thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Apr 19, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #2,342 of 4,190
I used/use balance on both units - i find the #1 more enjoyable/musical to listen to. Not as fatiguing as compared to the X7.

I came from fiio am2 to am3 and even though it was a definite step up i do at times find it fatiguing , i swapped back to am2 but am3 was still better in my eyes .
I am slightly treble sensitive though
Starting to feel even more comfident in my decision to get the opus 1 , roll on next week :grinning:
Again thanks for your imput guys.

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2,343 of 4,190
I finally bought an Opus #1 afting having been slightly disappointed by X5-iii autonomy and balanced output (nothing really bad sound-wise, but less than 8h autonomy and absolutely no benefit using the balanced output).
Since I have no use for streaming, I'm willing to try the Opus #1 because they now have polished the UI to a point where it is fully usable.

Should be an interesting comparison against Cayin N5 and X5-iii. Small price, big capacity. A&K KANN will make it even more interesting next month.

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #2,344 of 4,190
I had a first long listening session using 2.0.3 firmware, and then 2.0.5, and to my taste, it is a significant improvement into the "natural/fatigue-free" direction, while not sacrificing the high level of details and wide soundstage that characterizes this DAP.

Treble in 2.0.3 are quite forward and a bit too dry to my taste, cymbals have a very fast decay which doesn't sound very natural. But they are advantages like good clarity and extreme extension, but this can get very tiresome with IEMs already having bright treble (typically my Fidue Sirius become very aggressive in the treble with this firmware).
Bass in 2.0.3 are quite strong and impactful, which I like very much, but combined with bass-heavy IEMs (AK T8iE, Rose Capp MK2), this is a bit too much. Mids are a bit backwards compared to other DAPs (Cayin N5, FiiO X5-iii, LG V10), which bothered me when it comes to vocals and guitar. This was OK with the Sirius but again not so much with warmer IEMs.

When I switched to 2.0.5, there was a small decrease in bass (but still great), a big step forward for mids (vocals/guitar became really nice and distinct from the rest), a nice step backwards for treble with slower decay (although it could be a micro-touch slower for rendering even more realistic cymbals).

Overall, what impresses me the most with this DAP is the soundstage (very wide, especially in balanced mode), which is on par with Cayin N5 and wider than X5-iii (balanced output doesn't seem to help X5-iii as much as N5 and Opus #1). Detail retrieval is also extremely good (slightly superior to Cayin N5 and and very slightly superior to FiiO X5-iii). Background noise is very low, unlike N5 in balanced mode.

I'll spend more time with this little toy, but so far, it is a VERY pleasant experience, and the UI is by far the easiest to master that I have seen since the AK120, which is impressive. It took me less than 5 min to explore it, and even the old UI (my Opus came with a pre-Lollilop firmware) was already nice, despite the "difficult" EQ.

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #2,345 of 4,190
captblaze (or anyone else that can help),

I just bought an Opus #1 and saw your comment about using Line Out to your car stereo.  I assume you are talking about the Balanced output jack.  I'm confused on what type of cable to buy for the setup you're talking about.

Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #2,346 of 4,190
  captblaze (or anyone else that can help),

I just bought an Opus #1 and saw your comment about using Line Out to your car stereo.  I assume you are talking about the Balanced output jack.  I'm confused on what type of cable to buy for the setup you're talking about.

Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

​the 3.5 mm jack is the line out. I connect from that jack to the aux input on my car stereo. once connected I drop down the menu and activate the line out toggle. by doing this I bypass (or lock out) the volume control and it is set to maximum. make sure you have your car stereo volume set low to avoid getting an awful blast of sound. remember to connect first and then set the line out toggle.

occasionally it will falter when changing from one album to the next, but it infrequent and re toggling the line out corrects that issue

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #2,347 of 4,190

​the 3.5 mm jack is the line out. I connect from that jack to the aux input on my car stereo. once connected I drop down the menu and activate the line out toggle. by doing this I bypass (or lock out) the volume control and it is set to maximum. make sure you have your car stereo volume set low to avoid getting an awful blast of sound. remember to connect first and then set the line out toggle.

occasionally it will falter when changing from one album to the next, but it infrequent and re toggling the line out corrects that issue

Thanks very much for that.  Is the Balanced Output jack, then, only used for Balanced Headphones?

