These E188CC - worth it in EMP?
Mar 23, 2004 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Spent&Bent

500+ Head-Fier
Out of boredom I was sniping on some tubes and I got this win out of a batch of tries..... 12,50 euro isn't too much for a quad I think.

What I would like to know are these useable on my earmax pro and if so are they any good? thanks.

here is the ebay page

Mar 23, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 8
They are usable as the output tubes in the EMP (the E188CC is also known as the 7308). This is a long-life premium variant of the 6DJ8 family. The tubes are made in the same Philips plant that made a lot of Amperex and Mullard tubes. Some of the tubes that came from that plant are fantastic, others are less good. Please report on these when you get them.
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 8
You can look here:

http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/index.php

Sorry, it is not a tube that is a substitute for ECC88. If it will work I don't know but it is not a simple and safe alternative. Maybe you can find out something by studying the tube data.

Burning up the amp might be a cure for boredom!
frown.gif

Edit: Seems better to consult Hirsch than the TDSL Tube Data page!

Mar 23, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 8
Hirsch is right -- the E188CC is a long-life version of the E88CC and absolutely unproblematic with the EMP. Unfortunately with tubes high-quality version doesn't necessarily mean higher sound quality, just longer life. I have some Telefunken E188CC, and although not bad, the E88CC sound better.

peacesign.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 8
Otherwise, I have found the tube information page useful when looking up tube alternatives.

I am now testing the EMP with Russian output tubes 6H23N-EB as they are called in American transcription (got the tubes from JaZZ, thanks!). The guys who have made up this transcription have guessed from how the Russian characters looks, it should be 6N23P-EV.

They sound good and seem to fit well with Grado but this is preliminary becuase the sound is still changing. I am breaking in both the tubes and a DAC. They are a little noisy but I have not yet found a tube that has as low noise as I would like.
I will report back on the Russian tubes.

Mar 23, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 8
Hirsch, thanks for your reply, I will report on them when I have them, it will be fun for me comparing them to my other tube sets.

Anders, thanks for the warning I would not want to waste such a fine amp!
redface.gif
, in this case it seemed a pretty safe replacement to begin with I gathered from the comments found on the web I read before bidding, but maybe the EMP has specific requirements, better be safe then sorry indeed.
I also have some russian tubes btw, they sound nice to my ears with a familiar sound a bit more RA-1 like.
In the end though I'd first burn out all my amperex before using the sovteks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jazz, thanks I will see, what you say is pretty much the same as I have read on them, still with the siemens-halske CCa and telefunken E88CC so expensive they seem like a decent alternative if not using amperex PQ

Mar 24, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Anders
Someone knows if one can destroy the amp with incompatible tubes or only the tubes? The last alternative would be much more tolerable.

Yes, you can hurt an amp with incompatible tubes.

That doesn't apply in this case, as the E188CC is completely compatible with the EMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back