thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Apr 8, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #271 of 4,190
Just tried the Opus#1 and I think I prefer this over my Onkyo Dp1X. The Opus just sounds more musical. Has better headroom and some air to it as compared to the Dp1x. Question is whether to buy the Opus and sell the DP1x. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #272 of 4,190
  Just tried the Opus#1 and I think I prefer this over my Onkyo Dp1X. The Opus just sounds more musical. Has better headroom and some air to it as compared to the Dp1x. Question is whether to buy the Opus and sell the DP1x. 

I think the decision becomes a lot easier if you take into consideration streaming.  If you are using DP-X1 for Spotify/Tidal on-line streaming and need wifi - keep it.  If you are after the best sound quality, switch to Opus#1.  Btw, I don't have or ever heard DP-X1, but been told by a few others who prefer Opus over it as well.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #273 of 4,190

Are you talking about the latest AK120ii?  I have access to that one.  AK120ii is very good when it comes to background noise suppression, probably due to its amp section implementation, and also less powerful output (higher power will not only boost your signal level but also a noise floor).  But AK120ii is nowhere near sound quality of Opus#1
wink.gif

Working on different reviews now, didn't get to Opus#1 yet.  When I get a chance to spend more time with it, besides just spot checking, I will do a closer listening.  After the latest fw update (not from the last night but the one before), I don't hear much difference in sound quality between bal and se HO outputs.  Plus, these guys are still in a process of fw updates, makes no sense to review  yet if they are still working on sound improvement.  But to be honest, I really liking what I'm hearing right now.  I know that i5 and DX200 are just around the corner.  Will see...  Too many quality DAP releases at a very reasonable price
biggrin.gif

This might not be a far comparison but, how would you rate sq between DX80/iDSD to the Opus#1. I absolutely love the sound  of the DX80/Micro just want one in a pint size for my CIEMs when I want portability.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #274 of 4,190

This might not be a far comparison but, how would you rate sq between DX80/iDSD to the Opus#1. I absolutely love the sound  of the DX80/Micro just want one in a pint size for my CIEMs when I want portability.

Haven't tried the DX80/ iDSD, so can't comment too much on that.  I've got the iFi Micro (original and SE on hand now) and the DX50.  DX50 stand alone is warmer but less resolving and overall expansive.  Solid win for the Opus#1 in this regard.   I don't think the Opus#1 wouldn't fare too well against a dedicated amp section like an iFi Micro (did you perhaps mean the nano?), but as a stand alone package it will hold its own fairly well, especially when balanced.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #275 of 4,190
Thanks for your thoughts!
I own the iDSD Micro and the DX80 and together they are what I look for in sound. I have a DX90 to if that could be used for comparison. Does anyone like this overall more then the Mojo? I know its subjective and YMMV, just looking for what your initial impressions are to devices Ive had or have.

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #276 of 4,190
I own the iDSD Micro and the DX80 and together they are what I look for in sound. I have a DX90 to if that could be used for comparison. Does anyone like this overall more then the Mojo? I know its subjective and YMMV, just looking for what your initial impressions are to devices Ive had or have.

I was planning to compare Opus to other DAPs, not dap/dac/amp combos, but can certainly look into DX80/Micro stack up against Opus.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #277 of 4,190

That would be very interesting, indeed.

I was planning to compare Opus to other DAPs, not dap/dac/amp combos, but can certainly look into DX80/Micro stack up against Opus.

Looking forward to this.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #279 of 4,190
You can trade with me hehe ^.^

What made you prefer the Onkyo over the Opus? I'm considering because streaming from Spotify and Apple has been my main source of music but Opus really performs well and it's ui is fast and snappy.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #280 of 4,190
Regarding battery testing, I'm running a new set of tests now (after 1.10.23 update), so will update on the final test results soon.  I brought Opus#1 with me to work and using iBasso burn-in load attachment for testing so I don't disturb my co-workers.  So far 3.5 hrs in and I already see the improvement based on the remaining bars and in comparison to my previous tests.  Also, I noticed once Opus#1 is fully charged, the 4 battery segments turn "teal" (or whatever you call that color) while micro-usb charging cable is still plugged in.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #281 of 4,190
What made you prefer the Onkyo over the Opus? I'm considering because streaming from Spotify and Apple has been my main source of music but Opus really performs well and it's ui is fast and snappy.

^.^ I just wanna experience myself with DPX1, I can't borrow it from my friend rite now ^.^
The only thing made me decide to chance becuz of OPUS's background noise :frowning2: My 846 is kind of so sensitive. I can't stand with most of the sound I heard is noise if I play music with small volume (1/150) 
If I use it in day time :3 there will be nothing to complain but the wonderful sound it give me :D 

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #282 of 4,190
  Regarding battery testing, I'm running a new set of tests now (after 1.10.23 update), so will update on the final test results soon.  I brought Opus#1 with me to work and using iBasso burn-in load attachment for testing so I don't disturb my co-workers.  So far 3.5 hrs in and I already see the improvement based on the remaining bars and in comparison to my previous tests.  Also, I noticed once Opus#1 is fully charged, the 4 battery segments turn "teal" (or whatever you call that color) while micro-usb charging cable is still plugged in.

Got exactly 8.5 hrs of battery life with this test combo.  Now we are talking business!  After I recharge it, will do the same test overnight with headphones connected to balanced output.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #284 of 4,190
Ok, now for some real battery test results, since I wasn't using iBasso burn-in cable this time.  Running on 1.10.23 latest firmware, Opus#1 was fully charged, I used the new Fidue A83FB hybrids (hardwired cable with 2.5mm TRRS balanced termination).  Started at 2pm on a dot and just run out of battery at 12:20am.  That's 10:20 min on a single battery charge with volume set at 80, playing with a screen off, just periodically turning the screen on for battery status update.  I will repeat the test again tomorrow with 3.5mm HO output.  It does look like DAP was optimized to improve battery life, and maybe battery performance improved after half a dozen of charge cycles, and I'm also thinking that battery self-calibration resulted in a more accurate reading where previously I thought I was starting from 100% while battery could have been not fully charged.  Keep in mind A83 are efficient and easy to drive, while harder to drive IEMs/full size will drain battery faster, but nevertheless - still very impressive!

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #285 of 4,190
@twister6 I got a question for you. What AK DAP do you have there? Can you do a comparison? I'm getting feedback that "micro details" in songs is the weakness of Opus#1.
I can't confirm this since I don't have an AK on hand. I'm not starting an AK vs Opus war, but curious how does it fare with other more expensive DAPs. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back