These HD600's are terrible, and so are ALL headphones! I give up!!
May 24, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #182 of 325
OP: You say you have much experience in audio technology. You say you have designed speakers, amps, etc. Why is it then that you have just very recently tried a HD600? Seems someone with your vast experience would have tried the HD580, 600, and 650 long before now.

May 24, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #183 of 325
I already gave you best advise on post #4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
see ya
tongue_smile.gif

May 24, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #184 of 325
Like some of us said before:
If you dont liek headphone why are you here.
You start your thread by saying that cans that are considered as very good by many people here and saying that all headphones are crap.
This is what's called trolling.
You are lucky the mods around here are not cowboys or your ip would have been banned very fast.
If you still dont get the hint you should heed the wise words of Ari Gold YouTube - Ari - Get The **** Out

May 24, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #185 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is an informative article from Stereophile on the art and science of measuring headphones:

Stereophile: Between the Ears: the art and science of measuring headphones

They discuss what the ideal frequency response of headphones should be. There are differing opinions: same as loudspeakers free field on axis, free field 30 degrees off axis, similar to loudspeakers in a diffuse environment (aka diffuse field equalization) or variations thereof. Even headphones which are advertised as diffuse field equalized do not follow the same contour.

It's good reading for everyone.

Thank you! Most helpful post so far. This is pertinent information. I've come across much of it in the past, but it was nice reading it all in one place. Eventho it's Stereophile, it's a very informative article, and I'd recommend that anyone who's interested should read it. Thanks again.

May 24, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #186 of 325
I feel for the OP who has been making interesting points that are not often debated here:
1) There are 2 main approaches to headphones: either you use them because this is really what you like best or alternatively because they are what you like best when you can't listen to your speakers.
2) Headphones are very far from accurate. This is not even debatable. The OP is unfortunate to need accuracy to enjoy listening to music but it's a physical fact that one driver alone cannot reproduce the entire spectrum accurately.

So if you come from the speaker world (or even further studio monitor world) and you fail to undertand and/or accept the limitations of headphone technology and expect a very similar experience with headphones than with studio monitors, you can only be disappointed. Listening to studio monitors and headphones are 2 totally different experiences and this can't be repeated enough to newcomers.

I have a pair of simply awesome studio monitors rated at +/-3dB over 30Hz-21kHz but like others on this thread I can only listen to them sporadically. I can't express how much I love them. To me it's a fact that SQ wise they're blatantly better than any headphones I've ever listened to and I've been roaming headphile shops around where I leave for years.
BUT: I've learned to appreciate headphones for what they are and I have (almost :wink: as much pleasure listening to my phones as I do with my monitors. And I really like my Senns both HD600 and 650. But when I bought my first pair (Grados) I simply could not understand why so many people where raving about them. I still can't but not for the same reasons
wink.gif

My 2 cents to the OP:
1) Get used to it. It takes time, yes your monitors are better but don't you enjoy listening to music in your car? One day you'll enjoy headphones too.
2) Opt for closed studio headphones rather than audiophile ones. I confess that I still prefer my DT250/250 to my Senns (although HD650 are really growing on me now) and I'm ready to bet that you would too.

One last thing: until his last post the OP had been rather blunt but well within the netiquette guidelines. He's had to put up with many posters that read like self-righteous ayatollahs. Sadly well-seasoned members were as guilty as juniors head-fiers.

May 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #187 of 325
well, i have to say couple more words:

Topic is:

These HD600's are terrible, [size=small]and so are ALL headphones[/size]! I give up!!

First of all, NO ONE rate a headphone quality by mesurinf frequency response, how acurate, or flat they are with some lab instrument - this is simple insane ...

What I try to say, If you use headphones to LISTEN music, you have to understand to this particular CD come from studio with inperfect monitoring too, and - they make a sound on same inperfect monitoring you can start new topic spiting on THIS inacurate speakers ...

There is no perfect speaker or headphones, all we know and no one look for perfection, but for best sounding device for Me or You or someone else ...

I was waiting to hear what speaker or headphones topic starter use to comapre sound of headphones - but - all i got is some theory ... test CD ? Sound card for measuring sound response ? what ever ...

What is the best spekaer you hear and you are considering nothing is good after that ?

