thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Oct 3, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #3,286 of 4,190
Hi All, Does anyone who has the Metal version care to give me some comparison with the older plastic version? Is it worth the extra150$ on amazon?
Thanks in advance

I have metal version, I do not remember much about the plastic.

Do you want a metal build quality? No? then recommended to get $309 ABS Plastic version.
I honestly do not believe there is much difference besides a little extra EMI protection. It will be wrapped in Indian Kip leather case and you will not notice whether it's plastic or metal once it's in.

You do however get a $0.25 cent OP-AMP upgrade to another $0.25 OP-AMP so take that for granted :/

Agreed, Unless you want the metal body i'd doubt there would be any real difference in sound with the newer opamp.

$309 is a steal for such a great lil player.

That really depends on the quality of IEMs you're going to be using. The op-amp upgrade will give you a less colored sound in the mids and uppers but you can't really tell unless you're using IEMs where you can tell such difference. Also a less colored sound may not be ideal for some, I often wish I'd have gotten the plastic because I value emotion in sound very much. If you're worried about looks, as soon as you slip the case on you can barely tell which version is which until you really get in good lighting of the small percentage that's not covered by the case.

For the price delta I would grab the original Opous#1 and put the rest of the money towards a U8 or something in that range. The resolution is excellent on both players, the op-amp will only change some of the coloration or lack of in the mids and highs (and even here less coloration doesn't have to be a good thing depending on the IEM you're using)

@JaeYoon is right, the case is amazing, op-amp upgrade is on the negligible side and @alphanumerix1 has a strong case in regards to that.

P.S. I don't know about others, but the machining on one of my micro SD slots was off by ~1mm and I had to open it up with a dremel to get my micro SD back out, I may be the only that has happened to but I wanted to put that out there

Whichever version you get I believe you won't be disappointed. Good luck and enjoy, all the best to you.

P.S.S. thanks @JaeYoon for steering me onto this amazing DAP, I drain it every day =D

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #3,287 of 4,190
Many thanks to all who gave tbeir valued views on the daps. So I guess I will be going in for the plastic version. Also has anyone tried out the new 400gb micro sd cards in the opus?

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #3,288 of 4,190
OMG so scary. so I deleted some songs, and tried to fix it's tags (Edit my tags and add cool new album artwork) and reupload songs onto my sandisk card. It wouldn't. I unplugged Opus #1 after it was safe to remove. Replugged it in, and noticed the folder is still there. The player also shows the songs for some reason are still in there.

I reset the DB, and it wouldn't reset. I tried a factory reset and that didn't work either. What worked was unmounting the SD card, and remounting it. It reloaded the Database and everything is fine now.
I replugged it into my laptop and everything is good.

That's weird..... anyhow, MTP is a divine blessing on this, as you can just remove the USB cable and it wouldn't damage the data on the card, as it doesn't access deep like USB mass storage.

I've been having the same thing happen to me, except just remounting the card didn't work. Last weekend I finally decided to just pull the card out and grab my usb adaptor. I plugged it into my computer and made the same updates that I had previously tried to make. Plug the card back into my Opus, and everything is updated as it should be. I had been trying to update my music for a while as I had some music get corrupted during the transfer. If that didn't work, I was going to reformat my cards which I was not looking forward to. 200 gb card with only classical and a 128 gb card with everything else. Glad I didn't have to go that route since my OCD takes over when I organize my music and makes the process take forever.

Changing gears, anybody here try the 64 Audio U10 with the Opus #1? Thinking about going to the next price bracket.

Oct 3, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #3,290 of 4,190
I follow a pattern to avoid the "hanging" when removing/inserting sd cards on my Opus#1.

removing
- play something from the internal memory
- go to settings and eject the card
- go back to Now Playing screen by pressing the play button on the upper right of the settings screen
- no hang

inserting (just to make sure scanning starts immediately without restarting)
- make sure the screen is on
- insert the card
- wait and make sure the "scanning" indicator shows up at the top of the screen

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #3,291 of 4,190
Many thanks to all who gave tbeir valued views on the daps. So I guess I will be going in for the plastic version. Also has anyone tried out the new 400gb micro sd cards in the opus?
I have formatted one in my OPUS#2 and it it recognized properly.

I haven't had a chance to copy my songs on to it yet.

Oct 3, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #3,292 of 4,190
Changing gears, anybody here try the 64 Audio U10 with the Opus #1? Thinking about going to the next price bracket.

