These Image = bad or defective?
May 10, 2008 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

simplemail1

New Head-Fier
So here's the story, I bought the Klipsch Image from ebay. I anxiously await for the shipment a week later, lo and behold, they sent me the wrong shipment (Custom-2). Then they sent me the correct package a week later (I still haven't sent the wrong package back yet to make sure I received the right one).

So I received them today hoping to be blasted by bass. What I got was rolled off and shrilly treble. The bass was present, but not that strong (compared the my CX300, they are less in quantity and no where near the chest thumping I've read about. I'm dead positive I got a good seal, as I could hardly hear anything from the outside world. And when I use my ipod to about 60+%, it makes a rattly sound sometimes, like static, as if it cannot handle the sound.

Honestly they do not sound like hundreds of dollar phones. Should I send em back? I'm worried the seller will do something fishy or give me a load of bullcrap, as he sent me 2 shippings, one which was overnight. Has anyone ever dealt with this guy?? eBay My World - the_e_warehouse.

I dunno, maybe I was expecting too much? But honestly I was irritated by the entire ordeal.

I read stories about the dangers of not buying from authorized sellers, so please I don't want to be bombarded with those kind of comments (I think I've learned me lesson
frown.gif
. I just want to know what would be the best way to approach this...

I can take some pictures, if needed...

May 10, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 15
Don't know your seller, and I have a feeling there are additional issues involved here. I will say MY Images were also purchased on eBay, and the transaction was fine. The Images will reflect the character of your DAP - and if the DAP is relatively bright - so will be the Images (unless used in combination with a tubey amp. One example is if you combine them with, let's say, a 1st gen. Shuffle - the result will be bright.....on the other hand it has worked very nicely for me to temporarily utilize them 1st gen.Nano/XinReference/Klipsch Images. To me, they are keepers (I'm also happy with my UE Triple-Fi - also purchased on eBay).

May 10, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 15
Are you familiar with IEM's? Probably you are not getting a good seal, try different tips, as that is practical the key of getting the right bass, you have to stick them in till you hear nothing from the outside, them play the music to see...I'm some kind of bass head, and the Images are a serious bass headphones...

As a side note the tips have a line on the tubular section, that must match the line on the hepahones, they are not perfect circles, the oval shape helps the seal, double check that you are placing the tips correctly...

May 10, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 15
Well I've been listening to them for a couple of hours now and they sound ALOT better than before. I dunno what's up with that. But I still think the treble could have been better.

How far do they have to go in the ear. I'm guessing just until I get a good seal correct?

May 10, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by simplemail1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I've been listening to them for a couple of hours now and they sound ALOT better than before. I dunno what's up with that. But I still think the treble could have been better.

How far do they have to go in the ear. I'm guessing just until I get a good seal correct?

The treble could have been better, that is right. Now we are talking in english, I think that the bass overpower a little bit...

In my case they go all theway in, get the bigger tips first, I only see the cable from the outside, so go and figure how deep they go....
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 15
New they are going to take a number of hours to burn-in. The brightness often recedes and the bass becomes more defined. No I don't have any but this has been experience with other phones though the frequency abnormalities can be related to many things.

May 10, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by simplemail1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can only get them in so far with, and when I use the small tips they go in pretty deep with a seal, but the inside of my ears feel a tad bit scratched.

The main issue is to get a good seal, it doesn't matter how far in or out, use the bigger tips and try to seal a little further out to see if this improve. A practical tip, stop the music, and with them on, while the seal is good, you can barely listen the environment around you, other music playing in speakers, TV, etc... if you do the seal is not good enough, also try to listen the heartbeats, and the breathing, you should be able to...once you get that seal, go ahead and see if there is any difference. BTW making the tips a little wet will help, your saliva, or any cream will help as well...

May 10, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New they are going to take a number of hours to burn-in. The brightness often recedes and the bass becomes more defined. No I don't have any but this has been experience with other phones though the frequency abnormalities can be related to many things.

Armatures work a little different than regular drivers, not sure to what extend the burn in will help those honestly the bass is really heavy!!!

May 10, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 15
I know. I have the UM2 and they took a while.

As you state, a good seal is absolutely important and can make or break the sound. I always liked harbor seals myself though its hard to keep them in place and the fish smell gets old after a while.

May 11, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Armatures work a little different than regular drivers, not sure to what extend the burn in will help those honestly the bass is really heavy!!!

The folks at Sleek Audio said that their armatures definitely took about 10 hours for the pivots to loosen up and to develop the final sound signature.

BTW, the Sleeks sound much better to me than my Images. Much better soundstage, better highs, and equal comfort.

May 11, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always liked harbor seals myself though its hard to keep them in place and the fish smell gets old after a while.

oh my god. that was... indescribable.

May 11, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #15 of 15
I had the same issue with highs at first but i think bass was realy heavy in the begning and then after 20hrs plus burn-in. They become more open up with airy soundstage and turn realy good for rock, jazz, vocal and instrumental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back