Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016.
Sep 23, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #47 of 1,185
  MusicTeck now has the Opus 2 for sale. I own the Opus 1 but this looks too good to not order. Today is a good day. 

Don't see it there. Anyway to post a link?

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #48 of 1,185
Sep 23, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #51 of 1,185
Sep 23, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #52 of 1,185
Would've been sold but only one card slot. Sigh... I'll stick with my Opus 1 for now.

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #53 of 1,185
Would've been sold but only one card slot. Sigh... I'll stick with my Opus 1 for now.

Yeah, I'm also thinking about the logic behind it.  I guess you have 128GB of internal memory and can expand it with up to 256GB micoSD card.  What I'm hoping for is a proper implementation of wifi to enable streaming.  Waiting for the new fw update, whenever it becomes available, to see what is next

One thing for sure, the hardware is solid, this thing is built like a tank.  Touch screen is very responsive.  I really like volume knob implementation, it's not too tight and at the same time not as sensitive where you can bump it a little bit and the volume won't change until you turn it more with a click feedback.  Leather case is gorgeous, of course by Dignis.  The most important - sound quality after burn in is really shining now.  This is truly in a summit-fi category.  It's not exactly like LPG.  PAW Gold is more analytical, more reference, while Opus#2 has more body and is more musical, but both are very resolving, excellent retrieval of details, expanded soundstage, and Opus#2 actually has less hissing.

Sep 23, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #54 of 1,185
Sounds impressive! I wouldn't have even minded a single full size card vs 2 micro slots. Unfortunately, my music library keeps expanding especially now listening to DSD... So unfortunately at this time I'm gonna pass.

Sep 23, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #55 of 1,185
Hello -

Do you know if the #2's battery is replaceable? For me, it's a paramount concern. Yes, I realize the Opus 2's battery isn't user-accessible, but I hope it's possible to have a technician service it. Indeed, I've heard that even the pros can't replace the batteries in Sony's new DAPs, and I think it's criminal.

My other question is about driving power, as the spec list on the first page doesn't include output power ratings. I'd want to pair the #2 with reasonably power-hungry headphones, but I'm a single-box kind of person--I can't lug amps. How well could I expect to drive large cans?

Best regards,
Brian

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #56 of 1,185
  Hello -

Do you know if the #2's battery is replaceable? For me, it's a paramount concern. Yes, I realize the Opus 2's battery isn't user-accessible, but I hope it's possible to have a technician service it. Indeed, I've heard that even the pros can't replace the batteries in Sony's new DAPs, and I think it's criminal.

My other question is about driving power, as the spec list on the first page doesn't include output power ratings. I'd want to pair the #2 with reasonably power-hungry headphones, but I'm a single-box kind of person--I can't lug amps. How well could I expect to drive large cans?

Best regards,
Brian

You will get plenty of power, depending on your headphone requirements, of course..  The balanced output is 2.5Vrms which should translate approximately into 390mW @16 ohm.

Regarding battery, as you know nobody has a replaceable battery now. In terms of a design, you have easily accessible 4 corner screws.  Perhaps, if you are careful, the DAP can be opened for service to replace the battery, but most likely the warranty will be voided.  But then, by the time you need to replace the battery - it will be long after the warranty expires :wink:

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #58 of 1,185
Changing battery on everyday basis is not the concern here. It's the concern of turning this gadget into a very expensive paper weight once the battery is dead. They should make it easier to open the gadget so batteries can be replaced handily.

Agreed--quite right!

If I buy a product, I expect to use it until it fails. Should my newfangled gadget stop working ten years from now, great--there shouldn't be any reason not to enjoy it. Yet it now seems culturally acceptable to discard a perfectly functional device for any number of trivial justifications, dead battery and otherwise. 

Disgusting.

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #59 of 1,185
Changing battery on everyday basis is not the concern here. It's the concern of turning this gadget into a very expensive paper weight once the battery is dead. They should make it easier to open the gadget so batteries can be replaced handily.

Nice wishful thinking, but when there hasn't been any DAP manufacturer who followed this philosophy in the last few years (not counting old iBasso dap models), and even popular phone manufacturers switching to non-removable batteries - I don't think anything going to change.  These DAPs come with a year warranty where you shouldn't have any problem with a battery, unless there is a defect.  Plus, the flood of new releases is overwhelming and as result nobody keeps the same DAP for years.  What I would like to see is an improvement in battery life, rather than replacement batteries.

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #60 of 1,185
Improving the capacity/size ratio in batteries is a good thing, as is decreasing the power needs of the DAP. However, I think incorporating a cell phone battery which is of small size and high capacity is very doable. I prefer devices which do not encourage planned obsolescence. I tend to upgrade when the technology has advanced sufficiently where an upgrade is warranted, hopefully not because I used my current product so much that the battery is no longer capable of holding a charge. Now if the battery is capable of being recharged to full power for decades, well, that would most likely be sufficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back