The Zune HD has failed to impress most. Who should be competing against Apple and how?
Sep 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #46 of 101
If you wanted to compare the iPod to the Zii Egg, you shouldn't have spent the majority of your first post explaining that you were making that comparison because of how much the Zune HD sucks. You've angered the Zune-likers (and there are clearly many), and this thread is now useless.

You're obviously wrong about the Zune being irrelevant, no one liking it, its features not stacking up to those of the iPod no matter what your purposes for it are, etc. I, for instance, am most likely buying the Zune, first because I absolutely require a subscription music service. I'm a music lover before an audiophile, and if I bought all of the music I listen to individually, I would be homeless. Pandora wouldn't work for me, because I primarily listen to classical music. I want to listen to whole symphonies, not listen to the 2nd movement and then be forced to move on to something else, and I want to be able to listen to the best recordings available of given pieces, not whatever Pandora feels like spitting out. I also like the idea of being able to download music to the Zune without connecting to a computer.

Second, the HD radio is a huge plus for me. I listen to NPR almost exclusively, and the NPR station in my city broadcasts several HD subchannels. HD radio is also of much higher audio quality than FM radio. FM radio is equivalent to about 20kbps, whereas HD radio stations range from about 100kpbs to over 300kbps, sometimes even in surround sound, etc. The Zune HD can also fast forward and rewind HD radio.

Third, there's the OLED screen. The screen beats the iPod's in every category except for performance in direct sunlight hands down. It's definitely better for video playback. The iPod's screen is wider, but for widescreen media (which is primarily what I'll be using the Zune for) this is wasted space. You get the same size picture watching TV and movies on both devices. Web browsing is really the only time the iPod's 4:3 screen comes in handy.

Fourth, the user interface. Both the iPod and the Zune HD have sufficiently good user interfaces. I, being a music lover, prefer the Zune's. I love seeing album artwork in the background when music is playing, being able to read about the artists, etc. That the Zune automatically tags music wherever I get it from is also a huge plus. I tried it out at Best Buy, and thought the UI was beautiful and intuitive. The web browser is considered decent, but not as good as Apple's. For someone who will rarely use the web browser, this is good enough.

Fifth, the dock has a bitperfect spdif output. This is huge for me. It means that I can use it as my home music server with an excellent DAC. With DACs that have asynchronous sample rate converters and are thus virtually immune to jitter, this dock works just as well as any digital source available, regardless of price. It's hard to imagine a better home music server.

The iPod has some advantages over the Zune as well, such as the much more developed app store the option for more storage, etc, but I happen to not be too concerned about most of these. The only advantage the iPod has over the Zune that I DO care about is that its lineout is accessible. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do about this. But other than that, the Zune is the hands-down winner for my purposes.

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #47 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But other than that, the Zune is the hands-down winner for my purposes.

I like your rundown of what makes the Zune the best player for your purposes. I wish more people would defend their purchase like you did instead of lashing out like other people who didn't even buy the HD did. Kudos to you.

Personally, I prefer the whole "laptop in a pocket" approach to PMPs since my laptop is my entertainment center at home. I listen to online radio and podcasts exclusively (hate broadcast radio, including NPR) and I have a very eclectic taste for music that can only be satisfied by online radio and independent streaming sites. I like being able to just go to a site and downloading the podcast directly and listening to it, which the Zune couldn't do with its browser (but the Touch does) and I really couldn't stand there not being some way to listen to streams at all with the Zune. Connectivity for me is key in a PMP and it's the reason why I'll probably end up getting a touchscreen phone like a next-gen Pre or Blackberry touchscreen instead of something like the iPhone.

I have to say though, I hated both the Touch and Zune interfaces. One is clunky and the other feels too slow to me. The Zune interface was full of things I didn't care about and didn't have advanced playback features either. It just annoyed me to no end. Plus, the fact that the Zune HD has no volume rocker was just too ridiculous for me. It was bad enough I had to bore myself to death looking at artist pictures and commercial info, but not even a rocker? Ugh.

