They might be Kings - High-end Headphone Shootout
Mar 14, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #271 of 367
Fair enough. But $3,000 for a set of headphones borders on absurdity, in my opinion. It is taking advantage of people's willingness to pay top dollar just for a temporary auditory experience. It is pure greed from the manufacturer. A headphone is simply a listening device, no matter how good it may sound - there's only one thing it can do. It is a temporary, disposable thing (no headphone lasts forever). Whereas a car can get you across a country or a vacation results in a lifetime of great memories.
That is wrong! I rather relax in musical heaven than go on a vacation. My opinion. Different strokes, for different folks.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #272 of 367
That is wrong! I rather relax in musical heaven than go on a stupid vacation. My opinion. Different strokes, for different folks.
OK, cool. Vacations aren't stupid though, I went on a 8 day vacation to France years ago and it was a life changing experience. The flight bookings, 8 days stay in a 5 star hotel plus other expenses combined cost less than half the price of those headphones.

Mar 14, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #273 of 367
OK, cool. Vacations aren't stupid though, I went on a 8 day vacation to France years ago and it was a life changing experience. The flight bookings, 8 days stay in a 5 star hotel plus other expenses combined cost less than half the price of those headphones.

If you go back to @Hifiearspeakers then you will see he addressed that point. You value going on a holiday that cost you a fair bit others including myself only go on relatively local and very cheap holidays and have a great time. However I also get a large amount of pleasure from being able to sit back in the evening in what little spare time I have and listen to some decent music in the way I want to. To me that is, as they say in the advert, "priceless".

At the end of the day your augment is just the same as people who argue over which headphone sounds better, which painting they like more, what house they would rather live in etc etc. They are all subjective opinions and people are entitled to them. You can think they are too expensive and that is fine don't buy them, I think they are expensive but worth it so I did buy them. Agree to disagree.

The End... Hopefully :deadhorse:

Mar 14, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #274 of 367
If you go back to @Hifiearspeakers then you will see he addressed that point. You value going on a holiday that cost you a fair bit others including myself only go on relatively local and very cheap holidays and have a great time. However I also get a large amount of pleasure from being able to sit back in the evening in what little spare time I have and listen to some decent music in the way I want to. To me that is, as they say in the advert, "priceless".

At the end of the day your augment is just the same as people who argue over which headphone sounds better, which painting they like more, what house they would rather live in etc etc. They are all subjective opinions and people are entitled to them. You can think they are too expensive and that is fine don't buy them, I think they are expensive but worth it so I did buy them. Agree to disagree.

Yes!, what he said.

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #275 of 367

Haha yeah sure. I don't think any headphone is worth $3,000, that is just pure greed IMO, but I do think $1,000 to $1,500 is acceptable. Sony is the clever, sensible one who prices their flagships in that price-range, because they know that it's still an acceptable price. Unlike $2,000 more for something that may or may not sound as good.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #276 of 367
Haha yeah sure. I don't think any headphone is worth $3,000, that is just pure greed IMO, but I do think $1,000 to $1,500 is acceptable. Sony is the clever, sensible one who prices their flagships in that price-range, because they know that it's still an acceptable price. Unlike $2,000 more for something that may or may not sound as good.

That is pretty funny... You know the RRP for the Sony Z1R is $2000 right?

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #277 of 367

Dead horse maybe, but you’re spot on!

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #278 of 367
@Rowethren the last time I checked it had gone down a few hundred. That is pretty funny..lol.
Well Sony are the only company that I would ever spend over $1,000 on for a headphone, as they know what they are doing compared to the other manufacturers in that price category. They have decades and decades of experience.

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #279 of 367
@Rowethren the last time I checked it had gone down a few hundred. That is pretty funny..lol.
Well Sony are the only company that I would ever spend over $1,000 on for a headphone, as they know what they are doing compared to the other manufacturers in that price category. They have decades and decades of experience.

It might very well have gone down in price but they were selling at $2000 for quite a while. I never pay RRP for anything anyway... What about Beyerdynamic? They pretty much invented headphones.

Regardless, everything you have said is still your opinion. YOU think a specific price is too much, good for you, just because you think that doesn't meant the whole works has to agree? In my first post I made it pretty clear you are entitled to your opinion just as much as we are but you are continuing to argue which is completely futile... Like I said, agree to disagree and just drop it!

On that note no more posts on this subject from be as it is most definitely :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: at this point.

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #280 of 367
It might very well have gone down in price but they were selling at $2000 for quite a while. I never pay RRP for anything anyway... What about Beyerdynamic? They pretty much invented headphones.

Regardless, everything you have said is still your opinion. YOU think a specific price is too much, good for you, just because you think that doesn't meant the whole works has to agree? In my first post I made it pretty clear you are entitled to your opinion just as much as we are but you are continuing to argue which is completely futile... Like I said, agree to disagree and just drop it!

On that note no more posts on this subject from be as it is most definitely :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: at this point.

I have this policy where I do not reply to comments if I don't have to, however, in this case, I had to defend my opinion. People do not like being told things they can't accept but that they know subconsciously is true, therefore I expected this kind of reaction, I had to defend my opinion.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #281 of 367
I have this policy where I do not reply to comments if I don't have to, however, in this case, I had to defend my opinion. People do not like being told things they can't accept but that they know subconsciously is true, therefore I expected this kind of reaction, I had to defend my opinion.

You forced me into this... I really wanted to leave it there but that statement is so utterly stupid I can't help myself!

That is the single most hypocritical thing I have ever read on this site! So apparently we are all brainwashed and your opinion is the master opinion all others should follow and if we don't agree we must secretly agree with you and be fighting against ourselves.

Thank you oh headphone lord we shall follow all your future opinions will full gusto! :face_palm:

*Edit - For the record as I said in my first post and again in the post before this I did make it pretty clear that everyone was entitled to their own opinions so I am not sure why you felt the need to "defend" your opinion.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #282 of 367
You forced me into this... I really wanted to leave it there but that statement is so utterly stupid I can't help myself!

That is the single most hypocritical thing I have ever read on this site! So apparently we are all brainwashed and your opinion is the master opinion all others should follow and if we don't agree we must secretly agree with you and be fighting against ourselves.

Thank you oh headphone lord we shall follow all your future opinions will full gusto! :face_palm:

Oh come on, I wasn't born yesterday! you know i'm not saying that, I know i'm not saying that. Let's all be adults and move on.

You are right and I am wrong! There! hows that for an admission! :wink:

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #284 of 367
That is pretty funny... You know the RRP for the Sony Z1R is $2000 right?
And I love my Z1r’s... my wife took my first pair so had to get a second pair. Darn, the same thing happened when I got the Empyreans. So two pairs of each. However, music is more important to us than vacations. Does anyone want to blame us for that? Hope this conversation gets on topic again. Good Grief...

And this response is not to any one particular person. So this wasn’t directed to Rowethren.
:)

I should add, wants and needs have a distinct difference. We want these headphones simply because they offer a wonderful experience. If we said we needed them it would be silly. We simply can afford them. Why not?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #285 of 367
I will say one more thing and leave - I am more than just a music lover, I am a musician and have been playing musical instruments since I was 3 years of age, I have 26 years of experience with musical instruments and I play by ear. Music is a religion to me, a way of life. I have even met celebrities including Chris Martin of Coldplay. I know I do not need to spend $3,000 to enjoy music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back