thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Sep 28, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #3,271 of 4,190
Yeah, the older lithium batteries were designed to let it lower in charge and then charge back up. But that hasn't been the case since many many years ago. All Lithium-Ion and Lithium-Polymer (which are still technically Lithium-Ion, just with a thinner encasing to fit into smaller areas) need to stay at a high charge to keep their charge. They're like springs. When 100% charged they are fully squeezed-in. When you let that spring stretch out by losing charge, they lose their strength. Thus to help them last longer you want to keep them at a high charge at all times if possible, and above all else never leave them off at a low charge without charging them. This will kill the battery, and fast. I lost my FiiO X3 when it was dead, and when I found it a month or so later it would not even hold half the charge it used to. The first month the battery is in use is also critical to stay at high percentages, so if you're near an outlet then charge it.

There is much evidence and there are many studies on the internet that back this info. You can find it pretty easily. Everyone just tends to believe the rumor based on old batteries that you want to let the charge drop down to 20% or lower and then fully charge it again. This is incorrect and will slowly kill the battery.

Uh-oh

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #3,272 of 4,190
Hi guys not been on so much lately can anyone tell me if 2.00.07 is still the last firmware update for oppy1? I'm getting a few more stopped working bugs than normal/acceptable lately.... think/feel this is a software issue , I know a few of us have android stopped working crashes but mine seems to be getting worse .
I have reset player today to see if it solves it I also will reformat cards just in case it's making it glitch.
But if not solving I'm still in warranty.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #3,273 of 4,190
Hi guys not been on so much lately can anyone tell me if 2.00.07 is still the last firmware update for oppy1? I'm getting a few more stopped working bugs than normal/acceptable lately.... think/feel this is a software issue , I know a few of us have android stopped working crashes but mine seems to be getting worse .
I have reset player today to see if it solves it I also will reformat cards just in case it's making it glitch.
But if not solving I'm still in warranty.

sorry to hear that your #1 is acting up - but yes, 2.00.07 is still the latest firmware

http://www.audio-opus.com/?page_id=15757

Sep 30, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #3,275 of 4,190
Sometimes it seems fine acceptable get the odd android stops working or can't play file , retry and it works ok but sometimes it can do it a few times in a row and I have to power off and rescan.
I am thinking it possibly is firmware or being able to read the card...i had a similar experience with a fiio x7 that would double boot and freeze not play file on occasion reformatted card to exfat and it was fine after , I can't remember exactly but read somewhere android likes certain formats better than others.
I love this player and would buy another in a heartbeat so I hope I can sort it one way or another.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #3,276 of 4,190
OMG so scary. so I deleted some songs, and tried to fix it's tags (Edit my tags and add cool new album artwork) and reupload songs onto my sandisk card. It wouldn't. I unplugged Opus #1 after it was safe to remove. Replugged it in, and noticed the folder is still there. The player also shows the songs for some reason are still in there.

I reset the DB, and it wouldn't reset. I tried a factory reset and that didn't work either. What worked was unmounting the SD card, and remounting it. It reloaded the Database and everything is fine now.
I replugged it into my laptop and everything is good.

That's weird..... anyhow, MTP is a divine blessing on this, as you can just remove the USB cable and it wouldn't damage the data on the card, as it doesn't access deep like USB mass storage.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #3,277 of 4,190
That's weird..... anyhow, MTP is a divine blessing on this, as you can just remove the USB cable and it wouldn't damage the data on the card, as it doesn't access deep like USB mass storage.

Yikes! I didn't know that about MTP. I went through numerous Sansa Clips and SD cards over the years, even when I did everything right it still happened sometimes... thanks to this I have a habit of not using local storage on my DAPs, but I guess it is not as risky as I was imagining.

Oct 1, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #3,278 of 4,190
Yikes! I didn't know that about MTP. I went through numerous Sansa Clips and SD cards over the years, even when I did everything right it still happened sometimes... thanks to this I have a habit of not using local storage on my DAPs, but I guess it is not as risky as I was imagining.

Yes, unlike USB Mass Storage protocol, which all flash media (flash drives, SD cards) and much older phones use, MTP protocol allows accessing the data from multiple sources without locking the filesystem. This means you can connect a phone or device that has MTP, and the device can still access the data while you access it on the computer. Thus you can safely disconect the device at any time and it will not easily damage the filesystem or card. I find it odd that the OPUS#1 warns not to unplug the USB cable while transferring the data, because this is not really true with MTP. The worst that can happen is the free space that was being written to for the file that was transferring is locked as written, but that is erased with a format and you can start over. I also find it odd that the OPUS #1 locks the device while plugged in via USB, because it actually doesn't have to as it still has full access to the SD card while you are using MTP. But I think the guide explains this is to make sure it is receiving enough charge and doesn't allow music playing while plugged into a PC.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #3,280 of 4,190
Slot 2 seems a bit flakey on the opus 1. Having had two microsd cards corrupted by Daps in the past, I now only use a card reader for loading /editing music files. Plus it's faster.
Much, much faster - especially for moving between folders on the same card. MTP is a pita

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #3,282 of 4,190
Ok fingers crossed I have stopped my oppy1 glitches, my card was formatted to exfat because i was having issues on my fiio x7 and was recommended to format to that for the fiio which it solved.
I formatted back to ntfs and so far no glitches android stopped working etc, or not reading a track, seems to be reading database quicker as well.
As I said fingers crossed.

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #3,283 of 4,190
Hi All, Does anyone who has the Metal version care to give me some comparison with the older plastic version? Is it worth the extra150$ on amazon?
Thanks in advance

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #3,284 of 4,190
Hi All, Does anyone who has the Metal version care to give me some comparison with the older plastic version? Is it worth the extra150$ on amazon?
Thanks in advance
I have metal version, I do not remember much about the plastic.

Do you want a metal build quality? No? then recommended to get $309 ABS Plastic version.
I honestly do not believe there is much difference besides a little extra EMI protection. It will be wrapped in Indian Kip leather case and you will not notice whether it's plastic or metal once it's in.

You do however get a $0.25 cent OP-AMP upgrade to another $0.25 OP-AMP so take that for granted :/

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #3,285 of 4,190
I have metal version, I do not remember much about the plastic.

Do you want a metal build quality? No? then recommended to get $309 ABS Plastic version.
I honestly do not believe there is much difference besides a little extra EMI protection. It will be wrapped in Indian Kip leather case and you will not notice whether it's plastic or metal once it's in.

You do however get a $0.25 cent OP-AMP upgrade to another $0.25 OP-AMP so take that for granted :/

Agreed, Unless you want the metal body i'd doubt there would be any real difference in sound with the newer opamp.

$309 is a steal for such a great lil player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back