these grammar is for sure sucks nowaday bigtime. u agre?
Oct 29, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #47 of 100
Don't post then
smily_headphones1.gif
Your just encouraging us.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #48 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why this thread is here anyway? It should be in "Member's lounge" or, even better, in trash can.

Because it was early... and I was tired... and hadn't gotten any coffee yet... and probably shouldn't have posted this in the first place.

New self-imposed rule: no head-fi before coffee.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #49 of 100
This thread is good to have. There are many who don't speak English natively and thus can't write correctly. But that's also the reason why people should put some effort to writings. Good written English is easier to understand than badly written. I think I'll start ignoring these folkheads who intentionally write crappy language. :angry:

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #50 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightStalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't post then
smily_headphones1.gif
Your just encouraging us.

No, you mean, "You're just encouraging us."

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #51 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Point taken... and it is a good one.

To a point (no pun intended). No one's bashing the international community for their less-than-perfect English. Any fair-minded person understands that there will be imperfections in non-native Americans' English communication skills (although I am continually amazed at how well-spoken many international head-fiers actually are). No...we're talking about ole' born-in-the-USA Americans who, in plain English, don't give a c**p about how they express themselves and, as I said in a prior post, show little or no respect for their native language and its correct usage. Period.

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #52 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To a point (no pun intended). No one's bashing the international community for their less-than-perfect English. Any fair-minded person understands that there will be imperfections in non-native Americans' English communication skills (although I am continually amazed at how well-spoken many international head-fiers actually are). No...we're talking about ole' born-in-the-USA Americans who, in plain English, don't give a c**p about how they express themselves and, as I said in a prior post, show little or no respect for their native language and its correct usage. Period.

Errr...may I point out that Americans aren't the only people who speak English. I believe a few people in England speak it as well, not to mention Canada, New Zealand...and even here in OZ we speak it, oddly enough. And that's not to mention all those countries who have their own language yet learn English as a matter of course and are as proficient as you or I. English is now the world language, or as near as we'll ever get to one. The odd thing is, that those born in countries where it's a first and only language are often the worst speakers of it...speak it worst..er...don't talk good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise, I agree entirely with your sentiments.

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #53 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Errr...may I point out that Americans aren't the only people who speak English. I believe a few people in England speak it as well, not to mention Canada, New Zealand...and even here in OZ we speak it, oddly enough. And that's not to mention all those countries who have their own language yet learn English as a matter of course and are as proficient as you or I. English is now the world language, or as near as we'll ever get to one. The odd thing is, that those born in countries where it's a first and only language are often the worst speakers of it...speak it worst..er...don't talk good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise, I agree entirely with your sentiments.

No, I think that his point was that the majority of these errors are coming from Americans, specifically. The rest uv yous speek good, jest not us.

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #54 of 100
maybe wecan just give a typing and basic grammar quiz before your first post? Maybe that would make people happy. I tell you my iPhone spellcheck/word finisher fails with an F-
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #55 of 100
Quote:

I won't go pointing any fingers, but is it just me or has the average person's ability to form grammatical phrases gone swiftly and quietly down the porcelain hole? I can't even begin to come up with a reasonable explanation for some of the errors I've seen.

I've noticed this in the past months... it has probably always been there, but I've just noticed it recently....

Sad days.
frown.gif

Me no england.....
tongue.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #56 of 100
On the brightside, if you think some people type and phrase sentences poorly, you should here them talk. I'm the first culprit. I'm from RI and if you think Boston is bad ,notfanuthin' you ain't heard nuthin yet. Just tellin' someone to pahk the cah, is an effort in futility.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #57 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by bce22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the brightside, if you think some people type and phrase sentences poorly, you should here them talk. I'm the first culprit. I'm from RI and if you think Boston is bad ,notfanuthin' you ain't heard nuthin yet. Just tellin' someone to pahk the cah, is an effort in futility.

That I don't mind, actually. I realize that there are different dialects, and I also recognize the futility of trying to pin down a "standard", "correct" dialect of any particular language group.

I guess I was more struck by what seems to be a sharp decline in the rigor that's put into general grammar education. I feel blessed that I have received what I think to be a decent education in this area, and in no way whatsoever do I think any less of people who haven't, but it does upset me that grammar is no longer taught to the same standard as it once was in the average American school... or math... or science... or... or... or... or... etc.
frown.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #58 of 100
Quote:

That I don't mind, actually. I realize that there are different dialects, and I also recognize the futility of trying to pin down a "standard", "correct" dialect of any particular language group.

I guess I was more struck by what seems to be a sharp decline in the rigor that's put into general grammar education. I feel blessed that I have received what I think to be a decent education in this area, and in no way whatsoever do I think any less of people who haven't, but it does upset me that grammar is no longer taught to the same standard as it once was in the average American school... or math... or science... or... or... or... or... etc.
frown.gif

In all seriousness, Amen to that. All the more reason that if your from the US to express your vote and communicate with your public officials. If you haven't already Nov. 4th ain't a bad time to start. And wow has this thread meandered on a tangent.

Peace All,

Brad

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #59 of 100
Quote:

No, I think that his point was that the majority of these errors are coming from Americans, specifically. The rest uv yous speek good, jest not us.

Yes...that was the point I was trying to make. Thanks, TopPop.

pp312, you're absolutely correct about the prevalence of English around the world. And as I read your post, you're kind of helping make my case. Except, in this instance, I'm really referring to written communication skills, since that's the way we communicate in these forums. I just feel that the prevalence of IM-speak, texting (I have never texted anyone or anything in my life), and the need to get one's thoughts and ideas out instantly, has contributed to a shorthand of sorts that has gotten out of hand. Kind of an abbreviation-oriented society. I guess I'm sort of old-school about this stuff, but I do feel it's an unhealthy trend that doesn't get enough attention and, ultimately, will have a significant effect on our culture.

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #60 of 100
While I don't disagree with the premise of this thread, and do acknowledge having experienced some degree frustration in this regard as well, I've always believed that the best I can possibly do to combat the problem is to lead by example.

It is difficult to know whether my posts (or those made by others who share these concerns) may positively affect the efforts made by others to improve their communication skills. Yet, each and every carefully constructed post represents a vote in favor of intelligent discourse. Whether this ultimately proves to be a successful campaign is another matter altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back