They might be Kings - High-end Headphone Shootout
Apr 3, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #151 of 367
you see that tone of yours? polite and civil...that is what makes headfi such a cool place to hang.:beerchug:

but if i do find out from my post on the cable from sony, hopefully you won't mind if i do add it it.
not trying to sidetrack from this wonderful thread (even the debate is civil but equally constructive)
hope you don't mind if i do sneak it in...but will try to keep that my comments on it going forward to the sony z1r specific thread at hand.

I appreciate the response. Let's keep this great thread going. :beerchug:

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #153 of 367
Just like any other headphone - put a playlist on continual loop at a nice volume  - and - PLAY

Most likely a good 100 hours will be needed.

I had a pair in the house at the same time as the Utopia.  I kept the Utopia and sent the Z1R's back.  I now need a pair of closed back to use while the wife watches TV so I have another pair coming back again.  They did make a very nice impression on me the first time they were here so I am hoping the magic I felt the last time was for real.  We will see

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #154 of 367
  Just like any other headphone - put a playlist on continual loop at a nice volume  - and - PLAY

Most likely a good 100 hours will be needed.

I had a pair in the house at the same time as the Utopia.  I kept the Utopia and sent the Z1R's back.  I now need a pair of closed back to use while the wife watches TV so I have another pair coming back again.  They did make a very nice impression on me the first time they were here so I am hoping the magic I felt the last time was for real.  We will see

If you don't mind me asking, obviously you liked the Utopias better than the Z1Rs when you sent them back...  Other than your need for a closed back, what was magical about the Z1Rs that made you order another pair?  I am trying to decide between the Z1Rs and the Ether c flows for my need for same. I have the Ether flows, which I really liked until getting the Utopias.  I just don't use them anymore. I want to sell them and get a closed pair.  I know I will not like either of those closed cans more than the Utopias.  C'mon~  So, between trying to pick one of them and expecting something inferior than what I already have, not pulling the trigger has been pretty easy so far.  

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #155 of 367
If you don't mind me asking, obviously you liked the Utopias better than the Z1Rs when you sent them back...  Other than your need for a closed back, what was magical about the Z1Rs that made you order another pair?  I am trying to decide between the Z1Rs and the Ether c flows for my need for same. I have the Ether flows, which I really liked until getting the Utopias.  I just don't use them anymore. I want to sell them and get a closed pair.  I know I will not like either of those closed cans more than the Utopias.  C'mon~  So, between trying to pick one of them and expecting something inferior than what I already have, not pulling the trigger has been pretty easy so far.  

Yes the reason for returning the Z1R's was as you mentioned above - the Utopias are simply that much better - actually in a completely different league. The problem is I cannot use them in the same room with my wife as there is too much sound leakage.

I am in the process of reacquainting myself with the Z1R. I do remember from the first time I had them they are a very addicting, fun and musical sound. They keep my toes tapping just like my Naim 2 channel system.

I guess my memory of them was good enough to give them another try. Many seem to say they are amongst the best closed back currently available today - so if I need something to compliment the Utopia's - the best open backs - then these seem like the right candidate.

Another big test which I did not do during the first time I had them here was how well they block outside sound. My wife watches TV so I need to see if they can block some of the sound out - the Utopias were useless in that regard.

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #156 of 367
Yes the reason for returning the Z1R's was as you mentioned above - the Utopias are simply that much better - actually in a completely different league. The problem is I cannot use them in the same room with my wife as there is too much sound leakage.

I am in the process of reacquainting myself with the Z1R. I do remember from the first time I had them they are a very addicting, fun and musical sound. They keep my toes tapping just like my Naim 2 channel system.

I guess my memory of them was good enough to give them another try. Many seem to say they are amongst the best closed back currently available today - so if I need something to compliment the Utopia's - the best open backs - then these seem like the right candidate.

Another big test which I did not do during the first time I had them here was how well they block outside sound. My wife watches TV so I need to see if they can block some of the sound out - the Utopias were useless in that regard.

You will still hear the sounds from the TV, or fan noise. Dampened, yes, it won't isolate fully.

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #158 of 367
You will still hear the sounds from the TV, or fan noise. Dampened, yes, it won't isolate fully.

Yes - that I realize

Any other alternatives I should consider then which meet my requirements?

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #162 of 367
No no - I already have a pair of B&O H9 wireless with ANC for airline travel . I want something which rivals my Utopia for around quality.

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #163 of 367
Sony Review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-z1r/reviews/18368

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #164 of 367
Apr 7, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #165 of 367

question: in your video what is 1/the tube amp you're using (my bud loves tubes: once had Shindo stuff)
and 2/ what are your desktop monitors? i have the focal alpha 50s.

It's all in my profile. 

ALO Audio Studio Six.
ADAM ARTist 3.

smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back