thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Apr 5, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #228 of 4,190
I have the opus#1 with the 846 . It sounds good but i think it can be better...
Is it possible for the opus#1 to line in to the pha 3 ? Or anyone have try this setting before ?

When you say it "can be better", just curious in comparison to what other DAP?  846 has a very low impedance of 9 ohms, and I'm sure it will sound better with a DAP which has output impedance << than 1 ohm.  According to the spec, Opus#1 balanced output is 1 ohm and regular single ended 3.5mm output is 2 ohms.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #229 of 4,190
I have compared with the vantam opa627 sm ver and both of them sounds great . (Big soundstage and strong bass)But i have no idea for the balance of opus#1 to pha3...(line in?)

Anyway ,opus#1 is really a good player and the UI is friendly to use . (with the bugs which the artwork is missing )

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #230 of 4,190
Have you tried SE846 with PHA-3? It has output impedance around 3,3 ohms. I don't own PHA-3 anymore.

I wrote on another forum like two weeks ago, noticed that I listened from both outputs at same volume levels. (?) But they didn't sound identical.

Apr 5, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #232 of 4,190
  Just installed 1.10.22 fw and spent about 15min listening.  I kid you not, have my PAW Gold next to me, and I can't hear too much difference between LPG and Opus#1.  If anything, Opus#1 is slightly more balanced/neutral while LPG has a little stronger mid-bass impact.  I think I prefer Opus#1 over LPG at the current moment.  Can't believe I'm actually saying that.

Regarding changes, right away I noticed that 3.5mm SE and 2.5mm Balanced have the same volume level now.  I'm a bit surprised.  Before, balanced output was noticeably louder, but now they sound nearly the same.  Testing with ES60, had my volume set at 65, sounds nearly the same from SE vs Balanced.  Another big change, soundstage width improved slightly AND the whole soundstage expansion is now nearly the same between SE and Balanced HO outputs.  Again, without downgrading the fw, I remember balanced output was slightly wider in addition to louder.  Now, it would be hard to tell them apart, both powerful enough, nearly the same sound quality, and nearly identical soundstage expansion.  And, now it's sounds even wider than LPG.

Regarding other stuff I mentioned in one of my earlier impression posts, nothing else has been fixed.  Boot up still takes about 30 seconds, after a few minutes of screen off it goes into some sleep mode where you can't use external transport controls, the artwork is messed up where the wrong ones shows up under different files, and when you start playing files from the root /Music/ directory, and skip through it (click Next) - it doesn't skip through the files in order how they appear in /Music/ directory, but rather builds up a Play Queue of all the files including subfolders and skips through that queue.  For now, the only solution for me is to create /Various/ folder where I put my loose files so I can skip through that folder separately.  Also, when you enable EQ, it doesn't tell you which custom EQ#1 is selected.  Again, all this are minor FW issue which could be easily fixed.  Overall, sound quality is fantastic!!!  I'm also thinking if boosting the core voltage had anything to do with a power level being the same between balanced and single ended.  Not sure how it could be related, but I have no other explanation.

Ok, so anybody else noticed that single ended and balanced outputs are nearly identical now?

Did not tried the balanced output. Have been poisoned by this dap even with the single ended output. After the new firmware update, audio bliss!
Makes me wonder how the next firmware gonna sound like.

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #233 of 4,190
Do anyone notice of any hiss in the background of Opus #1 when playing music? 
I'm using The Fitear and SE846 with single end output
And hiss easily noticeable when starting play music and it only disappear after paused the music about 10-15 seconds 
I set the volume under 10, sometime 1 at night and below 70 on day time :D

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #234 of 4,190
  Do anyone notice of any hiss in the background of Opus #1 when playing music? 
I'm using The Fitear and SE846 with single end output
And hiss easily noticeable when starting play music and it only disappear after paused the music about 10-15 seconds 
I set the volume under 10, sometime 1 at night and below 70 on day time :D

I don't have the unit (am debating about whether or not to purchase it), but what you describe sounds like the delay between the amp circuitry engaging or disengaging depending on what the dap is ordered to do. I notice a number of players I've used are silent until the amp is engaged, in which case some of them get very hissy, and others only just so. Recorded music, too, has a background noise, sometimes clearly audible. That can also be a cause. But if another player, when volume matched, plays the same music without hiss, you can be sure it is down to the hardware. 

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #235 of 4,190
I don't have the unit (am debating about whether or not to purchase it), but what you describe sounds like the delay between the amp circuitry engaging or disengaging depending on what the dap is ordered to do. I notice a number of players I've used are silent until the amp is engaged, in which case some of them get very hissy, and others only just so. Recorded music, too, has a background noise, sometimes clearly audible. That can also be a cause. But if another player, when volume matched, plays the same music without hiss, you can be sure it is down to the hardware. 

Most worthwhile dap purchase for me in a long while :D

Apr 5, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #236 of 4,190
Most worthwhile dap purchase for me in a long while
biggrin.gif

Since DX100 I suppose:)

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #238 of 4,190
Naturally this is all subjective. The funny thing is that in camera land, where measurements really do bear out the quality of a device to capture or display reality (which technically, they do in the world of audio), people are extremely honest about what they think. They don't make excessive pronouncements without usually prefacing it with something like: '_I love_' vis-a-vis bokeh, or colour saturation, or noise. 

Haven't you heard about "Leica glow".... Sorry couldn't resist.

But on the topic, one person's opinion may be subjective, but if from 100 persons' opinions? Wouldn't that contribute to a probability that cut across a more general subjectivity? Just like every vote counts.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #240 of 4,190
Haven't you heard about "Leica glow".... Sorry couldn't resist.

But on the topic, one person's opinion may be subjective, but if from 100 persons' opinions? Wouldn't that contribute to a probability that cut across a more general subjectivity? Just like every vote counts.

BTW, I own and shoot Leica almost exclusively for events (embassy, company meet and greets), and appreciate the 'glow' from some lenses, but I'd never call it objectively good, or better. I like it: end of story. 

As to many people's opinions cutting out subjectivity: that simply isn't the case. You can have 100 people that believe in Santa Claus, but that doesn't make him real, or better than an alternative. And you can have one hundred people preferring yellow to blue, but that doesn't make yellow an objectively better colour. It is brighter. It reflects more light: those are objective measures, but 'better'? 

Measuring amount of hiss, dynamic range, stereo separation, frequency response - none of those things are subjective. And the 'way more mids or bass' thing that happens when people listen to equally neutral players (most are neutral even under load) proves that people are describing things they either don't understand, or didn't mean to. So, in the end, without objective stats, it is all subjective, as is the assertion that one player sounds 'better' than another. 

That doesn't make subjective opinions 'wrong' or 'bad'. But it means that there is no place for authoritative pronouncements vis-a-vis another's opinion about the same, or a different piece of hardware. I simply can't argue that yellow is a 'better' colour than blue. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back