Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016.
Dec 9, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #136 of 1,185
  Opus#2 Firmware Update 1.00.03 is HERE: http://www.audio-opus.com/?page_id=15757&uid=216&mod=document

All the same changes as in Opus#1, this is a minor update.  Download was surprisingly fast over OTA. 

The changes:
1. Added "Confirmation" message on selecting Line-Out.
2. Support auto turn off the function of Line-out ( Whenever user plug on/off 3.5 mm audio jack)
3. Support 2 Line display for long folder name(filename) in folder browser screen.
4. Fixed tag issue in m4a

So far, I haven't noticed any difference in sound quality, still at the top of its game!

Just flashed the .01 version yesterday! Did it via pc download, then USB transfer to Opus #2.   Worked fine.

Did the same file transfer technique with the .03, then got the bright idea to also try the OTA version.  Left the download trunning all night on my 2.4G wifi , showing strong connection, 26Mb speed.  It was connected to my USB charger the whole time, while also playing a folder on repeat.  The battery was at 100% this morning, the music was playing fine through my Nighthawks using high gain setting.  Opus was not more than warm to the touch.  But, the screen for OTA showed 18% complete, but the OTA  file was the same size on the internal storage as the USB-transferred one, but was called 'partial ota pack...

So, I deleted both files, reconnected to USB, retransferred the Pack file, and it worked fine.  I now am rockin' verion .03.   I am trying to play it as much as possible, even if I'm not listening to it, to try to get some break-in hours on it.  Liking what I am hearing so far, but the bass needs to fill in a bit more for my taste. It is an interesting contrast to my Lotoo and Questyle players. 

More to follow.

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #137 of 1,185
Hi, anyone feel very long when scanning the sdcard? I have put 200gigs and everytime I turn on the device, it would take some time before I can access my songs in the card. It seems that the dap scanning all over again when its turn on.

Anybody experience the same thing?

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #138 of 1,185
  Hi, anyone feel very long when scanning the sdcard? I have put 200gigs and everytime I turn on the device, it would take some time before I can access my songs in the card. It seems that the dap scanning all over again when its turn on.

Anybody experience the same thing?

How long does your boot up scanning last?  Does it take as long if you have a handful of songs on internal storage only and boot up with uSd card?  In general the boot up takes a little time and always goes through scanning even with internal memory and only 3GB of audio files.  In my case, the total time is just under 30sec, but I don't have too many songs.  But I can imagine that with 200GB uSD full of songs it will take awhile, and indeed, a bit annoying that it does it ever single time.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #140 of 1,185
Hello folks, I will soon be aboard as I am always interested in Balanced out DAP
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you planning to order one or already did?  This is one fantastic DAP.

Btw, anybody else noticed on Amazon (here), the picture of Opus#2 has + SE215 next to it?  It's almost like you get a free SE215 with a purchase or am I reading it wrong?  Nowhere else in the listing it mentions SE215.

... just confirmed, SE215 is included FREE with purchase of Opus#2
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #141 of 1,185
Are you planning to order one or already did?  This is one fantastic DAP.

Btw, anybody else noticed on Amazon (here), the picture of Opus#2 has + SE215 next to it?  It's almost like you get a free SE215 with a purchase or am I reading it wrong?  Nowhere else in the listing it mentions SE215.

... just confirmed, SE215 is included FREE with purchase of Opus#2 :D

Seems to be a combo :D. Really, I am shopping for Christmas and the Opus #2 has the pricing just as much as Plenue S. It is very hard to decide on, not to mention WM1Z :xf_eek:....this hobby is killing me

Opus #2 has inferior specs on paper, except dual DAC with cirrus amp VS Plenue S. Both offers the USB-DAC function though and the Sony doesn't.

Plenue S has no wifi or Bluetooth just like Sony, Opus #2 has wifi and Bluetooth and Sony has Bluetooth and NFC but no wifi...lol

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #142 of 1,185

You will get plenty of power, depending on your headphone requirements, of course..  The balanced output is 2.5Vrms which should translate approximately into 390mW @16 ohm.

Regarding battery, as you know nobody has a replaceable battery now. In terms of a design, you have easily accessible 4 corner screws.  Perhaps, if you are careful, the DAP can be opened for service to replace the battery, but most likely the warranty will be voided.  But then, by the time you need to replace the battery - it will be long after the warranty expires :wink:

how is this calculated?  I am trying to make a comparison and do not know how o translate the Vrms spec into a mw rating....

Thanks!

Mark

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #143 of 1,185

You will get plenty of power, depending on your headphone requirements, of course..  The balanced output is 2.5Vrms which should translate approximately into 390mW @16 ohm.

Regarding battery, as you know nobody has a replaceable battery now. In terms of a design, you have easily accessible 4 corner screws.  Perhaps, if you are careful, the DAP can be opened for service to replace the battery, but most likely the warranty will be voided.  But then, by the time you need to replace the battery - it will be long after the warranty expires :wink:

how is this calculated?  I am trying to make a comparison and do not know how o translate the Vrms spec into a mw rating....

Thanks!

Mark

Just a basic calculation: P=V*I=V^2/R=2.5^2 / 16 = 0.390 W

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #144 of 1,185
Well, I made my call, and I bought Opus #2. I have heard good things about Opus original, and I love the balanced out with dual DAC, the wifi, OTA firmware, and the Bluetooth function. Battery life for 10 hours is great, and charging within 4 hours is even better. My mistakes, cirrus logic is Opus #1 and #2 is ESS Sabres. We will see how it perform, Opus #2 is priced twice that of Onkyo DP-X1A which also sport dual DAC of the same ESS company but it uses Op-amps from ESS as well. I am not sure what amplification Opus #2 has

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #145 of 1,185

thanks, it was the v-squared/r part that I was not finding......    I am trying to compile a spreadsheet of pertinent specs for my stuff, which includes power output along with efficiency/impedence of my iems,  

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #146 of 1,185

thanks, it was the v-squared/r part that I was not finding......    I am trying to compile a spreadsheet of pertinent specs for my stuff, which includes power output along with efficiency/impedence of my iems,  

Yeah, P = V * I and V = I * R, so you derive "I" from the 2nd equation and substitute into the first one
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #148 of 1,185

Yeah, P = V * I and V = I * R, so you derive "I" from the 2nd equation and substitute into the first one
wink.gif

So following your fomulations... I think...
P should be I^2 * R... not V^2/R :v 

And how are you going to calculate power without knowing current?
wink.gif
  You can derive Power equation two different ways, depending on the available data to use for calculation.  You don't know the current, but you do the voltage (2.5Vrms is given) and you choose the impedance of your load (I was using 16ohm, but you can calculate for a different value).

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #149 of 1,185

wink.gif
  You can derive Power equation two different ways, depending on the available data to use for calculation.  You don't know the current, but you do the voltage (2.5Vrms is given) and you choose the impedance of your load (I was using 16ohm, but you can calculate for a different value).

Nah, I just follow the fomulations :p 
P = V * I
V = I * R
So P = (I * R) * I
that make me so confuse ^.^

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #150 of 1,185

wink.gif

Nah, I just follow the fomulations :p 
P = V * I
V = I * R
So P = (I * R) * I
that make me so confuse ^.^

and I = V / R to substitute into P = V * I

that's what happens when we're waiting for Opus#2 next fw update, and ... turn to Ohm's law equation and basic math
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back