yes L9 does have 3d sound. Tested this with multiple tracks. This is again better with third party cables (for example the Fearless cable that came with Roland). L9 performs really well in this category, it even gets close to 64 Trio in that department, and that's a big compliment.

Tonight's session made me appreciate the L9 even more than yesterday. It's amazing to have this quality at such a (relatively) affordable price. The signature is very musical and smooth. Treble extension is really good without harshness. Vocals are clear and forward, and the bass is full and boomy. This is not an analytical iem but then it's not supposed to be.

I am obviously in honeymoon period but this is a truly exceptional iem. I am doing A/B with other high quality sets and there isn't one department where L9 is completely left out. ThieAudio have done it once more.
If you could help, I have 3 questions to really know if it's for me. Without comparing to others +$1000 iem sets, what can you tell me on:
1 - How is the tonality and timbre on this set?
2 - How fast is the attack and decay?
3 - And how is the imaging/instrument separation on very fast and congested instrumental tracks?

Technicality/clarity and tonality are very high factors in my list to seal the deal for me.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #118 of 689
If you could help, I have 3 questions to really know if it's for me. Without comparing to others +$1000 iem sets, what can you tell me on:
1 - How is the tonality and timbre on this set?
2 - How fast is the attack and decay?
3 - And how is the imaging/instrument separation in very fast and/or congested instrumental tracks?

Technicality/clarity and tonality are very high factors in my list to seal the deal for me.

I find tonality and timbre really good on this set. On par or close to anything out there. Bass is strong but with right cable/tips it can be reined in a bit and vocals come a bit more forward. I can listen to anything with L9 but where it truly shines is EDM.

The DD driver is not the fastest. Bass hit is strong and it lingers. It can't keep up with all BA sets like Anole or V14 on super fast tracks, but it's not really supposed to. I don't know how to measure "attack".

I find separation to be excellent while not being analytical level. This is not Anole or V14 level of technicality, it's closer to 64 Trio in that department. When it comes to imaging, one thing L9 does which I don't find Anole VX or V14 to do much of is the so called "3d" or "holographic" sound. You get this cool "sound sphere" effect on some tracks where bits of sound go off left and right in an alternate way. Not every iem can do that and so far only iems with "special" treble drivers (ST7, Roland, Trio) did it for me and for other people.

If you have specific tracks I can listen and compare, probably tomorrow.

Once again, L9 is a high quality set that was designed with impactful sub bass and slightly smoother signature in mind while preserving very good levels of treble, air and resolution. It's a very technical "fun" iem, but a fun iem nonetheless. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #119 of 689
I find tonality and timbre really good on this set. On par or close to anything out there. Bass is strong but with right cable/tips it can be reined in a bit and vocals come a bit more forward. I can listen to anything with L9 but where it truly shines is EDM.

The DD driver is not the fastest. Bass hit is strong and it lingers. It can't keep up with all BA sets like Anole or V14 on super fast tracks, but it's not really supposed to. I don't know how to measure "attack".

I find separation to be excellent while not being analytical level. This is not Anole or V14 level of technicality, it's closer to 64 Trio in that department. When it comes to imaging, one thing L9 does which I don't find Anole VX or V14 to do much of is the so called "3d" or "holographic" sound. You get this cool "sound sphere" effect on some tracks where bits of sound go off left and right in an alternate way. Not every iem can do that and so far only iems with "special" treble drivers (ST7, Roland, Trio) did it for me and for other people.

If you have specific tracks I can listen and compare, probably tomorrow.

Once again, L9 is a high quality set that was designed with impactful sub bass and slightly smoother signature in mind while preserving very good levels of treble, air and resolution. It's a very technical "fun" iem, but a fun iem nonetheless. Hope this helps.
Nice! Sounds like it’s a great pairing with a really good all BA set like the V14, Fearless S8, U12t, etc. I figured it would NOT be direct competition for the V14 like some who just purchased it had feared. It’s more complementary.

Apr 12, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #120 of 689
OOOOOoooooooooh! So pretty! Official spalted maple pics are out!

While I typically would like the blue/red combo, with these samples, I like the blue the best.

ThieAudio is just killin’ it!
49706C5C-FAAA-4B9D-A364-F047A031FC1E.jpeg
912844E8-1A49-4392-9836-A5DBAF5C9CAA.jpeg
FA3997C3-58AB-4805-8FE7-8DCB941A10CE.jpeg
F796569C-7116-4434-81FC-A0A171D3E479.jpeg
ABAF7ADD-0EF1-412D-851C-AF49E029E0B1.jpeg
A056298E-E0CC-42F3-9F9E-53E75ADE907B.jpeg
31B7C73A-2682-493B-A95E-4286EA5AD537.jpeg
EB358587-6C22-4D00-A4CB-4ABBE103756C.jpeg
329E45B4-D354-422A-A1AC-13C57C6DA478.jpeg
369B7AF7-01E8-4711-83B8-5953FC2165D4.jpeg
41058CD0-575E-4F0B-B08F-C7DBDF9A48E9.jpeg