Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016.
Oct 5, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #77 of 1,185
Anyome compared SE and balanced?

I haven't done too much of critical listening, waiting for the next fw release (from Opus#1 experience, sound has changed with follow up fw updates).  But initial impression, BAL definitely has more power and soundstage expansion is more holographic.  Otherwise, it's similar.

Are you thinking about getting one?

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #78 of 1,185
I haven't done too much of critical listening, waiting for the next fw release (from Opus#1 experience, sound has changed with follow up fw updates).  But initial impression, BAL definitely has more power and soundstage expansion is more holographic.  Otherwise, it's similar.

I'm considering between some options, and the opus 2 single ended was extremely impressive. Would you say though that the gains from going balanced on the opus 2 is similar to what you get going balanced on the opus 1? While I found the balanced output on the opus 1 to be better, it was not a big difference it was more of a slight improvement to me

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #79 of 1,185

I'm considering between some options, and the opus 2 single ended was extremely impressive. Would you say though that the gains from going balanced on the opus 2 is similar to what you get going balanced on the opus 1? While I found the balanced output on the opus 1 to be better, it was not a big difference it was more of a slight improvement to me

Same here, I typically don't hear night'n'day difference going from SE to Bal except for increased power and wider soundstage (inherited from a better control of L/R separation due to head-amp architecture).  There are differences for sure, such as better crosstalk and snr figures, less noise coupling (due to hot/cold diff signal instead of being referenced to the ground), and in some cases a more noticeable difference when playing hi-res DSD files.  Still, if DAP supports bal output, I typically use it with my 2.5mm cables; most of my after-market cables are terminated with 2.5mm TRRS and come with 3.5mm TRS adapter.

What are the other options you considering?  I'm yet to read a comparison of Opus#2 to AK380; don't have access to 380, but every time I read impressions - it just screams at me that Opus#2 can go head-to-head with it in sound quality (maybe not CU but a regular version).  And who knows what the next Opus#2 fw update going to bring, and if it's going to scale up the sound quality.  With A&K bringing TIDAL streaming, I think theBit guys need to hurry up and deliver Android mode to be able to install apps, such as Spotify and Tidal and maybe support for other 3rd party apps.

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #80 of 1,185
I am not a fan of the 380, it sounds lifeless (doesn't hit hard and lacks dynamics) and layers poorly. The copper version though is pretty good.

I would still rate the paw gold as being the most transparent and resolving DAP on the market to be honest. I'm looking at the Sony players too.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #81 of 1,185
Same here, I typically don't hear night'n'day difference going from SE to Bal except for increased power and wider soundstage (inherited from a better control of L/R separation due to head-amp architecture).  There are differences for sure, such as better crosstalk and snr figures, less noise coupling (due to hot/cold diff signal instead of being referenced to the ground), and in some cases a more noticeable difference when playing hi-res DSD files.  Still, if DAP supports bal output, I typically use it with my 2.5mm cables; most of my after-market cables are terminated with 2.5mm TRRS and come with 3.5mm TRS adapter.

What are the other options you considering?  I'm yet to read a comparison of Opus#2 to AK380; don't have access to 380, but every time I read impressions - it just screams at me that Opus#2 can go head-to-head with it in sound quality (maybe not CU but a regular version).  And who knows what the next Opus#2 fw update going to bring, and if it's going to scale up the sound quality.  With A&K bringing TIDAL streaming, I think theBit guys need to hurry up and deliver Android mode to be able to install apps, such as Spotify and Tidal and maybe support for other 3rd party apps.

Have you tried the Opus 2 with any full size headphones or hard to drive IEMs? I always use the high gain setting, and it just seems like it doesnt have much power to drive full size cans since I have to use High gain for every IEM i have.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #82 of 1,185

Have you tried the Opus 2 with any full size headphones or hard to drive IEMs? I always use the high gain setting, and it just seems like it doesnt have much power to drive full size cans since I have to use High gain for every IEM i have.

Will test it tonight with 320 ohm Zens, 470 ohm R70x, and a few of my planars to let you know, if I don't forget
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #83 of 1,185
I am not a fan of the 380, it sounds lifeless (doesn't hit hard and lacks dynamics) and layers poorly. The copper version though is pretty good.

I would still rate the paw gold as being the most transparent and resolving DAP on the market to be honest. I'm looking at the Sony players too.

I love LPG as well, but prefer to use it only when I'm testing and analyzing earphones/headphones.  Indeed, it's very transparent and resolving, and HO output is as wide as majority of other DAPs I tested with Bal output.  But quite often I find it a bit too revealing and analytical (though not in a bright-harsh way) where I prefer something smoother, more organic, and still resolving and with a decent layering/separation.  Plus, since i have been listening to Zeus-R a lot lately, I need to cut down on hissing.  That's where Opus#2 comes into the picture.  I feel like I'm cheating on Opus#1 when I'm making that choice lol!!!  Btw, another one which has been getting a lot of my attention when I'm on the go is Plenue M2, but only because of its jefeffect7 dsp effect which are seriously good.

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #85 of 1,185
There's a couple of these on Amazon for sale at the price of 1599.00 a piece. I want one!

Just to confirm, the one for sale on Amazon (here) is from MusicTeck who are the official US distributor of theBit Opus#1, Opus#2, and Opus#11.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #87 of 1,185
I know theBit is working on a new FW version for Opus#2, to be released soon.  Can't wait!  But, I also just noticed on http://www.audio-opus.com/ website they updated with the following:

"Opus#2 will allow you to stream your favorite music via streaming service and enjoy all benefits utilizing its Wi-fi and Bluetooth functions."

Finally, an acknowledgement about wifi streaming!!!  The initial fw release of Opus#2 doesn't have it enabled yet.  I have received a lot of questions asking me when am I going to finish Opus#2 review.  Even so I have been using Opus#2 for a month now (almost every day, and even more often then PAW Gold), I'm waiting for the next fw update before starting the review.  In terms of the sound quality and the build quality (no hype) it already surpassed all the other daps I have reviewed.  But from my Opus#1 experience, the firmware updates did affect sound signature.  So, I want to wait until the next Opus#2 OTA fw update is released to see/hear which direction they are going and what new features they are going to unlock, including wifi and streaming.

Also, since a few people asked me about this again, Opus#2 has been officially released and available on Amazon (here) from MusicTeck who is their official US distributor.

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #89 of 1,185
On their Facebook page there is a preview for a new Opus#1 firmware.

It kooks quite extensive!

Exciting

They are upgrading to Android Lollipop version, and now Opus#1 interface will look nearly the same as Opus#2.  Now, that is cool!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back