ThieAudio Legacy 9
Sep 13, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #676 of 689
Oct 14, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #677 of 689
Anyone in UK/EU selling their L9 please fire me over a PM. :beerchug:

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #678 of 689
Just for me. Solid upgrade on L3. Wider stage, bigger bass, better over tonality and clarity. The Sony Z5 have been my previous favorites. Dont have them now to do a side by side, but these are dope. I think they take the Z5.

I'm pairing with my M11 Pro. Really sounds amazing. 4.4 cable with final E tips. Note that I'm a bass head so I like the thud without compromising on clarity. Great for metal core. The song Bad Season by Everything in Lsow motion is a great bass tester as is Absolomb by Periphery.

Nov 18, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #679 of 689
Just for me. Solid upgrade on L3. Wider stage, bigger bass, better over tonality and clarity. The Sony Z5 have been my previous favorites. Dont have them now to do a side by side, but these are dope. I think they take the Z5.

I'm pairing with my M11 Pro. Really sounds amazing. 4.4 cable with final E tips. Note that I'm a bass head so I like the thud without compromising on clarity. Great for metal core. The song Bad Season by Everything in Lsow motion is a great bass tester as is Absolomb by Periphery.
Same here.
I feel like M11Pro with L9 is almost perfect for heavy metal genres.
Being pleasantly warm and smooth it always wins in a case when engagement is the key factor.
Sometimes after listening to some other ones i feel like i missing something, for example bass quality and overall lower mids resolution comparing to LZ A7, or an open airness in the case of Blessing 2.
But for some reason I always comming back to those when i simly want to have fun.

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #680 of 689
Is anyone letting go of their L9 ?
My JQ 8+1 (v1) is awaiting a comparison, as I don't think they'll be the same.
Previous owner told me the JQ does "90% of what the Legend X Zeus* does"

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #681 of 689
L9 2.png

I'll just take this well-written review as a reference point for the L9s, just based on this information I could already tell that the JQ 8+1 (v1) triumphs

Point 1: 8+1 (v1) does not have globs of bass, its warm and snappy and never clouds the mid. Actually the mid bass is accentuated with hefty notes and good attack. Treble is not splashy either, it is focused and controlled, with emphasis on lower treble. Resolution and separation is better than the EX1000 - 8+1 (v1) alleviates that high mid spike and sounds way more musical, Resolution is equal to the level as the Westone ES60 but not as smooth. It has better transients and less grainy than the hard hitting Earsonics EM32, better clarity and sharpness than the Earsonics Purple's blunted notes. (By this I mean that the Purple's notes are not as opened up as the 8+1) It is also more coherent than the slightly more aggressive S-EM9 I kid you not. 8+1 has faster decay, resulting in less atmosphere than the Purple and S-EM9, which I think is very nimble, fun sounding and accurate. Soundstage of 8+1 has lesser width but taller height than both Earsonics models.

L9.png

Point 2: The mids of the 8+1 (v1) is what strike me the most, being airy, crystal clear and slightly accentuated on the high mids, giving vocal good presence, bite and clarity. L9 is thick and smooth, not the same characteristics at all

L9 3.png

Point 3:
As already mentioned in point 1, 8+1 (v1) do not have high treble extension and sparkly highs, but with rounded tones and sense of space on lower treble (good support) that is more focused and energetic.

L9 4.png

Point 4: 8+1 (v1) never sounded dark at all, it is neutral, fun yet technical, mid-forward, supported by robust speed and warmth of bass. Overall resulting in a very spacious, invigorating and full sounding experience. Slight downside is that instrument placement is not that precise and mids could come off as too immersive.

I could say that the myth that the L9 is an imitation of the JQ 8+1 (v1) is not true. You could safely pass on the Legacy 9s and look for the Monarch / Clairvoyance models

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #682 of 689
So I have L9 and Clairvoyance. Clair is wider, while L9 is more intimate. L9 is more of a bass head Iem like the z5, for example. Clair is more balanced. Resolution is comparable, but Clair is a bit more relaxed, while L9 is a bit more aggressive. It's really good for heavy music like metal, hardcore. Both are excellent iems. Not sure which to keep yet.

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #683 of 689
Dec 21, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #684 of 689
Does he L9 have fast enough bass for metal genres?

Why wouldn't it? I listen to a lot of metalcore with double bass parts. It hits hard. Periphery's song Absolomb is my go to bass song. It had a great bass section at the beginning. Everything ins Slow Motions song Bad Season is another good one with Tom's that go on for a while. It's not planar, but it's a really good DD.

Dec 21, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #685 of 689
Why wouldn't it? I listen to a lot of metalcore with double bass parts. It hits hard. Periphery's song Absolomb is my go to bass song. It had a great bass section at the beginning. Everything ins Slow Motions song Bad Season is another good one with Tom's that go on for a while. It's not planar, but it's a really good DD.
I didn’t say it wouldn’t, it was an honest question. I just have found quite a few of my IEMs with DDs for bass to be a bit slow, and tend to smear double bass hits. In general, I like the ones that have beryllium-type DDs for metal, but there certainly are some DD IEMs with plenty fast enough bass.

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #686 of 689
Admittedly, I may be less picky than you (and others), as I love good deep bass and consider myself a basshead, though I certainly love good separation, resolution, and soundstage. The DT 770's were my first love as a headphone, and then the 1770's. Best bass I've heard I think was on the Dekoni Blue. I didn't keep them because they are huge and absurd and had pretty meh treble, but that bass was epic. My Phantoms are rock solid on the bass as well. The L9's have a bit more rumble to them. The bass is a bit more impactful and visceral. Overall, I think they are more aggressive than the Clairs. I'll do some more A/B today and post some more thoughts.

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #687 of 689
Did some more A/B.

Some thoughts:

1. Definitely a huge upgrade over L3
2. Definitely for bassheads when Eq'd right. I always EQ all my iem's and headphones though. Deep, impactful, head rattling bass when EQ'd. Bass is fast, thick, and visceral
3. Soundstage is a bit more intimate than Clairvoyance
4. Resolution, separation, and stage are superior on Clairvoyance
5. L9 is more aggressive, while Clair is more relaxed
6. Treble is more resolving on Clair when doing A/B. Both sound good, but when side by side, the Clair is superior
7. L9 is more sensitive and easier to drive. L9 pairs better with M11 Pro, than with hipdac, while Clair pairs well with both, but the Xtra bass of the hipdac makes the Clair's bass more impactful, and more appealing to me. L9 is silent with M11, but has some hiss with the hipdac

Ultimately, both are excellent, but I think the Clair is superior for most people. If you want more and bigger bass and a more intimate soundstage then the L9 is the way to go.

Still going back and forth, but will likely let the L9 go. Not 100% sure yet though, as they both sound excellent.

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #688 of 689
Ok, going to let the L9 go if anyone is interested. Comes with all original packaging, boxes, tips, cable, etc, as well as a 2.5" bla20201221_141625.jpg20201221_141336.jpg20201221_141333.jpg20201221_141319.jpgck **** cable. I can include a 4.4 Nicehck single crystal copper for an extra $25 (originally $65).

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #689 of 689
Letting these go for $300 if anyone is interested. Including 2 extra cables (4.4 and 2.5) and my Blon 03 as well. Includes all original box, case, tips. I really like them, but I don't need 2 high end iems for my particular use. Message me if interested. Above comparison still holds true. Clair is wider and more relaxed. L9 is more intimate, and deeper/bigger subbass. Resolution slightly in favor of Clair, but these are still really solid if you want a more aggressive set that can have a good subwoofer effect when EQ'd right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back