Great pairing with the U12, so you can bet it'll be wonderful with U10 as well. :wink:

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #3,293 of 4,190
Great pairing with the U12, so you can bet it'll be wonderful with U10 as well. :wink:

Thank you for the help. I have been reading some reviews on the U10, and most people have been saying that it has a really smooth sound. Smooth sounding gear doesn't typically work great for classical, but I'm hoping the quick decay of the Opus will help. I'm very interested in the Apex module as I've been having issues with ear pressure lately. It started with the LZ-A4, which surprised me since it is an open design. It may have been how far I had to shove the tip into my ear to get a good seal. If I hadn't had issues with the fit I would still be rocking the LZ-A4 as the sound with black filters and balanced cable came very close to my ideal sound. The A4 also had a smoother sound, but still sounded natural with a wide soundstage and a good amount of micro details. Have you had a chance to compare the two?

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #3,294 of 4,190
No, I haven't.

You may want to look into the Empire Ears Spartan ADEL.

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #3,296 of 4,190
No, I haven't.

You may want to look into the Empire Ears Spartan ADEL.

Just went to the website, and I'm liking what I see. I like how like how they say that the Hermes would be good for saxophonists. They're really getting specific on their targeted users. I'll have to look through the line up and see if any are recommended for tuba players.

I'm gonna buy my Athenas next week!
I met their new team member Ethan Groover.

They even took high resolution photos of Athena in different universal colors just me. :xf_eek:

You'll have to let us know how it pairs up with the Opus. I haven't found a pairing that I didn't like, so I'm sure we'll hear good things.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #3,297 of 4,190
@goldtuba for sure thanks!!!

Also been listening to some Tom Petty and Arabic music recently.
Unfortunately too lazy to remove Andromeda from my ears. I'm finding it more difficult to take photos of Andromeda cause it's much more enjoyable to keep it on :p

I read up many things that you need a sony dap that has 2ohm output for Andromeda. They are all expensive players in 1000s.

Opus 1 can do that for 1/3 the price in Unbalanced output.
20171004_063709.jpg
20171002_205107_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #3,298 of 4,190
Received my Opus yesterday! Very quick first impressions... brighter and more analytical than my Mojo, to the point that some harsher recordings are borderline fatiguing. Smoother, better recorded tracks sound sublime, however.

It's very revealing... initially I was disappointed listening to Susanne Sundfor (24bit FLAC through SE846s), because I heard some distortion I hadn't picked up on before and blamed the Opus, but listening on my other sources, it's there in all of them and the Opus simply lays it bare.

Does this thing 'burn in' at all?

In the meantime, I'm going to try the blue filters in my Shures to try and tame the sharper edges. I'll also try pairing with my HE400s later to see how it performs.

Oct 5, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #3,299 of 4,190
Received my Opus yesterday! Very quick first impressions... brighter and more analytical than my Mojo, to the point that some harsher recordings are borderline fatiguing. Smoother, better recorded tracks sound sublime, however.

It's very revealing... initially I was disappointed listening to Susanne Sundfor (24bit FLAC through SE846s), because I heard some distortion I hadn't picked up on before and blamed the Opus, but listening on my other sources, it's there in all of them and the Opus simply lays it bare.

Does this thing 'burn in' at all?

In the meantime, I'm going to try the blue filters in my Shures to try and tame the sharper edges. I'll also try pairing with my HE400s later to see how it performs.

Most people refer to mojo as warm and smooth. You just used to its sound sig. Opus is more neutral. Also, people have different sensitivity to high frequencies. Personally, i find 846 treble to be harsh to my ears. I mean, everybody hears things different. Perhaps, combination of brighter more revealing iem with smoother warmer source had a better sound balance to your ears. Now, you changed the variable of this equation, replacing your source, making it more neutral, and you offset that balance.

Oct 5, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #3,300 of 4,190
Most people refer to mojo as warm and smooth. You just used to its sound sig. Opus is more neutral. Also, people have different sensitivity to high frequencies. Personally, i find 846 treble to be harsh to my ears. I mean, everybody hears things different. Perhaps, combination of brighter more revealing iem with smoother warmer source had a better sound balance to your ears. Now, you changed the variable of this equation, replacing your source, making it more neutral, and you offset that balance.
I think you're right. I'd never found the SE846s to be harsh with the Mojo, hence why I was on the white filters and Spin Tips, but that was probably due to the Mojo being so smooth. l will try it with the blues and the OEM olives to see if it helps, which I suspect it will.

Before my SE846s, I used (and loved) Ety ER-4Ps so I'm not adverse to a bright, analytical sound. As you say, I probably just need to wait for my ears to recalibrate!

I'm also starting to realise that not all supposedly 'Hi Res' recordings were made equal... I think I've got to the point where the quality of the ones and zeroes have become the weakest link.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back