He claim he is in audio for decades or something ... All i hear is - no one here knows anything about headphones, and - he is here to open our eyes, and to tell us something no one knows but him ...

Guys, is all about music ... ALL ... if music sound good on some headphones, his is the best cans on the world - for YOU ...

Is simple like that ...

Regards !

May 24, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #188 of 325
If all of you love your hd 600's,i would advice to stop visiting & posting here and take a look at a thread i started a few days ago("a question to all hd 600 owners" thread)
I have a strange problem with my hd600's and if you really like the sound of your cans you should better take a look.

May 24, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #190 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So this guy comes in, essentially calls us all delusional, and denounces all headphones despite never having heard high-end headphone setups, yet anyone who calls him out on that is immature and he's "on to something"?

Face it, the OP is right. It hurts, but the truth must be accepted. This headphone thing has gotten way out of hand, blown way out of proportion. He is simply pointing out how gullible and obsessed we are in our "hobby" and he doesn't buy it, not for a minute. Good for him. I wish I was still where he is
frown.gif
redface.gif
Then I'd be happy to hear music with just the basics, not searching for something all the time. And judging by all the lengthy detailed posts in this thread, a lot of people don't much like headphones and serious listening otherwise they'd be doing more of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So we are the "vast majority of consumers" that cannot hear peaks/dips, we're victims of BS, we don't notice as much as he does, we're not very knowledgeable about audio, and we shouldn't be quick to call him wrong, we should just be happy we're so insensitive to audio.

Unfortunately this is what occurs when one is obsessed or co-dependent.

I'm glad someone finally had the guts to come aboard and tell it like it is. I read his post several times and came away feeling shameful and embarrassed. It was like being (on a much lower scale) an alcoholic or a crack addict and having someone point out how you are ruining the lives of yourself and your loved ones with a harmful addiction. And I am one of the worst "addicts" on Head-Fi. I have been obsessed for almost 20 years. Ever since that Yamaha YHD-1 blew away the Sony phones on my Walkman, I have been pushing to see how far I can go. Well I've gone nowhere. I should have one pair of headphones and one amp, not 15 and 6. Sometime I try to justify the herd by using an analogy of a guitar player having 30 guitars for different sounds. Perhaps if I made a tidy sum from listening to headphones I would be justified. Alas it is merely a sickness.

And worst of all, now all my headphones either have obvious peaks and valleys, or are totally boring and slow because they don't. I give up too. After the HF-2 arrives. Then I'll give up. I will. I swear. I'll try. Help me.

Can we open a Headphone Addicts Anonymous category on Head-Fi?

May 24, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #191 of 325
This seems like a somewhat ridiculous thread.

I doubt many would seriously argue that heaphones really compete with the best, or even better, speaker set ups in the best, or even better, optimized listening room. Perhaps the most distinguishing difference being the realism of the soundstage.

But... they're really not comparable experiences.

You can enjoy really quite phenomenal sound quality in almost all other respects from quite a variety of great headphone setups... for a fraction of the cost of the best, or even better, speaker set ups and optimized listening rooms. There is simply no comparison in the investment required to achieve the same sound quality from a speaker set up, that can be achieved with rather modest investments in a variety of well matched head phone set ups - with the exception of the realism of the soundstage.

You must enjoy each experience for what it is in itself.

So... this debate is quite illogical - so much so... that this thread is quite simply... pointless.

May 24, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #192 of 325
Beagle,

i can understand your feelings.I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.(as anything else in this life)If that's your hobby and it makes you feel good then do it,but not overdo it.You must control yourself a little
smile.gif

May 24, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #193 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After the HF-2 arrives. Then I'll give up.

It doesn't sound like you're giving up.
wink_face.gif

May 24, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #194 of 325
The original poster was blunt... but had some good points. Let us take those points, recognize them, make use of them as we wish, and move on. (maybe make our own "thoughtful" thread)

The basic message is not new information. We already knew that there were no perfect headphones.

BHTX seems like a smart dude - but the way he approached this was not the best. This forum is hopefully for lively, intelligent discussion that helps the reader gain a better understanding of headphones in relation to the world of audio. Not to make readers feel bad about their enjoyment of headphones.

I wish there were more discussions that really looked at headphones like this thread is attempting to do... but this thread is too argumentative and volatile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back