These crazy, curly lightbulbs you keep seeing everywhere...
Dec 28, 2010 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

crazyface

100+ Head-Fier
So they're supposed to last for years or something, I guess - but for me they all just start randomly dying about four months after installation.  Is there something wrong with my ceiling fan or are these longevity claims just crap - or what?  I'm just getting tired of buying so many of these things and seeing them go just as fast as the other bulbs did.
What's up with that?!  
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 67
They're awful and I hate them. Every one I've had has died within a few months. Furthermore they take ages to reach full brightness which makes me want to leave them on all the time, probably negating the effects of increased energy efficiency.

Soon I won't have a choice however since our government has decided to phase out the original incandescent bulbs.

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 67
Quote:
They are more energy efficient, they aren't advertised AFAIK to last longer than the other bulbs.

Yep. However, the last fluorescent bulb I replaced early this year last almost 8 year, used about 6 hours daily and doubled the rated 8000hrs life. The thing about fluorescent bulb is they are sensitive to power surge, even a small one. So if the power supply is unstable, they can die fairly quick.

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 67
They last way longer that your standard bulbs in optimal conditions which are:

1. A dry place
  2. a good electrical network (no power surges for example)
  3. switching them on and off decreases their life span.

In short use them in you living room, you bedrooms and your kitchen, paces like corridors and bathrooms are bad for them. In these conditions, mine last a very long time.
Oh don't forget to check the color rendition index (CRI), it indicates how close to daylight the light of the bulb is.

Quote:
So they're supposed to last for years or something, I guess - but for me they all just start randomly dying about four months after installation.  Is there something wrong with my ceiling fan or are these longevity claims just crap - or what?  I'm just getting tired of buying so many of these things and seeing them go just as fast as the other bulbs did.
What's up with that?!  
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #8 of 67
So, what you are saying is that they dont last that long in real life. Because the optimal conditions you are listing is rather rare isent they?

Quote:
They last way longer that your standard bulbs in optimal conditions which are:

1. A dry place
  2. a good electrical network (no power surges for example)
  3. switching them on and off decreases their life span.

In short use them in you living room, you bedrooms and your kitchen, paces like corridors and bathrooms are bad for them. In these conditions, mine last a very long time.
Oh don't forget to check the color rendition index (CRI), it indicates how close to daylight the light of the bulb is.

Quote:
What's up with that?!  
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #9 of 67
No, they are exactly the the fluorescent tubes we often see in schools, hospitals, factories... and they  do las t fairly long time in hose environments.

It's just a matter of choosing where to use them, rooms where the light stays continuously on for more than an hour, in those conditions 7/8 years lifespan (3-4 hours everyday) is highly probable,

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #10 of 67
Lasts 7-8years on for 3-4hours every day. I have so hard to belive that and i have tried a lot of them and if i`m lucky they last for a year if they stays 2 years it`s a miracle. the worst one lasted for about 2hours i think. 

Quote:
No, they are exactly the the fluorescent tubes we often see in schools, hospitals, factories... and they  do las t fairly long time in hose environments.

It's just a matter of choosing where to use them, rooms where the light stays continuously on for more than an hour, in those conditions 7/8 years lifespan (3-4 hours everyday) is highly probable,

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #11 of 67
You have to realize there is a difference between fluorescent tube and bulb. The bulb style need to cut corner by using smaller components in order to make it small enough to fit the bulb socket, which makes them more sensitive to power surge and on/off action, thus decreasing their effective lifespan. Fluorescent tube generally last much longer because they have more robust components and doesn't get turn on/off so frequently, so they see less wear and tear. Fluorescent tubes in my house easily lasts 5~10 years and generally over the manufacturer rated lifespan.

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #12 of 67
Yes, they are not as resistant as fluorescent tubes, but provided you don't switch them on and off too often, 10 thousand hours is reachable fairly easily.

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #13 of 67
I have spiral bulbs in my house that are 5+ years old and get used often, one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen, two in the lamp next to my desk. They all see daily use and a lot of off and on. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #15 of 67
The newer ones seem to work better than the older ones. Better color, faster getting fully bright etc. The area I live in has fairly horrendous surges, and the CFs last a lot longer than incandescents do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back