Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016.
Sep 11, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #16 of 1,185
Internal memory is 128GB, then you add on a 200GB micro SD card.

Well, as others said, higher pricepoint for lower memory = ****ty policy, the same that A&K, Cowon and Fiio followed recently with high-end models...
At 1000+$, it's 2 slots or at least 256Gb internal.

I'm really disppointed in all these new DAPs. The high-end spec sheet has been stuck for 5 years.
As much as I want to believe in SQ, I believe in measurable specs a lot more. And DSD capapbilities don't count, since the catalog is more than confidential.

And a message for all our DAP marketing friends: hi-res = more memory needed, if you really want to sell your DSD **** format. Even a FLAC collection is taking at least 400Gb these days.

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #17 of 1,185
All valid points about the storage.  The market is flooded with many new DAPs, and spec difference makes it easier to choose what you need based on your specific requirements.  Some people after solid build and top sound quality, others want expandable storage and wifi access to stream favorite apps, while someone else might want something basic as a transport for their portable DAC/amp or amp.

In a meantime, I posted some teaser pictures of Opus#2 and few initial impressions on my blog HERE.

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #18 of 1,185
  All valid points about the storage.  The market is flooded with many new DAPs, and spec difference makes it easier to choose what you need based on your specific requirements.  Some people after solid build and top sound quality, others want expandable storage and wifi access to stream favorite apps, while someone else might want something basic as a transport for their portable DAC/amp or amp.

In a meantime, I posted some teaser pictures of Opus#2 and few initial impressions on my blog HERE.

Have you ever tried the DP-X1? They have the same DACs (which means nothing) just want to know what differences there are.

Cant wait to read the rest of your review.

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #19 of 1,185

Have you ever tried the DP-X1? They have the same DACs (which means nothing) just want to know what differences there are.

Cant wait to read the rest of your review.

No, never tried DP-X1 or Mojo (the two most frequent question I get
biggrin.gif
).  Based on impressions from other people, many find sound quality Opus#1 to be superior to DP-X1 (could be just a marginal improvement) and I'm hearing Opus#2 as an improvement over Opus#1 (all fw dependent, the gap could easily widen with future tweaks).  The key difference will be in head-amp implementation.  Without testing it myself, I can't tell you for sure about the degree of this difference.  Sorry, don't want to mislead anybody.

Will be a little while before the full review, still have 7 other reviews in my queue to go through
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #20 of 1,185

No, never tried DP-X1 or Mojo (the two most frequent question I get
biggrin.gif
).  Based on impressions from other people, many find sound quality Opus#1 to be superior to DP-X1 (could be just a marginal improvement) and I'm hearing Opus#2 as an improvement over Opus#1 (all fw dependent, the gap could easily widen with future tweaks).  The key difference will be in head-amp implementation.  Without testing it myself, I can't tell you for sure about the degree of this difference.  Sorry, don't want to mislead anybody.

Will be a little while before the full review, still have 7 other reviews in my queue to go through
wink.gif

Thats to bad that you have not heard the DP-X1 its a great, I actually would be one who prefers the Onkyo over the Opus#1 but am in the process of getting a Opus#1 due to the excellent SQ. I do prefer the Opus over the Mojo in SQ.

In your pictures it looks like the buttons are bigger on the #2 compared to #1. 

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #22 of 1,185
Listening to mine now, so far so good and playlist support for those who want it. Battery life is the only issue so far, it doesn't go into deep sleep like the Opus #1 which means it drains quicker whilst in sleep mode.

And when you first turn it on it doesn't remember the last track playing and has to rebuild the library which takes a few minutes, all these can be fixed with firmware I hope,

sound is excellent as you would expect, however I am using it with the AAW Nebula 2, and it's my first listen to them so I cannot judge it's sound yet. I really like the interface and volume control.

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #23 of 1,185
  Listening to mine now, so far so good and playlist support for those who want it. Battery life is the only issue so far, it doesn't go into deep sleep like the Opus #1 which means it drains quicker whilst in sleep mode.

