They might be Kings - High-end Headphone Shootout
Mar 14, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #287 of 367
I will say one more thing and leave - I am more than just a music lover, I am a musician and have been playing musical instruments since I was 3 years of age, I have 26 years of experience with musical instruments and I play by ear. Music is a religion to me, a way of life. I have even met celebrities including Chris Martin of Coldplay. I know I do not need to spend $3,000 to enjoy music.

Need vs want are very different things. I don’t “need” to do half the things I do, but I sure as hell “want” to do them! Unless you’re a professional headphone reviewer or work in the industry in some manner you don’t “need” to spend even $20 on headphones.

Is Chris Martin nice?

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #288 of 367
I could do big things like that, or purchase other types of consumer electronics that have a much more meaningful purpose.
That’s the key subjective point, isn’t it?

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #289 of 367
I remember when i needes some new earplugs (foamies) for my koss “the plug”.

And then i discovered headfi.

And the athm50x and i thought “who would pay $1000 AUD for.a headphone like the hd800 or he560.

Any 6 or 7 years, and a few thousand dollars later here we are..... most of you know how that story goes.

So if you think $3k is never justified as that money is better spent elsewhere and the gear is not worth $3k to you that akes perfect sense to me. And if it is worth paying $3k for something like that well, you know, i understand that too

(And sometimes I’m even happy to listen to music straight out of my iPhone with no headphones (if I don’t have them around - eg the car))

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #290 of 367
Need vs want are very different things. I don’t “need” to do half the things I do, but I sure as hell “want” to do them! Unless you’re a professional headphone reviewer or work in the industry in some manner you don’t “need” to spend even $20 on headphones.

Is Chris Martin nice?

Yes I agree.

Yes I met him in December 2011 at the beginning of Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto World Tour here in my home country of Scotland. He was a very down to earth, gracious and courteous man. He also had a great sense of humour. I also seen his (then) wife Gwyneth Paltrow but didn't get to speak to her. She was very tall.

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #291 of 367
I'm sorry to disagree, but no headphone is worth $3,000. Think of all the other, infinitely more meaningful things one could purchase with their money. Even if money was no object to me and $3,000 was nothing to me, I would at least acknowledge this. For less than $3,000 I could buy a classic car (which I did), or I could book a 2 week vacation travelling from the UK to Los Angeles, I could do big things like that, or purchase other types of consumer electronics that have a much more meaningful purpose.
Who says those other things you mention have $3000 worth of value? Simple, those who value it enough to spend the money on them. For me the classic car would be such a waste of money so I would not think it worth the expense, but others would. Again, this is a well accepted axiom in business, something is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #292 of 367
And I love my Z1r’s... my wife took my first pair so had to get a second pair. Darn, same thing happened when I got the Empyreans. So two pairs of each. However music is more important to us than vacations.

You have the same headphone combination as me. Clearly you have impeccable tast! :wink:

What pads are you using with the Empyrean? I keep switching between the two depending on the music and really can't decide on with I prefer. Great having the choice though!

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #293 of 367
You have the same headphone combination as me. Clearly you have impeccable tast! :wink:

What pads are you using with the Empyrean? I keep switching between the two depending on the music and really can't decide on with I prefer. Great having the choice though!
Rowethren,

:D thanks. However, I don't think the Z1R and Empyrean really share a lot of common ground...But for my wife and I, we find they fit the ideal checkboxes we often look for when testing headphones... So for closed back.... the Z1R's are quite awesome all around....but open back give the best sound quality and we find the Empyreans to deliver the best experience we have ever heard and their fit and finish is unrivaled...rare with flagships... And I mean rare to find a pair that actually meets up to the expectations of what a 3K pair of headphones should look and sound like.

I have no need for any of these headphones of course. Otherwise, I'd be crazy if I actually said I needed these. However I surely want them, and shall have them and don't feel guilty about it one bit. They definitely make listening to music more enjoyable for us on many levels. It's rare to find a pair of headphones I can have on my head for extended sessions of 4-8hours at a time and not feel the need to remove them. We use the Z1R's a lot when we are "gaming" and doing co-op sessions in the same room while using a Modmic attached to them. We have high end gaming PC's and really enjoy unwinding this way. So nice gear can help.

The Empyrean, I actually like both pads for particular reasons...The Alcantara pads are definitely the most neutral sounding to my ears, the calfskin leather ones are more dynamic sounding with deeper bass, a slight bump in mids and highs and can be really fun too. These leather pads are fun for electronic music or stuff that I'm not so critical with.

