thebit Opus#1S DAP impressions
Oct 23, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #586 of 945
has anybody gotten the #1s to work with the xDSD? I tried an OTG cable but have not had any luck getting the #1s to recognize it.

Nevermind, I got it to work. standard USB OTG cable. The xDSD has be be connected and turned on first then power on the #1s for it to find the xdsd and work properly. Now to decide if the SQ is better with just the #1s or with the xdsd attached. I already know the output power is way higher on the xDSD but am I trading SQ for it?

I like xDSD a bit more for its sound alone, but I do not think it is worth the effort of carrying it if you already have #1s, it is good enough for portable. I am going to be comparing it with iBasso DX120 though, because they may be a bit closer and more similar than most may imagine :)

On the other hand, there are days when I strap xDSD to my phone and go that way, so I do like xDSD quite a bit, just not seeing it that much of a feasible setup with #1s, as #1s is already pretty big physically and has a ton of power and a nice sound :)

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #587 of 945
I have found an interesting problem with the xDSD connected to the Opus #1s too. It works well as long as the track is 16/44. anything 24/96 or 24/192 does not work correctly and sounds like it is trying to play every other frame. The tracks work fine when played directly on the opus and they work fine when played from a laptop/foobar to the xDSD so it is something in the USB OTG mechanism that seems to be limiting the output ot 16/44.

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #588 of 945
This is kind of an odd question, but has anyone had any luck connecting the Opus #1S to a PS4 via USB DAC? I am able to connect it but I can't appear to get the sound to output through the player. However, connecting the Opus#1S via USB DAC to the Switch works like a charm...

Nov 13, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #589 of 945
Just returned my FiiOX5iii to Amazon as I had a few issues with it after loading up two 400GB SD cards of music :

Slow, stalling, unresponsive UI scrolling
No olyrics showing up
Confusing switching between Android mode and Pure Music mode
Sound even with EQ set did not seem any better than my old iPod to my aged ears
Missing albums despite them being on the SD cards
Poor WiFi

There were features on it that I would never use ( streaming etc ) so I'm now looking at the #1S or I spotted a second hand #1 Metal version but I'm thinking of sticking to the #1S brand new one

I'm looking for good quality reproduction of both my AAC files and my lossless ALAC along with a few GB of 24/96 HiRes files

My main concerns are a good smooth responsive UI and improvement in sound quality over a stock iPod.

Am I looking at the right unit ?

Nov 13, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #590 of 945
Just returned my FiiOX5iii to Amazon as I had a few issues with it after loading up two 400GB SD cards of music :

No olyrics showing up
Poor WiFi

There were features on it that I would never use ( streaming etc ) so I'm now looking at the #1S or I spotted a second hand #1 Metal version but I'm thinking of sticking to the #1S brand new one

I'm looking for good quality reproduction of both my AAC files and my lossless ALAC along with a few GB of 24/96 HiRes files

My main concerns are a good smooth responsive UI and improvement in sound quality over a stock iPod.

Possibly.

I use two 400GB cards and it works fine.

The UI is simple but works great. I am a simple man who mainly plays albums. Perhaps you might want more.

I have no complaints at all with regards to sound quality.

Caveats:

- I don't even know if it does lyrics
- No wifi at all

Nov 13, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #592 of 945
Thanks Ben.

Yes I mainly listen to albums all the way through but do have a number of playlists too. Main reasons, as I said, were sound quality, non crashing and responsive UI, solid build ( feel the quality )

In that case you should be good to go with it.

In terms of build quality, it's remarkably well put together. I don't think it'll survive getting smashed onto concrete but it feels great, and it's taken quite a beating from me. It sits in your hand nicely and the material choices are well thought out.

Other downsides that spring to mind:

- Standby battery power is poor. Best to power off.
- Library updates can take some time.

Nov 13, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #593 of 945
I've been researching for several weeks and within my budget there were only a few options which included double SD card slots. Once they are in there it would only be the odd additional album added. I just didnt want to keep swapping SD cards as I know the library scans can take a while.

There is quite a leap up in price from my $500 budget to the next ones so this looks like it.

How does it do on playlists ?

Also does it handle AAC as well as ALAC, the website is unclear ( the #2 actually states AAC but the #1S does not ) ?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #597 of 945

No olyrics showing up
Poor WiFi

Definitely. Absolutely. UI is smooth as butter. I bought it for that, and the fact that it's sole intent is to play your hi quality audio files with a great sounding experience. If that's what you're after, this DAP will serve you well. It plays my 32 bit WAV files just fine. I couldn't be happier. If I want all the other bells and whistles, I have my V40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back