ThieAudio Legacy 9
May 13, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #466 of 689
I think am not 100% what exactly you mean with this post? What would have „showcased“ this IEM vs others to you? What do you mean by „ideal“ frequency response?
You mean you found the signature was not your taste? Or „boring“ in general? BCan you please specify a bit? :) I am just wondering because from the graph the L9 signature does not seem to be this „neutral“ or „boring“ type. More like a signature that polarizes because of the elevated bass...?

Showcase : Every IEM has a firm "tuning" and they try to convey a capability towards a certain frequency, type of music ,etc. This one did not try to do anything, it was very vanilla.
Ideal Frequency: You have a lot of reviewers that state that frequency curves are the ultimate tool to determine an IEM good vs bad. This IEM had a frequency curve that was deemed by reviewers as the right one. Maybe it sketches out well, but when reproducing sound of a certain type into your ear (each one different and age influences) the result is just again vanilla
Boring: Nothing within the IEM was bad is just did not bring anything that differentiate it, nothing that made say let me pick it up to go listening to....... . Again by looking at the graph you will think you getting something but not really!!

The type of music ( genre), production period (60's,70's, 80's, remastered or not), cable, iem, tips, ear structure, age influences the reality of an IEM signature and as such my take is based on that

May 13, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #467 of 689
That’s always a challenge. Do you focus on one aspect, and excel at that, at the cost of excluding customers that are not looking for that trait, or go for a “safe” tuning that will be enjoyable by many, and be inoffensive, but not stand out as exceptional in any one aspect. Given that ThieAudio is new, I’m not surprised that they focused more on a “safe” tuning. Maybe switches could’ve helped?

May 13, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #468 of 689
You can also get a loose sense of "met expectations" from following the sale threads. So far, I've seen two go up for sale:
https://www.head-fi.org/search/926591/?q=legacy+9&t=post&c[nodes][0]=6550&o=date

You can try and PM the folks who have listed theirs for sale and ask what the dealbreaker was. This is usually much more effective than relying on overly rosy reviews.

I did reach out to the two owner’s of L9s currently on sale about a possible purchase, and both told me the sound was not their thing, one even mentioning he preferred the L3 over the L9.

I was kind of hot on getting an L9, but with more research and @crinacle’s comments, I’m moving on. Now the 7Hz i99 seems appealing.

May 13, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #469 of 689
I did reach out to the two owner’s of L9s currently on sale about a possible purchase, and both told me the sound was not their thing, one even mentioning he preferred the L3 over the L9.

I was kind of hot on getting an L9, but with more research and @crinacle’s comments, I’m moving on. Now the 7Hz i99 seems appealing.

Based on very first impressions, don’t overlook the L3.

May 13, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #470 of 689
Drop has the L9 at $510 with a ship date of June 11th. They also have the L3 for $110.

May 13, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #471 of 689
Received my L9 this afternoon. Ordered them on Aliexpress on March 30th. They were shipped Monday by DHL, received them without paying custom fees (DHL typically charges them). I love the way they look. The tip selection is rather spartan with only 1 pair of silicon tips. They didn't mess up my cable order, got a 4.4mm but they did tell me beforehand that I would not get my mismatched yellow and blue/red as I requested. I got two yellow/black.
The cable is not my favorite, I'll cable roll later. Right now I am doing some burn-in.
I listened to 3 songs only (amazon music HD) , first song was pleasing but nothing great, bass wasn't really impactful and treble wasn't smooth (could be the quality of the recording). Second song was more rock and sounded good but still nothing too awesome. Third song was some electronic music and the bass came alive nicely. Now we're talking. But also the treble extended well and I could hear some details that I didn't know existed on this song.
Now I'll do some proper burn-in as I am a believer, and tomorrow I will change the tips as the spin fit cp100 aren't great. Then I'll compare to my other iems and assess if it was $550 well spent.
Cheers,
20200513_170830.jpg20200513_170847.jpg20200513_170850.jpg20200513_170924.jpg

May 14, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #472 of 689
I'm A/B-ing FH7 and L9 now and I think they have a lot in common. I've owned the FH7's for about five months and I really do like them: great, rich bass, good mids-vocals, nice treble sparkle that I do not find sibilant nor fatiguing--very smooth sounding. Seems to me, at this early stage, the L9 has more emphasis on the highs and lows. Quite a bit of clarity and detail in the treble with the L9's.
The fh7 has very unnatural forward mids. The l9 sound recessed in comparison but in actuality the l9 have a more natural mid

May 14, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #474 of 689
I sold fh7 because of the mids And bass impact was not enough. L9 has more inline mids, and bass impact is very good. So yes l9 over fh7 for me. But Sony ierz1r is my endgame. Except fit they are that much better than l9. So selling l9 to finance the Sony

May 18, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #477 of 689
Showcase : Every IEM has a firm "tuning" and they try to convey a capability towards a certain frequency, type of music ,etc. This one did not try to do anything, it was very vanilla.

Interesting, I usually like to call tunings that do not showcase anything "safe". For me, the Legacy 3 had a really safe tuning, where they tried to not offend anybody with too much bass or too much treble. With the Legacy 9 they kind of decided on having a lot of bass, so I think it will play EDM, Pop, Hip-Hop very well.

I'm still waiting on my order that I placed 1 month ago. The shipping information was provided quickly but they did not hand over the package to DHL.

May 18, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #478 of 689
Thats one way to think of it. Another is that there is science behind tuning and just throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks is not going to work in the grand scheme of things. Tuning must be done with science and ears.

If a iem randomly boosts frequencies, mixes will NOT be what the artist intended.

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #479 of 689
Pretty much. But to be honest I'd rather have an iem grounded on a solid tuning, that serves almost all musical purpose and focus on the technical side than have a specific tuning that sounds good only under that specific situation/genre.

That's why I feel it's important to have a target curve before tuning, you have to have a clear vision of where you want to go beforehand.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #480 of 689
if you want
Interesting, I usually like to call tunings that do not showcase anything "safe". For me, the Legacy 3 had a really safe tuning, where they tried to not offend anybody with too much bass or too much treble. With the Legacy 9 they kind of decided on having a lot of bass, so I think it will play EDM, Pop, Hip-Hop very well.

I'm still waiting on my order that I placed 1 month ago. The shipping information was provided quickly but they did not hand over the package to DHL.

I'm in same boat ordered on 5th of April still not given to DHL. so end of this week ima ask for a refund as at the beginning they said 1/2 weeks then it was another 2 now it's different excuses. I understand the world's in a bit of chaos but I feel like I've given ample time for them to at least be shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back