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #2,349 of 4,190
  I had a first long listening session using 2.0.3 firmware, and then 2.0.5, and to my taste, it is a significant improvement into the "natural/fatigue-free" direction, while not sacrificing the high level of details and wide soundstage that characterizes this DAP.

Treble in 2.0.3 are quite forward and a bit too dry to my taste, cymbals have a very fast decay which doesn't sound very natural. But they are advantages like good clarity and extreme extension, but this can get very tiresome with IEMs already having bright treble (typically my Fidue Sirius become very aggressive in the treble with this firmware).
Bass in 2.0.3 are quite strong and impactful, which I like very much, but combined with bass-heavy IEMs (AK T8iE, Rose Capp MK2), this is a bit too much. Mids are a bit backwards compared to other DAPs (Cayin N5, FiiO X5-iii, LG V10), which bothered me when it comes to vocals and guitar. This was OK with the Sirius but again not so much with warmer IEMs.

When I switched to 2.0.5, there was a small decrease in bass (but still great), a big step forward for mids (vocals/guitar became really nice and distinct from the rest), a nice step backwards for treble with slower decay (although it could be a micro-touch slower for rendering even more realistic cymbals).

Overall, what impresses me the most with this DAP is the soundstage (very wide, especially in balanced mode), which is on par with Cayin N5 and wider than X5-iii (balanced output doesn't seem to help X5-iii as much as N5 and Opus #1). Detail retrieval is also extremely good (slightly superior to Cayin N5 and and very slightly superior to FiiO X5-iii). Background noise is very low, unlike N5 in balanced mode.

I'll spend more time with this little toy, but so far, it is a VERY pleasant experience, and the UI is by far the easiest to master that I have seen since the AK120, which is impressive. It took me less than 5 min to explore it, and even the old UI (my Opus came with a pre-Lollilop firmware) was already nice, despite the "difficult" EQ.

How many hours do you have on #1 so far?  Give it about 100hrs of burn in before drawing the final conclusion
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #2,350 of 4,190
I love everything with the Opus 1, except the hiss u get with Zeus. It's not badly hissing, but enough to take away from quiet sections for me. I guess I could try ifi imatch, but I am not excited about it ergonomics adding onto the length of the cord.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #2,351 of 4,190

How many hours do you have on #1 so far?  Give it about 100hrs of burn in before drawing the final conclusion
wink.gif

This is why I said it was a "first long listening session", I'll need more time, and I'll need to retest my Cappuccinos MK2 once they're recabled because they cut quite a lot due to a deffective mmcx connector.
wink.gif

This being said, I'm glad I waited so long to get this DAP, because I would have been less happy before 2.0.5 and the mids change.
The only downside is that it's becoming difficult to find the leather case, they could have included it.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #2,352 of 4,190
To  me the difference in sq between the 2.0.3 and 2.0.5 is very subtle (if existing at all), I've probably got too old ears to hear it :wink: There's certainly not a night and day difference. I've used the 2.0.3 a lot and was afraid to update because I really enjoyed the player but the fear was unfounded.....

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #2,353 of 4,190
Begging your pardon, but I would like to add my video review of this fine piece of kit. I really enjoyed my time with the borrowed unit. Thanks @nmatheis. This really is a grand DAP, and one I will be looking for in the future. Love the sound, simple to use and just an all-around top unit. Outstanding job, theBit.

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #2,354 of 4,190
Begging your pardon, but I would like to add my video review of this fine piece of kit. I really enjoyed my time with the borrowed unit. Thanks @nmatheis
. This really is a grand DAP, and one I will be looking for in the future. Love the sound, simple to use and just an all-around top unit. Outstanding job, theBit.

No problem, bro. First PinkyPowers. Now you. My Opus #1 has been having quite the good time making the rounds recently.

:wink_face:

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #2,355 of 4,190
Begging your pardon, but I would like to add my video review of this fine piece of kit. I really enjoyed my time with the borrowed unit. Thanks @nmatheis
. This really is a grand DAP, and one I will be looking for in the future. Love the sound, simple to use and just an all-around top unit. Outstanding job, theBit.

How long have you been borrowing that? Three or four months? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back