Thieaudio Ghost Thread
Dec 27, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #136 of 155
Audio tweaking is fun, and compared to rolling vacuum tubes or op amps, rolling earpads actually does something real, that is not all or mostly expectation bias :)

I like Ali Express options because they are cheap, and the long shipping time actually increases anticipation. By contrast, Z Reviews recommendation of Meze pads cost almost as much as the Ghosts and were made of unobtanium.

I thought i was the only one that can't tell one tube from another! i stopped messing with op amps for that same reason. i don't want to get that meta into my sound where i'm adjusting how my dac dacs while daccing...

i'm rocking the stock pads and not the least bit needing anything brighter - there's plenty of trebel here, lots of sizzles on cymbals if you know what i'm saying :)

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #140 of 155
Got some of the gray cloth Ali pads. Tried them this morning. They are easy to get on and off. I had tried the Brainwaves and sent them back as they wouldn't fit. Maybe A-zon sent the wrong pads? Anyway, the cheap Ali pads do increase bass some. I didn't like what they did to the mids and highs compared to the OE with the cloth cut. So, I cut the Ali cloth out. Bass didn't change and the mids and highs are 'mo betta. You don't feel bad cutting up a cheap earpad.

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #141 of 155
Just tried to put a small tube preamp between DAC and AMP. It's a FOSI Audio Tube-P1. (Same as FX-AUDIO tube 03)
Replaced OP amps with Burr Brown dual OPA627 and soldered new Wima capacitors. Changing caps made the bass cleaner and darker.
It has bass and treble controls, and I'm really enjoying sound with the stock (no foam) pads and a little added bass. (about 2 oclock).
Just sharing my experience in case anyone's interested, lol.
I'm jumping on one to partner with my Fosi V3 amp - I plan to replace the stock opa's with either JRC5532dd or OracleII 02 (ordered both and will test). Interested to know more details about the Wilma caps replacement please.Tks

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #142 of 155
I'm jumping on one to partner with my Fosi V3 amp - I plan to replace the stock opa's with either JRC5532dd or OracleII 02 (ordered both and will test). Interested to know more details about the Wilma caps replacement please.Tks

Nice! Modding is fun! :thumbsup: I used these caps:
Wima MKP 4 1,5uF 10% 250V RM 22,5 mm MKP

Four of them in total in my FOSI Tube-P1. They looked like this: (not the exact model in the pic) 22,5 mm between the pins.
1705391627685.png

They improved the bass. Deeper sub bass IIRC.

I looked at this video before doing it:

Good luck! :)

Jan 16, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #143 of 155
Nice! Modding is fun! :thumbsup: I used these caps:
Wima MKP 4 1,5uF 10% 250V RM 22,5 mm MKP

Four of them in total in my FOSI Tube-P1. They looked like this: (not the exact model in the pic) 22,5 mm between the pins.
1705391627685.png

They improved the bass. Deeper sub bass IIRC.

I looked at this video before doing it:

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the info: I didn't quite figure out which 4 caps you replaced -I'll open it when it arrives and figure out which electrolytic 1.5uF are there - most probably close to the bass / treble controls

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #146 of 155
Another happy Ghost customer. They are more comfortable than my Clears (albeit much less premium feeling) and sound fantastic. Love em.

Feb 5, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #147 of 155
Are any of you Ghost owners running them balanced? I find that my Ghosts sounds so much better on balanced.
Not sure if its the headphones that response well to balanced, or whether it's just the amp's balanced output that's simply much better than the unbalanced one.
Can't recall hearing same improvement on my other sets though.

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #148 of 155
Are any of you Ghost owners running them balanced? I find that my Ghosts sounds so much better on balanced.
Not sure if its the headphones that response well to balanced, or whether it's just the amp's balanced output that's simply much better than the unbalanced one.
Can't recall hearing same improvement on my other sets though.

No I haven't tried that yet, I'm a little curious to give it a go.

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #150 of 155
So I've tried a few things so far, I did try balanced out of my Topping L70. That was a good time.

However what really blew me away is I just got a Magni Piety and I tried the Ghosts on that and maaaan was that a fantastic pairing. For the money it would be tough to beat.

Hmm, i too have a piety and a ghost - i have yet to pair them. thanks for the suggestion...!

did you like high or low gain better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back