Add to that the limited codec support, no UMS, slow Wifi (I used it with my own router that I tweaked myself for speed) and the overly simplistic menu interface and options and I just couldn't even considering buying the Zune HD.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #48 of 101
^^couldnt you have just said this from the begining instead of bashing everyone and attacking them for loving their zune?your purposes are different from anyone who bought the zune for.as you can see,steaxauce for example made very valid points for why he will buy the zune and not any other pmp,the zune fullfils his needs and thus he likes it.you dont like the zune and you explained your reasons and i respect them,but you cant just say that the zune is the worst device ever made because it didnt live up to your demands.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #49 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^couldnt you have just said this from the begining instead of bashing everyone and attacking them for loving their zune?your purposes are different from anyone who bought the zune for.as you can see,steaxauce for example made very valid points for why he will buy the zune and not any other pmp,the zune fullfils his needs and thus he likes it.you dont like the zune and you explained your reasons and i respect them,but you cant just say that the zune is the worst device ever made because it didnt live up to your demands.

Sure I can. It's still way too basic for the price. It's a terrible buy.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #50 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a terrible buy.

FOR YOU,DONT FORGET THIS.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #51 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Second, the HD radio is a huge plus for me. I listen to NPR almost exclusively, and the NPR station in my city broadcasts several HD subchannels. HD radio is also of much higher audio quality than FM radio. FM radio is equivalent to about 20kbps, whereas HD radio stations range from about 100kpbs to over 300kbps, sometimes even in surround sound, etc. The Zune HD can also fast forward and rewind HD radio.

This is not actually the case, no radio caching is done.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #52 of 101
Neu, I've been following up on this and your last thread. I honestly can't help wondering why you endlessly keep bashing on the Zune (and iPod). It seems that you keep comparing the Zune to the iPod, saying it doesn't have as much features and such. You don't even like the iPod so why bother? And people have already gotten you're idea...you've gotten your point across LONG ago, so why continue? You're just being repetitive with whatever you have to say. And, what DAP or PMP will satisfy you at all? Seems like features is a great importance to you, and I don't know of anything more chock full of features than the Zune and Touch.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #53 of 101
Quote:

I wish more people would defend their purchase like you did instead of lashing out like other people who didn't even buy the HD did.

*cough*pot*cough*kettle*cough*cough*cough*

Sorry, must have had something in my throat...

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #54 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by jj94 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neu, I've been following up on this and your last thread. I honestly can't help wondering why you endlessly keep bashing on the Zune (and iPod). It seems that you keep comparing the Zune to the iPod, saying it doesn't have as much features and such. You don't even like the iPod so why bother? And people have already gotten you're idea...you've gotten your point across LONG ago, so why continue? You're just being repetitive with whatever you have to say. And, what DAP or PMP will satisfy you at all? Seems like features is a great importance to you, and I don't know of anything more chock full of features than the Zune and Touch.

The Zune and Touch are missing vital features that are easily found in other players. I guess I need to repeat myself even moreso since you can't seem to understand what I and others have been saying about the Zune's weaknesses.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #55 of 101
Quote:

The Zune and Touch are missing vital features that are easily found in other players. I guess I need to repeat myself even moreso since you can't seem to understand what I and others have been saying about the Zune's weaknesses.

Care to take on my wall of concise points, if you didn't see it yet?

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #56 of 101
Quote:

Many others have far greater weaknesses and I don't see people bashing on them like you do. And the Zune is a great DAP from my persepective. Sure I don't have it, but reviews, articles, and personal experience helped me to like it. What you think does not go, people have their own opinions. I keep thinking that you believe your opinion is superior, like someone already mentioned earlier. Seriously, just give this a break. I'm sure many people have had enough of this, and the constant bashing isn't going to help.

Sep 25, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #57 of 101
Quote:

please,indulge us with your knowledge and tell us the vital features found in other players except for more codecs support......

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #58 of 101
The participants in this thread can either choose to stay on topic and be civil with each other or they can look forward to loosing their right to post. Any more use of pseudo profanity in any thread will result in the same treatment.

You may now resume your previously scheduled Zune thread.

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #59 of 101
The Zune 120 rocks daddy-o!

120gigs of Rockabilly and DooWop and I am having a blast!

and i need more space as it is full...

the ZuneHD needs a 200+gig hard drive...!

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #60 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zune 120 rocks daddy-o!

120gigs of Rockabilly and DooWop and I am having a blast!

and i need more space as it is full...

the ZuneHD needs a 200+gig hard drive...!

I wish! I'm waiting for a 64GB Zune HD to come out, as well as some improvements to the browser and hopefully an application store. My Zune 80's full too, it would definitely be cool if Microsoft made a HDD-based Zune HD for those of us who are capacity freaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back