thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Apr 7, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #256 of 4,190

Are you talking about the latest AK120ii?  I have access to that one.  AK120ii is very good when it comes to background noise suppression, probably due to its amp section implementation, and also less powerful output (higher power will not only boost your signal level but also a noise floor).  But AK120ii is nowhere near sound quality of Opus#1
wink.gif

Working on different reviews now, didn't get to Opus#1 yet.  When I get a chance to spend more time with it, besides just spot checking, I will do a closer listening.  After the latest fw update (not from the last night but the one before), I don't hear much difference in sound quality between bal and se HO outputs.  Plus, these guys are still in a process of fw updates, makes no sense to review  yet if they are still working on sound improvement.  But to be honest, I really liking what I'm hearing right now.  I know that i5 and DX200 are just around the corner.  Will see...  Too many quality DAP releases at a very reasonable price
biggrin.gif

Reviewer problems hahaha!  Cheers m8 and good luck with the writing.

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #257 of 4,190

Just installed 1.10.22 fw and spent about 15min listening.  I kid you not, have my PAW Gold next to me, and I can't hear too much difference between LPG and Opus#1.  If anything, Opus#1 is slightly more balanced/neutral while LPG has a little stronger mid-bass impact.  I think I prefer Opus#1 over LPG at the current moment.  Can't believe I'm actually saying that.

Regarding changes, right away I noticed that 3.5mm SE and 2.5mm Balanced have the same volume level now.  I'm a bit surprised.  Before, balanced output was noticeably louder, but now they sound nearly the same.  Testing with ES60, had my volume set at 65, sounds nearly the same from SE vs Balanced.  Another big change, soundstage width improved slightly AND the whole soundstage expansion is now nearly the same between SE and Balanced HO outputs.  Again, without downgrading the fw, I remember balanced output was slightly wider in addition to louder.  Now, it would be hard to tell them apart, both powerful enough, nearly the same sound quality, and nearly identical soundstage expansion.  And, now it's sounds even wider than LPG.

Regarding other stuff I mentioned in one of my earlier impression posts, nothing else has been fixed.  Boot up still takes about 30 seconds, after a few minutes of screen off it goes into some sleep mode where you can't use external transport controls, the artwork is messed up where the wrong ones shows up under different files, and when you start playing files from the root /Music/ directory, and skip through it (click Next) - it doesn't skip through the files in order how they appear in /Music/ directory, but rather builds up a Play Queue of all the files including subfolders and skips through that queue.  For now, the only solution for me is to create /Various/ folder where I put my loose files so I can skip through that folder separately.  Also, when you enable EQ, it doesn't tell you which custom EQ#1 is selected.  Again, all this are minor FW issue which could be easily fixed.  Overall, sound quality is fantastic!!!  I'm also thinking if boosting the core voltage had anything to do with a power level being the same between balanced and single ended.  Not sure how it could be related, but I have no other explanation.

Ok, so anybody else noticed that single ended and balanced outputs are nearly identical now?

Hi @twister6 I found a very convenient way to test SE and balanced outputs side by side. And I found out that balanced out is still louder than SE. Quality seems to be identical though.

Can you please elaborate more on your setup?  For example, you can't have both SE and Balanced outputs at the same time, has to be selected either/or.  I also see you have it going to some portable tube amp?

I did a quick test using my ears and the same pair of headphones.  All my IEMs/CIEMs use either Whiplash or Linum cables, 2.5mm balanced terminated and with 3.5mm SE adapter.  So I can switch back'n'forth using the same pair with the same volume setting.  But that is a relative comparison, obviously not 100% accurate.  I need to get SPL meter and take measurements to know for sure.

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #258 of 4,190

Are you talking about the latest AK120ii?  I have access to that one.  AK120ii is very good when it comes to background noise suppression, probably due to its amp section implementation, and also less powerful output (higher power will not only boost your signal level but also a noise floor).  But AK120ii is nowhere near sound quality of Opus#1
wink.gif

Working on different reviews now, didn't get to Opus#1 yet.  When I get a chance to spend more time with it, besides just spot checking, I will do a closer listening.  After the latest fw update (not from the last night but the one before), I don't hear much difference in sound quality between bal and se HO outputs.  Plus, these guys are still in a process of fw updates, makes no sense to review  yet if they are still working on sound improvement.  But to be honest, I really liking what I'm hearing right now.  I know that i5 and DX200 are just around the corner.  Will see...  Too many quality DAP releases at a very reasonable price
biggrin.gif

Reviewer problems hahaha!  Cheers m8 and good luck with the writing.

Some people wish they have this problem, but for me personally it has been more of a curse rather than a blessing lately.  Now, I have boxes with review stuff showing up at my door steps without me even requesting some of it.  I get an email afterwards saying, oh, btw, we thought you might be interested to review it, so we sent it to you, or I get products for review I requested 6-7months ago and wasn't even expecting to receive it...  This makes it hard to do a thorough full detailed review, and I end up writing a lot of different short impressions and updates in different threads instead...

