Theoretical : Would you want an "audiophile eardrum replacement" surgery?
Mar 1, 2007 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

mofonyx

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

What if I became a world class plastic surgeon, spent years of research and found out how to come up with a prosthetic audiophile eardrum to allow you to hear more than you already can.

Change the liquid in your cochlea to increase the sensitivity to vibration and allow you to listen more clearly and accurately to the music and sounds around you.

Would you want the surgery? Are you that crazy?

Lets put a theoretical cost of $100,000.

In this theoretical situation, there are no risks, I am that damn good that I would not damage your ear.

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 34
Ah ha ha, the music I listen to would never be considered "audiophile". I would just end up finding more recording and mastering errors. Nope, ignorance is bliss in my case...

...now if you could discover a way for people to become more immersed in music and experience it in a more vivid way, I'd think about it.

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...now if you could discover a way for people to become more immersed in music and experience it in a more vivid way, I'd think about it.

There's stuff that does that! But I don't think it's legal yet in California.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 34
I wouldn't pay $100,000 to try to improve on something that will degrade year after year. But I would pay for wax removal
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #8 of 34
There is already super vision by the way, but I'm not quite sure what the numbers is, apparently they implant a device on to the back of your eye and have the circuitry run to your brain to transmit the impulses.

We all have 20/20 vision but this implantation gives you 20/1400 or something like that. So you have perfect vision like someone who doesn't wear glasses, but your eyesight can be pushed even further to give super vision. I'm not exactly clear on the details though, because I read this article ages back, maybe 3 - 4 years ago.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 34
I would pay a lot, but not that much

and i wouldn't pay a cent if it caused things to change much. if it makes my loved ones sound different, then i dont want it. it'd corrupt all my memories

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #10 of 34
Probably not. Even if the music was better, it'd probably be irritating in other aspects of life. You'd start hearing all sorts of additional noises in your car, your neighbor's TV even if they're not listening to it loud, and so on. Increased sensitivity would probably be a negative effect overall.

Unless, of course, you can get a new Nordost auditory nerve.

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 34
Nah, thanks.

I would rather install something like a noise sharpening plug-in and see how that helps.

Most likely it will just be annoying to hear too much. It would most likely go to waste either way. Just go to 1 or 2 concerts...

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 34
You can always come back to me and I'll tune it up for you.

And yes of course you'll get the Nordst Vestibularcochlea nerve. I would have to drill into your skull first though to change it, that would cost you another $100,000

What I was trying to get through was that you don't necessarily hear more, just that your rendition of sound waves is more accurate, i.e. your ears have perfect pitch, if that gives you an idea of the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back