these grammar is for sure sucks nowaday bigtime. u agre?
Oct 28, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #16 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightStalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just me or has peoples ability to select the appropriate section of the forums to vent such frustrations also deteriorated
tongue.gif

X2

haha

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #17 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightStalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just me or has peoples ability to select the appropriate section of the forums to vent such frustrations also deteriorated
tongue.gif

Also excessive use of emoticons and signing posts.
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

-gorgak
smile_phones.gif
tongue_smile.gif
confused_face.gif
: evil:

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 100
I speak well England.

More so on topic.. how often do you find it so bad that it is difficult to read? I for one spend a lot of my time on the forums using my iphone (name drop) on the bus/train etc, so not to much focus is placed on wording and spelling etc. Although there are some examples around that aren't just shortcuts, but either drunkenness/stupidity/poor English or all of the above.

**Checking over grammar and spelling**

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #19 of 100
I think the main thing is that people still get their ideas across fine. It's an internet multicultural audio forum, we aren't writing books or anything here
smily_headphones1.gif

I look at it more that it's awesome that we can get this done in what appears to be one language (as far as I can tell) and everyone can participate at least to the point that we can understand.

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #21 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
English are not mine naturel language, but i talk grate, and write fluids.

lol

on a more serious note, i never capitalize on forums and i abbreviate when i'm rushed for time. i really don't think it's a big deal, as long you get your point across clearly.

as someone already mentioned, some ppl here don't speak english as a first language, so that could explain some of the grammar issues.

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #22 of 100
Srsly, lol...

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #23 of 100
Allow me to quote Chaucer here about language change that sums up nicely why it's silly to be a grammar-nazi:

"Ye knowe ek that in forme of speche is chaunge
Withinne a thousand yere, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem, and yit they spake hem so."

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #24 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mind unintentional grammar errors, but when people (there isn't luckily many here, but on other forums) use those completely unnecessary* abbreviations such as 'u' as you or 'y' as why, it makes me boiling.

A HUGE X2! Thanks for pointing this out. Whenever I see a 'u' or a '4' (for), just to name two, I say to myself (actually sometimes out loud) "It would've taken so much more time to type a 'y' and 'o' or the word 'for' now, wouldn't it?"

By the way, shouldn't that be "...there aren't luckily many here..."?
regular_smile .gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #25 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand that most of discussion on the web is like standing around with a group of friends in grade 9, no one is too concerned with grammar. That said, one thing that annoys me is that many people seem not to know the difference between "than" and "then" and I am not talking about those whose English is a second language. Is schooling really at a point where this is not taught? "I like Grado much more then Senn" Yikes.

Absolutely! Or, as others might say, "Your absolutely right!" Guess they don't teach contractions either.

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #26 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A HUGE X2! Thanks for pointing this out. Whenever I see a 'u' or a '4' (for), just to name two, I say to myself (actually sometimes out loud) "It would've taken so much more time to type a 'y' and 'o' or the word 'for' now, wouldn't it?"

By the way, shouldn't that be "...there aren't luckily many here..."?
regular_smile .gif

Hah, you got me there.
redface.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #27 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah, you got me there.
redface.gif

That's cause I could tell by your avatar that you had a sense of humor!
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #29 of 100
One problem i see is that i rarely use a pc to browse forums, so all my posts are do using virtual keyboards with preddictive text, and the number of times it changes my words is most annoying. And i can assure you editing using a stylus and touch screen is tricky. What is most important is the clarity of the post.

Like many native English speakers, i only encountered grammer when learning a second language! My Spanish grammer is excellent.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #30 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One problem i see is that i rarely use a pc to browse forums, so all my posts are do using virtual keyboards with preddictive text, and the number of times it changes my words is most annoying. And i can assure you editing using a stylus and touch screen is tricky. What is most important is the clarity of the post.

Like many native English speakers, i only encountered grammer when learning a second language! My Spanish grammer is excellent.

I doubt you only encounter grammar when learning a second language. As a native speaker, you know when something "doesn't sound right". That's grammar at work, it's just a different notion of grammar than you might've had beaten into you in grade school.

For instance, you know, even if not consciously, that most triple center-embeddings (where you embed at least, if not more, than three clauses in each other) sound weird: "The cheese that the rat that the cat chased wanted is smelly." Bet you never learned not to construct those things when you were taught English grammar though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back