Theta Digital compli blu is a rebadged oppo.
Sep 19, 2009 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

SB

theta_blu_pop.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

CompliBlu_power.jpg

The back layout is the same as the oppo BDP-83, the only thing they changed is the power supply and are charging $5000.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 42
Goldmund did the same thing with a Pioneer DVD player, it is a pretty common, if egregious, practice, loads of Chinese components are rebadged and up-marked as well.

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 42
A good post and eye-opener to those who believe extreme amounts of money translate into quality.

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 42
If people only knew what went into components....

Anyhow, do you know which Oppo model they rebadged? It would be fun to pick one up, and I assume it sounds very good.

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oppo BD player does not have a toroidal transformer.

I think that could be taken as a change in the power supply
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 42
Other sites are posting this info:

The good news is they debuted the Compli Blue Blu-ray player. It is based on the Oppo unit, with the power supply and the digital and analog audio sections by Theta.

Not that that makes it worth $5000, but it does make it a more reasonable proposition.

I guess the bigger question is why did ATI buy Theta if this is the type of stunts they were planning to pull? Sad to see, but I think a lot of other top tier companies are going to share the same fate, namely have someone buy their company and milk the brand name for all it's worth and do so shamelessly.

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oppo BD player does not have a toroidal transformer.

Already pointed out, what would this change? Are you assuming that this would change something in the player?

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #11 of 42
Torroids also have a much wider bandwidth and are therefore more susceptible to noise problems. For preamps, and often digital, standard (though not inexpensive) split bobbin or best a double C-core split bobbin are a better choice. R-core transformers are also quite good for this type of equipment. Torroids are used more because they are easily obtained and everyone thinks they are the best. Check here for some more info.

Sep 19, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Torroids also have a much wider bandwidth and are therefore more susceptible to noise problems. For preamps, and often digital, standard (though not inexpensive) split bobbin or best a double C-core split bobbin are a better choice. R-core transformers are also quite good for this type of equipment. Torroids are used more because they are easily obtained and everyone thinks they are the best. Check here for some more info.

X2

Toroids can be quite good, but they're better if you put them on an isolation transformer or other conditioner that keeps out noise.

Sep 20, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 42
Nice find OP!

Sep 20, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Torroids also have a much wider bandwidth and are therefore more susceptible to noise problems.

Yeah, that's due to the high interwinding capacitance between primary and secondary. However that can be ameliorated with a Faraday shield. Most off the shelf toroids though don't have them.

Quote:

For preamps, and often digital, standard (though not inexpensive) split bobbin or best a double C-core split bobbin are a better choice. R-core transformers are also quite good for this type of equipment.

My favorite's been the UI dual split bobbins. Though my friend thinks they look like "a ratty pile of ****."
atsmile.gif

k

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My favorite's been the UI dual split bobbins. Though my friend thinks they look like "a ratty pile of ****."
atsmile.gif

k

Do tell...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back