And when you first turn it on it doesn't remember the last track playing and has to rebuild the library which takes a few minutes, all these can be fixed with firmware I hope,

sound is excellent as you would expect, however I am using it with the AAW Nebula 2, and it's my first listen to them so I cannot judge it's sound yet. I really like the interface and volume control.

Try tweaking the settings (pull down notification bar, and pull it down further to reveal quick shortcuts as well as icon for Setting in the upper right corner next to the battery indicator - it's VERY android like).  Mine goes into deep sleep because after a short period of time I can't use external playback controls and it disconnects bluetooth headset, until I turn the screen back on to wake it up.

With a battery life, I'm getting about 9hrs with a screen off playing at max volume using ibasso burn-in wire/load.  I have about 5GB of audio files loaded on internal memory, it does scan at start up (just like with Opus#1) but it takes maybe 30sec or so.  I can imagine that with more files it could take longer?  But of course, we are talking about initial fw release with more tweaks to follow :)

For the sound, give it at least 50-60 hrs of burn in, I noticed improvement after the burn in, especially in the level of detail retrieval and the sound becoming more resolving.  Also, there are 3 gain settings, with IEMs/CIEMs, I liked to keep it on a medium gain.  Also, there are two DSP modes (32bit and 24bit, as well as auto?).  My mind could be playing tricks on me, but while testing with ES60, EURR, and Zeus-R - I hear a more resolving sound in 32bit mode.

Btw, once you connect to wifi, does your clock/date get set correctly?  I'm off due to a different time zone, for some reason :)

Absolutely love the heft of its solid build and the volume control.  It's not as tight and you can slightly turn it without changing the volume, if you brush it by accident, but every volume change comes with a click you can feel.  I also tested Gapless playback which is spot on.  And, EQ control is properly working with real time adjustment of bands as you playing the track (of course, EQ is only on non DSD tracks).  Oh, and tested it up to DSD256 - works good!

The only issue, I still see a problem carried over from Opus#1 where artwork of one song shows up on multiple other songs (which don't have an artwork of their own).

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #24 of 1,185
Time is wrong on mine even after connecting to WiFi...

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #26 of 1,185
Only one microSD? I wonder why they degraded that.

What a deal breaker.

Its design reminds me of one of DX200's unused design.

Because they're just another bunch of greedy people (strange how Koreans DAP munfacturers all use similar marketing tricks, you could think they have worked for iRiver or Cowon previously) thinking that they can grossly overcharge for their new DAP after having released only ONE half-finished DAP.
People can debate about SQ all day long, but the Opus 1 UI is far from being top tier, the screen is donwright awful, autonomy is nothing special.

Opus 2 is bigger, with a design half ripped from AK120 right wheel and crossed with Opus 1, and from the early impressions above, the UI is still very buggy.
But hey, since it is soooooooo expensive, SQ is certainly unbelievable...

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #27 of 1,185
This looks promising. Having a real hard time finding a good dap with excellent sq, streaming abilities and stable UI.

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #28 of 1,185
  This looks promising. Having a real hard time finding a good dap with excellent sq, streaming abilities and stable UI.

No streaming ability :frowning2:  though, I still hope theBit will surprise us in the next FW update.  SQ - among the top I have tested; lately I have been reaching for O#2 over LPG.  For now, I don't want to jump into any final conclusion, and will wait for the next fw update.  From my experience with O#1, which still holds one of the top price/performance/SQ ratios in my book for $599 w/Dignis leather case, every fw update plays an important role in SQ and added features/fixes.

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #29 of 1,185

No streaming ability :frowning2:  though, I still hope theBit will surprise us in the next FW update.  SQ - among the top I have tested; lately I have been reaching for O#2 over LPG.  For now, I don't want to jump into any final conclusion, and will wait for the next fw update.  From my experience with O#1, which still holds one of the top price/performance/SQ ratios in my book for $599 w/Dignis leather case, every fw update plays an important role in SQ and added features/fixes.

Tidal and/or Spotify, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back