Theoretical : Would you want an "audiophile eardrum replacement" surgery?
Mar 1, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #16 of 34
What a good poll. I was just thinking about the exact thing today.

I was comparing the sense of hearing and the sense of sight. Everyone knows about laser corrective surgery for eyes but no one has made any advancements on hearing improvements.

I fear very much the day I grow older and naturally lose a little of my hearing. If there was technological advancements similar to corrective laser surgery for the ear, I would definitely invest!

Mar 1, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes! Then I could be more like Legolas!
edit: can we have sweet super-vision too?!

And then you look closely and realize how ugly people's skin really is, you can also see a whole civilization living on the bottom of your bathtub.

Though if it was 100k for both senses, ill do it.

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We all have 20/20 vision but this implantation gives you 20/1400 or something like that.

Sorry to get nitpicky here, but you have it backwards. The smaller the bottom number is, the better your vision. What 20/1400 means is that what someone with 20/20 vision can see at 1400 ft, you will need to stand 20 ft away from to see it. This is way beyond legally blind, which if I recall starts at 20/200. What you meant to say was 20/1 or something, but then we have to get into things like the Dawes Limit and Rayleigh Criterion and what not...

To answer the question of the poll, at $100000, it just wouldn't be cost effective in my opinion. I don't need to be able to tell how many nostril hairs the cellist has nor the material composition of the stage they are sitting on. In my opinion, when you get to that point, you end up losing the emotion of music and concentrating on the physical aspect of the sound waves. Sorry, but it's just not for me.

Aditya

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #21 of 34
i chose no; however, i'm pretty sure in the far-off future i will get surgery for tinnitus. until then, i'll just hope that the hearing in my right ear goes out a bit so my left and right ears are equal again!

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to get nitpicky here, but you have it backwards. The smaller the bottom number is, the better your vision. What 20/1400 means is that what someone with 20/20 vision can see at 1400 ft, you will need to stand 20 ft away from to see it. This is way beyond legally blind, which if I recall starts at 20/200. What you meant to say was 20/1 or something, but then we have to get into things like the Dawes Limit and Rayleigh Criterion and what not...

Aditya

I must have the numbers mixed up, it was a looong time ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$100,000? That's way too much...surgeries today go for less than that, far less in many cases.

I have to feed on the crazy expenditures of the regular audiophile who is willing to spend a fortune on cables, i.e. Patrick42.

Mar 7, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #23 of 34
I don't think so. There would no longer be any excuse for selective hearing. i.e. She who must be obeyed.
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #24 of 34
While I would pay for better hearing, I will never be able to afford $100k elective surgery without winning a Mega-Millions lottery. Sorry.

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #25 of 34
Right now... no I wouldn't. Ask me again in 50 years and I'm deaf, I'll probably give you a different answer.

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #27 of 34
$100K to undo plus some the decades of damage I did to my ears, yet I still retain the memories of the life I led of the visceral musical experiences I had while doing the damage? ...Sounds like I'm making out like a bandit.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #28 of 34
I don't even have custom IEMs yet despite all the good press they get, so apparently I'm reluctant to buy things I can't readily audition.

But on the whole, would I want this? Sure, if I could be sure it would meet some of my goals. Fantastic audophile hearing? Fantastic everyday hearing? Squelch? Mute? Overvolume protection? Sign me up. I'll take the underwater-clarity option too while I'm at it.

I'd be a late adopter, though. I want to skip the first couple generations of upgrades. I want the first one I get to be "good enough" so that I can live with it for a while.

Even then, I'm sure there'll be dozens of folks on the board always getting the latest and greatest. "The upgraded power supply really makes a difference!" "Yeah, and I just got mine woodied and re-nerved!" "Those high-bandwidth dolphin nerves?" "No, whale. You should hear the BASS!"

After all, the forum's called Head-Fi. Why aren't more of you into this? In another 30 years I bet this won't even be extreme body modification.

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #30 of 34
No, but I've always wanted to have my bones replaced with titanium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back