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #259 of 4,190

Some people wish they have this problem, but for me personally it has been more of a curse rather than a blessing lately.  Now, I have boxes with review stuff showing up at my door steps without me even requesting some of it.  I get an email afterwards saying, oh, btw, we thought you might be interested to review it, so we sent it to you, or I get products for review I requested 6-7months ago and wasn't even expecting to receive it...  This makes it hard to do a thorough full detailed review, and I end up writing a lot of different short impressions and updates in different threads instead...

Yea the scheduling can be a total mess at times.  Can feel the crunch when several products roll in at around the same time.  

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #260 of 4,190

It's an Android based system, but not fully functioning android interface.  Basically, it's like DX80 or AK100ii/120ii/240/380 - it has Android OS running in the background, but on top you have a custom audio playback app/gui.  Other daps like X7 and DP-X1 have full android system where you can install your own apps and can also stream. 

Opus#2 will have a full android OS support with wifi, bluetooth, and other stuff.  But it's still in development.

I'm outta the loop. But are there currently any android based daps out there with wifi, bluetooth etc, and that can operate as phones?

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #261 of 4,190

It's an Android based system, but not fully functioning android interface.  Basically, it's like DX80 or AK100ii/120ii/240/380 - it has Android OS running in the background, but on top you have a custom audio playback app/gui.  Other daps like X7 and DP-X1 have full android system where you can install your own apps and can also stream. 

Opus#2 will have a full android OS support with wifi, bluetooth, and other stuff.  But it's still in development.

I'm outta the loop. But are there currently any android based daps out there with wifi, bluetooth etc, and that can operate as phones?

There are number of apps that will allow you to video/voice chat over wifi.  As far as a combination of a phone with 4G radio and dedicated DAP circuitry - there were a few attempts, but nothing too spectacular.  Marshall London was one: https://www.marshallheadphones.com/mh_us_en/london-phone.  I know LG just announced G5 in partnership with B&O and audio module (like in X7): http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-pairs-bang-olufsen-lg-g5s-hi-fi-audio-module

There are also quite a number of recent smartphones utilizing quality Sabre ESS DAC to improve the sound.  But you have to keep in mind, DAC alone is only part of the equation.  You need a quality amp stage and good filtering with decent caps, extra power, etc.  That takes room for a proper digital vs analog circuit isolation and bigger components, and you need power which going to put a toll on your battery.  Smartphones now are all about thinner design (even Samsung got rid of removable batteries to make their phones thinner) and extended battery performance.  That doesn't go hand in hand with a quality DAP where you want to have good sound and to be able to drive demanding headphones or stack it up with external amps or dac/amps.  Just my humble opinion.

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #262 of 4,190

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Nah, just the old AK120
and surely the noise of background is less than OPUS #1
And the SQ also =)) I know that
I don't think 120ii is worse than OPUS #1 :D I think background's hissing also could be counted in SQ ^.^ hehe 

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #263 of 4,190

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Nah, just the old AK120
and surely the noise of background is less than OPUS #1
And the SQ also =)) I know that
I don't think 120ii is worse than OPUS #1 :D I think background's hissing also could be counted in SQ ^.^ hehe 

It has been awhile since I listened to ak120ii, but remember LPG was ahead of it.  Opus#1 sounds close to LPG.  All a subjective opinion, of course!  Don't have SE846, but I do ES60 - my personal hissing champ
biggrin.gif
  With some songs, a little bit of hissing adds an analog subtle "flavor" to the song lol!!!!

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #264 of 4,190
It has been awhile since I listened to ak120ii, but remember LPG was ahead of it.  Opus#1 sounds close to LPG.  All a subjective opinion, of course!  Don't have SE846, but I do ES60 - my personal hissing champ :D   With some songs, a little bit of hissing adds an analog subtle "flavor" to the song lol!!!!

Lol =)) I can't find any one who using LPG in VN ^.^ anw I love the sound of Opus! But about that damn hissing :frowning2: with volume 1, 50% of what I hear is hissing T.T

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #266 of 4,190
Battery life seems to improves on the newer fw. Getting about 8 hours!

The one from yesterday?  Looking forward to it!  Indeed, a great news!

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #267 of 4,190
I just thoroughly tested Opus#1 next to my Note 4.  When 4G radio is off, just wifi and BT radio - there is no interference or crackle, dead silent when I have both sandwiched together.  When I turn the 4G radio on, I do hear an intermittent crackle, typically when I start playing the music.  But I only hear it when Opus#1 is right on top of Note 4 or right next to it.  2-3 inches or more away and there is no interference.

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #269 of 4,190
  I just thoroughly tested Opus#1 next to my Note 4.  When 4G radio is off, just wifi and BT radio - there is no interference or crackle, dead silent when I have both sandwiched together.  When I turn the 4G radio on, I do hear an intermittent crackle, typically when I start playing the music.  But I only hear it when Opus#1 is right on top of Note 4 or right next to it.  2-3 inches or more away and there is no interference.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back