I've sold off many of my headphones I don't listen to as often. Now we are down to a small collection. two pair Empyrean, two pair Z1R, Susvara, Arya, Neo99, NeoClassic, Oppo PM3, Sony WH-1000XM3(these are for working in loud environments), Earbridge HPSD E70, Fidue A83. and i've got the Radsone ES100 as well :D thats a neat little device I must say.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #294 of 367
Rowethren,

:D thanks. However, I don't think the Z1R and Empyrean really share a lot of common ground...But for my wife and I, we find they fit the ideal checkboxes we often look for when testing headphones... So for closed back.... the Z1R's are quite awesome all around....but open back give the best sound quality and we find the Empyreans to deliver the best experience we have ever heard and their fit and finish is unrivaled...rare with flagships... And I mean rare to find a pair that actually meets up to the expectations of what a 3K pair of headphones should look and sound like.

I have no need for any of these headphones of course. Otherwise, I'd be crazy if I actually said I needed these. However I surely want them, and shall have them and don't feel guilty about it one bit. They definitely make listening to music more enjoyable for us on many levels. It's rare to find a pair of headphones I can have on my head for extended sessions of 4-8hours at a time and not feel the need to remove them. We use the Z1R's a lot when we are "gaming" and doing co-op sessions in the same room while using a Modmic attached to them. We have high end gaming PC's and really enjoy unwinding this way. So nice gear can help.

The Empyrean, I actually like both pads for particular reasons...The Alcantara pads are definitely the most neutral sounding to my ears, the calfskin leather ones are more dynamic sounding with deeper bass, a slight bump in mids and highs and can be really fun too. These leather pads are fun for electronic music or stuff that I'm not so critical with.

I've sold off many of my headphones I don't listen to as often. Now we are down to a small collection. two pair Empyrean, two pair Z1R, Susvara, Arya, Neo99, NeoClassic, Oppo PM3, Sony WH-1000XM3(these are for working in loud environments), Earbridge HPSD E70, Fidue A83. and i've got the Radsone ES100 as well :D thats a neat little device I must say.

The certainly present the sound in different ways, I think the area they are most similar is in the bass as they are both a bit lifted. The Z1R have a fair bit more treble energy than the Empyrean though and can sometimes be a bit harsh, but this never happens with the Empyrean. Sounds like your impressions of the different pads are pretty similar to mine as well.

Funnily enough I have an ES100 as well which I use with my K10s for commuting. It is pretty impressive what they managed to pack into such a small and light device.

Mar 15, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #295 of 367
Hi, can someone share sound impressions comparing the Empyrean with Z1Rs, any Stax or HD800/800s? I have not had the chance to audition them yet and trying to understand their sound. Happy to see this thread come back to life

Mar 19, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #296 of 367
Don’t sit idle with your HD800, you’re missing out on hearing what your Yggy can really do :) Man I want that DAC and I’m really tempted to upgrade from my Bifrost Multibit, but like you with headphones I wonder if the Yggy is worth all the extra dough.

I have a Bifrost Multi running out of my Jot in my office....nice combo but no match for my Yggy...and I have not even upgraded the Yggy yet...really love what it does combined with Roon...the greatest music player I have ever tried....A BARGAIN FOR $500 LIFETIME! What component can anyone own that cost $500 and will be constantly updated with real improvements to be had yearly....I'm just bummed it took me two years of Roon membership before I upgraded to lifetime :frowning2:

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #297 of 367
I have a Bifrost Multi running out of my Jot in my office....nice combo but no match for my Yggy...and I have not even upgraded the Yggy yet...really love what it does combined with Roon...the greatest music player I have ever tried....A BARGAIN FOR $500 LIFETIME! What component can anyone own that cost $500 and will be constantly updated with real improvements to be had yearly....I'm just bummed it took me two years of Roon membership before I upgraded to lifetime :frowning2:
Way off topic, but looking at the dog you are using as your avatar I think we both have similar dogs. We have what is called a cavapooh which I think your dog is as well?

Mar 20, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #298 of 367
Hey SD!

Hello to the great white North!

Actually that's my boy Mr. Snickers who is a Labradooodle..... the smartest and goofiest dog I have ever had the pleasure to share my life with....... He weighs 60 lbs...I think that's about 27 Kilo...No? I would guess your Cavapooh would be a smaller breed? They are cuter than hell though!!!

Mar 20, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #299 of 367
Hey SD!

Hello to the great white North!

Actually that's my boy Mr. Snickers who is a Labradooodle..... the smartest and goofiest dog I have ever had the pleasure to share my life with....... He weighs 60 lbs...I think that's about 27 Kilo...No? I would guess your Cavapooh would be a smaller breed? They are cuter than hell though!!!
Yes, Mr. Snickers does look larger. Our dog, Buttons is beyond sweet, but he is as dumb as wood. Still, couldn't find a nicer dog so we'll live with his intellectual challenges. Cheers.

Mar 20, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #300 of 367
Hey SD,

Your comments made me LOL....as long as he won't fall asleep in his water bowl...I think he'll do just great ...they are damn good looking dogs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back