Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #3,976 of 12,550
ah this thread. Full of fun people 
size]

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #3,977 of 12,550
There's far too many types of cheese to even start down that road! I don't know the names - I just put it on the cracker, take a bite, then take a drink from the wine glass. Repeat until the dining room is open.

I love sushi, but I'm not very adventurous with my selections. I love salmon & all types of toro, and good scallops - but I don't really like unagi or most of the other types of fish. Every time I think about trying something new, I start thinking about how much I love salmon - and I just fall back on what I know. I also like the simple tourist rolls - like a California roll wrapped in salmon and drizzled with eel sauce, or a lobster roll with spicy mayo.

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #3,978 of 12,550
Quote:
I also like the simple tourist rolls - like a California roll wrapped in salmon and drizzled with eel sauce, or a lobster roll with spicy mayo.

Ahh... you like fusion sushi.  Okay, next time you're in my neck of the woods, we need to get you a BMCR at the local dive near me.  It's baked scallop, salmon, whitefish, mushroom, crab and sweet eel sauce on top of a california roll.  No pineapple.

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #3,979 of 12,550
Ahh... you like fusion sushi.  Okay, next time you're in my neck of the woods, we need to get you a BMCR at the local dive near me.  It's baked scallop, salmon, whitefish, mushroom, crab and sweet eel sauce on top of a california roll.  No pineapple.

Sounds great!! I prefer no cucumber in the California roll... :D

My favorite scene from "Defending Your Life"

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNibyNS7AEI[/VIDEO]

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #3,980 of 12,550
Quote:

That sounded really good until I reached mushroom. I don't have anything against mushrooms, but I remember having a piece of sushi with mushroom--it was just a strip of mushroom over rice wrapped with seaweed, rather than a roll--and I wasn't particularly impressed with it. Maybe with the eel sauce it would improve.

Speaking of which, do you (or anybody else reading) have a clue what's in sweet eel sauce? It's one of my favorite sauces, and it seems to be reasonably standardized everywhere I've had it, so there's a definite basic set of ingredients and preparation involved. I've never managed to make anything even approaching it in flavor.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #3,981 of 12,550

That sounded really good until I reached mushroom. I don't have anything against mushrooms, but I remember having a piece of sushi with mushroom--it was just a strip of mushroom over rice wrapped with seaweed, rather than a roll--and I wasn't particularly impressed with it. Maybe with the eel sauce it would improve.

Speaking of which, do you (or anybody else reading) have a clue what's in sweet eel sauce? It's one of my favorite sauces, and it seems to be reasonably standardized everywhere I've had it, so there's a definite basic set of ingredients and preparation involved. I've never managed to make anything even approaching it in flavor.

1. Eel
2. Sugar
3. Water

At least, that's how us horse-folk make it.

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #3,982 of 12,550
Mar 27, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #3,983 of 12,550
Why didn't you say so!
1. Sugar
2. Super-secret ingrediant
3. Water

And I believe gentlemen, that is how its done.

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #3,984 of 12,550
I always thought teriyaki ingredients (soy sauce, mirin, sugar) were involved, though I've never had much success with it myself. As with most things in cooking, I imagine the issue isn't ingredients, but proportions.

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #3,985 of 12,550
I was always under the impression that all the sauces (unagi, ponzu, spicy mayo, etc) as well as the sushi rice, were all a little different from restaurant to restaurant because they are a point of pride of the sushi chef. If the chef is getting his sauce out of a jug, it's probably time to find a different sushi bar! :p

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #3,987 of 12,550
I LOVE cheese, especially cheesecake.
A good blue vein or stilton is nice with lavosh crackers.....  and pineapple.

Has anyone here tried a bowl of vanilla icecream with about 6 to 8 drops of terriyaki sauce stirred in?

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #3,988 of 12,550
Quote:
I LOVE cheese, especially cheesecake.
A good blue vein or stilton is nice with lavosh crackers.....  and pineapple.

Has anyone here tried a bowl of vanilla icecream with about 6 to 8 drops of terriyaki sauce stirred in?

go by me again? That sounds pretty good now that I think about it. 

O chessecake... I need to eat one of those. Forgotten the taste. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #3,989 of 12,550
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds great!! I prefer no cucumber in the California roll...
biggrin.gif

My favorite scene from "Defending Your Life"

No cucumber, I gotcha.  Guessing you feel similarly about a wide variety of melons?

And you like Defending Your Life?!?!?!  I never thought I'd meet another soul that did!  We needs to be the brothas from another mothas.

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm, outside of the mellow smoky/earthy flavor that mushrooms impart, I think the bulk of the experience is textural.  Maybe they give you a particularly limp bit of fungus?  How do you feel about enoki?

Hmm, I have no idea what might be in eel sauce, though I'd hazard a guess that there aren't any eels in it (like oyster sauce).

BTW guys, if you're ever looking to try a fabulous cheesecake, I happen to have a coffee & Kahlua cheesecake recipe that has always been a big hit whenever I've made it.  Remind me to dig it out and post it if you guys ever want to try it out.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #3,990 of 12,550
No cucumber, I gotcha.  Guessing you feel similarly about a wide variety of melons?

And you like Defending Your Life?!?!?!  I never thought I'd meet another soul that did!  We needs to be the brothas from another mothas.

Wait - wut? What the heck does cucumber have to do with melons? I love melons - big ones, small ones, pink ones, any flavor - as long as they are plump and juicy - please just no dried-up or saggy ones...

Defending your life is a great movie! Just like my favorite type of fiction, It is exactly the right combination of weird concept + humor. Analogous to HHGTG or Discworld.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back